Bono Slates 'Unimaginative' Rock Bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think there's a difference between hating bubblegum pop as such and hating the fact that it dominates the radio so much. You can absolutely hate the latter without really hating the former. And to claim that deep down Bono "knows that Beyonce is crap" is to claim mind-reading IMO. Especially when he obviously doesn't think that all pop music is crap; he admires stuff like Bee Gees and ABBA, who many people put on their "crap music" list.

Bunbury said:

U2 makes rehashed music?? That is just not accurate.
Joshua Tree similar to Pop? Is that what you mean as rehashed or what? :eyebrow:

He probably meant ATYCLB was a rehashed JT. (I fail to see how, though)

I agree with those who say that there always were, are and probably will be manufactured bands/singers. That doesn't mean you have to listen or like it.
Plus pop has some great stuff, take Beatles or Abba or Beach Boys for example. The whole 60's music is now considered classic in pop(ular) music.

:applaud: to zooperson's post. And ditto what Saracene said as well.

Originally posted by Strato Edge
"Sell out behavior" I can't believe people are still saying this kind of stuff. :down:

Bono's trying to make difference in the world...:up: More power to him!

Exactly!

I'm sorry, since when did wanting to help people in need become "sell-out" behavior? There's many great musicians who help out with various causes...does that make them "sell-outs" as well?

Originally posted by kingofsorrow
if bono is so against sorry rock bands then maybe he and the rest of U2 should get their asses back into the business of making music, instead of jetsetting around the globe hanging out with supermodels shaking hands with politicians and indulging in all that sellout behavior.
in other words BONO, put up or shut up. and stop telling us about the great new U2 album and show us. where is it? i guess all that money does go to your head.

First off, they are in the process of making music...if I understand correctly, their new album's coming out next year, so they'll "stop telling us about the great new album and show us" next year.

Second, by saying "I guess all that money does go to your head"...what do you mean? What gives you the idea the money's going to his head?

Angela

ATYCLB is nothing like JT. :tsk: If a few familiar chords come out in one song or another, after all, it IS the same bunch of guys

Please, people, lay off already. I'm sure there must be SOMETHING else you can listen to while U2 are recording the new album. Give it a rest and let the guys live a little. They're not our personal music bitches.

This is stupid. Bono is just trying to shake things up like he always does. He always challenges everything he does. Music, politics or whatever. Thats why he's the rock star and why we are here sitting at our computers. Thats why thier so good

Makng contentious musical statements has been Bono's trademark since ZooTV. he said stuff on that tour, for Zooropa, for Pop and ATYCLB. He did it all the way back in some interviews from Boy-era that I've seen. We should be used to this by now. Bono likes talking **** about the music industry. he's usually spot on. Pop is largely dead right now, now there's an super abundance of mediocre rock that's been welling up for the last couple years in the death agonies of Pop and the continual fragmenting of the mainstage of commericial music. Bono's taste isn't beyond question but I'll stick up for likeing Pearl Jam (as the only surviving grung band who have consistently changed their sound and played the corperate game in a very limited fashion they deserve some respect) and while I don't find Coldplay all that special, they are getting better and I'll grudingly admit Chris Martin does have potential as a singer. Black MotorCycle Club's pretty decent, if not overy innovative. I think what Bonno means by innovative is not going with the trends and sticking to your own sound. Right now that's going back to basics, no bad grunge, I hate my father immitations, no whiny PearlJam wannabes, no nuMetal junk, just good solid rock. And it's good listening. Heck I've gone back and been listening to the Pixies. It's a nice change. It's real. Bono may be talking out of his arse (as he's done so many times before) or he could be serious, but I think perhaps the most innovative thing is to be genuine.

Oh and to whoever said Raiohead was so-so at best, I'd like to have some of what ever you're smoking. ;)

kingofsorrow said:
but like i said before, Bono needs to put up or shut up.
indeed you did
several times even

by that kind of logic we should close every internet forum, because if there really are people around who should put up or shut up then it might just be us (IMO of course)

Bono has bad taste in music, really. He says everyone is stagnating and the real innovation is in hip-hop. Let him listen to all his boom-and-fizzle rap music, or the hip-hop music with drum loops and drum machines. Bono is a homie now.

During the POP era, Bono had this fascination for the Chemical Brothers, Prodigy and Beck. Looks like those three acts made music that is very very dated, not timeless. Where the hell are they now?

Check out Bono's singer selection in the all-star tribute for What's Going On, he got all the bubblegum pop artists he had been dissing leading up to the ATYCLB release.

Bono has also been notorious for liking "one-trick pony" bands like Radiohead, The Ramones, and The Clash. Bono does show some good taste in his love for Sinatra and Elvis, but who doesn't love them anyway?

My point is, don't listen to Bono when he talks about other bands or take it with a grain of salt. For some reason, Bono likes and listens to the crappiest or most one-dimensional bands ....yet he still writes good songs. I frankly don't care about what bands Bono likes or what bands he disses. He has bad taste is music. But who cares? It's not Bono's musical tastes that matter, it is the music he actually writes, and so far it seems U2 have been successful in writing good songs.

Cheers,

J

Does it actually matter what Bono thinks? I stopped caring what he said years ago when I noticed he said something different every time he opens his mouth. And unfortunately I dont have a catalogue of every Bono dialogue to back this up so it will have to be chalked up as my personal opinion.

He talks too much, but I dont care as its all about the music :wink:

jick said:

During the POP era, Bono had this fascination for the Chemical Brothers, Prodigy and Beck. Looks like those three acts made music that is very very dated, not timeless. Where the hell are they now?

Beck and the Chemical Brothers are still very successful.

kingofsorrow said:

i know you don't.

OK, prove how ATYCLB is rehashed JT.

Jick, collaborating with pop artists for a good cause doesn't mean he listens to or likes the music they make. I thought he had a point though in his statement about hip hop being innovative, and the lack of good rock bands. (if I'm not mistaken Clash and Radiohead are two of most respected bands, not a bad taste in music IMO. Ramones also aren't exactly dissed a lot.)

jick said:
Bono has also been notorious for liking "one-trick pony" bands like Radiohead, The Ramones, and The Clash.

:eyebrow: Radiohead has been putting out albums for a decade and people are still praising them to the skies. Hardly a "one-trick pony." And have you ever even listened to the Clash beyond the few songs of theirs that actually get played on the radio?

i also think that bono was referring to all that linkin park, limp bizkit, staind, korn kinda music that seems to be around and somehow all sound the same.......as for the whole pop thing he basically just implies that 'pop is always gonna suck' and its not worth losing sleep but rock on the other hand is different and it should not.

my opinions:
u2 is a GREAT innovative band....no doubt about it
radiohead is also a Great innovative band (disagree? go see them live;) and oh yeah...heard their albums!! )
coldplay does not sound 'like every other band' (listen to their music, but really listen to it........although it has a lot of u2ish elemnts it still succesfulyl maintains its own identity)

and um....i think everybody at some point or another can look back and ask themselves ''how could i have liked that band/song?" and musicians are probably no different.

and if bono did what people want (for example stop talking about AIDS, 3rd world debt..........whatever) the it wouldn't be Bono!

Last edited:
jick said:
Let him listen to all his boom-and-fizzle rap music, or the hip-hop music with drum loops and drum machines. Bono is a homie now.

:eyebrow:...

Uh...what's that supposed to mean? I like some of the hip-hop music out now, too...does that mean I'm a "homie" (and considering the context you put it in, I'm taking it that being a "homie" would be a bad thing in this case or something)?

Ditto elevation2u, Bono's shades, and U2girl's posts.

Angela

Angela, I think Jick's only purpose in life (or here at least) is to play Devil's Advocate and disagree with EVERYTHING.

jick said:
Bono has bad taste in music, really. He says everyone is stagnating and the real innovation is in hip-hop. Let him listen to all his boom-and-fizzle rap music, or the hip-hop music with drum loops and drum machines. Bono is a homie now.

Check out Bono's singer selection in the all-star tribute for What's Going On, he got all the bubblegum pop artists he had been dissing leading up to the ATYCLB release.

Bono has also been notorious for liking "one-trick pony" bands like Radiohead, The Ramones, and The Clash. Bono does show some good taste in his love for Sinatra and Elvis, but who doesn't love them anyway?

oh jick, you make me laugh. how the f*** can you call the clash a one trick pony. you are so wrong. they understoud more than anyone that you can't stick to the same sound throughout your whole carreer. and radio head. hey sinatra is awesome but that is a "one trick pony" if i ever saw one.

My point is, don't listen to Bono when he talks about other bands or take it with a grain of salt. For some reason, Bono likes and listens to the crappiest or most one-dimensional bands ....yet he still writes good songs. I frankly don't care about what bands Bono likes or what bands he disses. He has bad taste is music. But who cares? It's not Bono's musical tastes that matter, it is the music he actually writes, and so far it seems U2 have been successful in writing good songs.

Cheers,

J

hey, about the "whats goin on" thing, he did what he needed to do to make people pay some attention to what was going on in Africa, okay.

oh jick, you make me laugh. how the f*** can you call the clash a one trick pony. you are so wrong. they understoud more than anyone that you can't stick to the same sound throughout your whole carreer. and radio head. hey sinatra is awesome but that is a "one trick pony" if i ever saw one.

crap i messed up the quote in my last post. let me try to fix this. uh the part in the quote that says, "oh jick, you make me laugh. how the f*** can you call the clash a one trick pony. you are so wrong. they understoud more than anyone that you can't stick to the same sound throughout your whole carreer. and radio head. hey sinatra is awesome but that is a "one trick pony" if i ever saw one. " is not supposed to be there. sorry jick. i said that, not you

U2! Pay Attention

all I am saying is that U2 as a collective need to listen to:

xiu xiu
godspeed you black emperor
el-p
prefuse73
mogwai
aesop rock
rapture
dance movement music
liars
black dice
portishead
revel in the morning
trail of dead
microphones
neutral milk hotel
wolf eyes
the books
calla
yeah yeah yeahs
cursive
shellac
silver mount zion
sigur ros
spiritualized
the birthday party
nick cave and the bad seeds
clinic
spoon
primal scream
unwound
add n to x
dismemberment plan
avalanches
black heart procession

yeah...

and even more where that came from

why worry about crappy music when there is so much more out there?

Back
Top Bottom