Bono singing 'new' songs 20 years ago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
I think we can all agree that Bono's voice has changed quite a bit over the years. There are more than a few songs that he just can't (or shouldn't) sing anymore. However, if you could go back in time to 1984, what 'new' (Post Achtung) song would you ask him to sing? Me, it'd be Beautiful Day. I think the younger Bono would nail that song. Here are a few other picks.

2. Stay
3. IGWSHA
4. Elevation

What about you?

Hands That Built America and ES... probably he could have pulled it off without the little help!... But I rather hear any of these songs during the Rattle & Hum era!

The Fly, Lemon, Stay, Gone, Kite and The Ground Beneath Her Feet would all be really interesting to hear.

discothequeLP said:
and basically all of Pop (including MIAMI!!)

The good part is he'd probably modify the lyrics of Miami so that they're halfway decent!

Lemon is perfect just the way it is.the earlier Bono didn't have that trained falsetto IMO
Beautiful day,for sure

I don't think young Bono could pull off most of these songs listed. His voice has changed, some he's lost and a lot he's gained. He didn't have the controlled falsetto back then or the lows that he can hit today. So I don't think it's a valid question really.

MrBrau1 said:
He'd oversing the new songs. They'd sound weird.
I agree. He's learned a lot of control and restraint over the last 20 years. I don't think they'd work.

MrBrau1 said:
He'd oversing the new songs. They'd sound weird.
couldn't have said it better!:up: His voice isn't worse now, it's different and these songs wouldn't be the same without it.

[QOUTE]Originally posted byBonoVoxSupastar
I don't think young Bono could pull off most of these songs listed. His voice has changed, some he's lost and a lot he's gained. He didn't have the controlled falsetto back then or the lows that he can hit today. So I don't think it's a valid question really.
[/QUOTE]
exactly:applaud:

There's a nice subtlety to newer U2 songs.. I don't think they'd sound good if he sang them they way he sang older songs years ago. Not every song needs to be an anthem.

I like them the way they are. I like Bono's voice better now, I like the tone, it has an experienced sound to it. I don't know, it's hard to explain. Either way Bono's voice = :up:

Back
Top Bottom