bono should quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't care that much

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

He's an adult. It's a conscious decision he's making. He knows how it has affected his voice, and I sure as hell think he's well aware of the damage it does to his body. Same goes to Adam. It will catch up with them in the long run, and I say this as someone who is trying to kick the habit as I type this. Smokers know it's bad for them, but it's an addiction. You have to want to quit in order to do it. And if you want to, I mean REALLY want to, you can do it. I don't have the necessary drive to do that right now, and apparently, neither does Bono. I think Adam is gonna be one of those who smokes until the day he dies, and will probably be inhaling smoke through the hole in his throat when he's dying. It's sad, but true.

Is Bono still smoking? Was there a recent photo or something that confirms it?

That is really dissapointing. His choice of course, but he is conciously damaging his talent. Imagine if the Edge loved hitting his hands with a hammer and every tour he played worse than the one before it. It would be sad.

This all reminds me of a biochem Professor I had, who came in, gave a lecture about cigarette smoke and DNA mutations, and said: "I don't want to get up here on a soapbox, and preach to you the dangers of smoking. I'm sure you've all heard them. But, I've spent 30 years studying this, and I don't know how much more frankly I can say it. May God strike me down if I'm lying to you, but you WILL die from smoking. It's only a matter of when." I don't smoke, but I remember the class of about 100 people just staring at him, very stunned. He went on to say that every time you light up, you've got a chance to save your own life. I'm not sure if anybody listened to him, but it was the most effective speech I've ever seen somebody give. There was just something about the tone and delivery.

My parents both died from smoking-related diseases.

They both smoked for 40 years, and quit cold turkey. It was hell, but it probably bought each of them extra years of life.

The cancer and emphysema got them eventually - and as a way to die, it sucks - but it would have years earlier if they were still torching those nicotine sticks.

Whatever you gotta do, quit those g**ddamn things.
mad.gif

Who the hell ever died thinking, "Damn, I wish I'd have been able to smoke more cigarettes...??"

Just want to put my hat in the ring on this one. I recently quit smoking (after 7 years of two packs a day) cold turkey, and lemme tell ya, It's tough. I don't think people understand that it is an ADDICTION like any other drug. You go through withdrawal pains and cravings that are almost unbearable for those that have never smoked before let's ease of a little on the non-smoker rhetoric. It's not as easy to quit as you might think. If I'm coming accross as an ass, I apologize, it just bugs me when people think that quiting smoking is like flipping a switch. By the way, EDGE SMOKES TOO!!!!!!!! or at least he used to and same goes for Larry.

Addictions are tough, for sure. Just ask Lenny Bruce. Just ask Sammy Davis, Jr. Just ask Elvis. Just ask Jim Morrison. Just ask the original "Marlboro Man".

I think Bono, adult that he is, should follow in the footsteps of Tony Bennett, who upon hearing that abusing your body with drugs amounts to "Sinning against your Talent." Everytime Bono lights-up, he's sinning against his talent.

I used to love to hear Bono's voice with each listen, but it has become more difficult, especially when hearing the loss of elasticity, which matters less than range.

He sounds good on the Corrs duets, though!

oooooops! To finish my nonsensical post, "upon hearing" about sinning against his talent, Mr. Bennett stopped his cocaine-habit, pretty much cold-turkey. That's pretty friggin tough.

Monday, March 18, 2002 | Updated 12:13 a.m. EST

Maryland's Juan Dixon battles with Wisconsin's Freddie Owens and Kirk Penney. (AP)

Maryland Makes Round of 16
All-American Juan Dixon scores 29 in the 87-57 victory over Wisconsin.

Men's Second-Round Results
South: Pittsburgh 63,
California 50 -- (Final)

Wilbon: Dixon's Incredible Story

? Interactive Bracket | Full Coverage

Church Attack in Pakistan
Kills Two From the U.S.
Three others die, 40 injured; Pakistani authorities are treating the incident as an anti-American attack.
? Church Was a Valued Sanctuary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making of a 'Dirty Bomb'
Radioactive generators left behind by Soviets could be used in weapons developed by terrorists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TB Still on Rise in N.Va.
Drug resistance, immigration are cited in spread of the contagious disease.

Strife Sets Back Diplomacy
Mideast violence again overshadows U.S. envoy?s quest for truce.
? Cheney Undaunted by Arab Response

EPA to Ease Coal Plant Rules
New policy will emphasize incentives rather than government lawsuits.

More Advertisers: Retail Sales Center | Vacation Planner | Health Directory

Diversity's Future?
San Francisco?s desegregation plan may serve as model for other schools.

Tipper Gore Declines
She says the time is "not right" for her to seek Senate seat from Tennessee.

MORE HEADLINES
? War Brings Soldier Closer to Roots
? Mugabe Sworn In as Many Boycott
? In Colombia's War, Cause Is an Issue
? New Life for an Old D.C. Precinct
? MedImmune Expects FluMist Approval
? Hay-Adams Opens After Renovation

A Doctor in Every House
These days, PhDs are like opinions -- pretty much everybody has one.

Post Magazine
Bigger Is Better
If you want a manse that says "I have arrived," Penny Yerks is the woman to talk to in Northern Virginia.

Spring/Garden Guide
? Make Your Dream Garden a Reality
? Speeding Up Your Cleaning Routine

? Market News | Check Your Portfolio

Washington Post Editorials, Opinions and Columns

? Once More for the Roads
? Creative Budgeting
? A Moral Issue -- and a Crime
? Foley, Gingrich: If Congress Were Attacked

Today's Editorials, Opinions, Columns Today's Editorials:Once More for the RoadsCreative BudgetingA Moral Issue -- and a Crime Today's Op-Ed Columns:Mary McGroryDavid S. BroderThomas S. Foley and Newt GingrichGeorge F. WillJim Hoagland Today's Columnists:Angus PhillipsAnn LandersAsk the Computer GuyGene Weingarten: Below the BeltwayAlbert B. Crenshaw: Cash FlowDave BarryDavid S. BroderTom Sietsema: DiningRon Shaffer: Dr. GridlockKitty Thuermer: Extreme Travel TriviaRob Pegoraro: Fast ForwardStephen Barr: Federal DiaryGeorge F. WillJames K. Glassman: InvestingJim HoaglandReviewed by Jonathan Yardley: Jonathan YardleyAmy Joyce: Life at WorkMary McGroryMichael WilbonJudith Martin: Miss MannersNuts & BoltsMichael Getler: OmbudsmanWarren Brown: On WheelsPoet's ChoiceMartie Zad: Popular VideosLiza Mundy: PostModernStan Hinden: Retirement JournalJeanne Marie Laskas: Significant OthersCarolyn Hax: Tell Me About ItMichelle Singletary: The Color of MoneyThe Style InvitationalToday's HoroscopeRichard Morin: Unconventional WisdomWeb WatchWilliam Gildea

Daily Diversions: Comics | Horoscopes | Crosswords | TV Grid

Entertainment
New at the Movies:
De Niro and Murphy in 'Showtime'; 'Last Orders,' 'Ice Age.'
Think Pink: Cherry Blossom Preview
Restaurants: Tom on Ortanique
Bars & Clubs: March Madness
Music: Millennium Stage
Theater: 'Oleanna' at Source
Museums: 'Goya: Images of Women'
E-mail: Sign Up for Weekly Alert

Search Places & Events:
GO OUT

Post Weekend: String Break
Live Online
This week's schedule
Monday's Sessions (All Times EST)
@Work Live: Carrie Johnson, 11 a.m.
NCAA Basketball: Josh Barr, 11 a.m.
Magazine: Significant Others, 1 p.m.
Travel Talk: Travel Staff, 2 p.m.
Baseball: Hall of Fame, 2 p.m.
Clinton: Author Joe Klein, 3 p.m.
Astrology: Starry Eye, 6 p.m.

About washingtonpost.com | Advertising Information | Help/Feedback
Media Center | Join Us | Rights & Permissions | Site Index | Wireless

N E W S P A P E R
Subscribe | Advertising | Work at The Post | Staff | More...

Other Washington Post Company Web Sites

P A R T N E R :

Here's how to make washingtonpost.com your home page.
Member Agreement and Privacy Policy

? Copyright 2002 The Washington Post Company

Back to the top

SITE SEARCH:
News Jobs AP Shopping Archives Entertain.

Search Options

WEB SEARCH:

Live Online
Monday (All Times EST)
? 11: NCAA & Maryland
? With Post's Josh Barr
? 1: Post Magazine on
? "Significant Others"
? 3: Author Joe Klein
? On Clinton's Legacy
? Other Discussions

E-Mail Updates

? News Headlines

? Political News

? Washtech News

? More Newsletters

? Lonnae O'Neal Parker recounts a fire that claimed four members of a Rockville family.

Ugggh! Seeing people smoke both disgusts and depresses me. To think that people have that little regard for their own lives and their own health; they are just killing themselves slowly with each cigarette.

Bono and Adam: cut it out!

My dad quit smoking when he turned 41 I believe, and I have no idea how he managed to quit cold turkey. He's 47 now and has not smoked since. I knew it had to be hard for him because he was in a house filled with otehr smokers that continued to smoke and smoke around him. It wasn't like he was only smoking for a year, he was a smoker from his teens up until the age 41. I think he only quit a few years in his 30's. I guess if you really do want to quit and you are afraid of the health risks then you can just stop.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

In the Bono issue of Time magazine it is mentioned that Bono sneaks off to the bathroom to smoke.

I personally enjoy the "raspier" kind of Bono. Evidence of Bono's smoking can be heard on his duets with Adrea Corr on the Corrs Live From Dublin album.

I think we should remember that Bono's icon was Sinatra (who smoked every day of his life) and that King B is irish. The factors add up perfectly. A smoking irish rock star.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Originally posted by the olive:
Is Bono still smoking? Was there a recent photo or something that confirms it?

Yes, there was something, although maybe my mind was affected by the "electrical storms" about in dublin the other night, or maybe too many patricks day pints, but i was sure a visiting leprachaun from these parts told me
biggrin.gif

BTW... wanderer...great post...

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
Yes, there was something, although maybe my mind was affected by the "electrical storms" about in dublin the other night, or maybe too many patricks day pints, but i was sure a visiting leprachaun from these parts told me
biggrin.gif

BTW... wanderer...great post...

LMAO so I'm a leprachaun now? After this week it may be true... into the pints and all...

But... I am the source of this vicious rumor. I sat in the study at The Clarence with Bono and Edge and a few others I didn't know and watched him smoke at least four cigarettes over the course of an hour and a half... not that I'm being critical given that I smoked at least that many trying to keep from fainting... but I just don't want to hear that voice wrecked.

And what "electrical storms" are you talking about Zoom?
wink.gif

Sorry again about the brother-in-law. :p

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

hey no problem, your whole family knows how to have a good time
biggrin.gif

good to see you got back ok

*nurses headache*

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

your whole family knows how to have a good time
biggrin.gif

Awww, and I couldn't go!!!! I was outside Eamonn Doran's @ Temple Bar and I just got the message from Rosa to go to Dockers to meet you Laura, but I was soo hung over I had to head home. Two nights in a row.... ugh!!!

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

"If Larry's gay, I'll be a man!" -Michelle-

*nurses headache*

awww, too many pints, Zoomerang? You know there is only one thing that?ll help
biggrin.gif
there is a party at my place tonight.
smile.gif

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
Zoom must recover from the weekend we caused him to live first, AM...

hehe

wink.gif

so what exactely did you do to him???

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by ODB:
This pisses me off its none of anybody's business if he smokes leave the man alone.

I think it distresses the fans because of how the smoking affects his voice (and his health). Listening to some of the boots from the last tour (mainly the third leg), his voice has suffered some serious degradation. At 42 years of age, he should not have gone downhill as he has. Yep, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but this is honestly the way I feel. It's kind of sad listening to him sing sometimes now.

Yes. Bono's voice is not what it once was, and yes, that is most likely because of the smoking. But we need to remember something here. Bono's voice belongs to him, not to us. I am overwhelmed that he has shared it with us for so long, and even though he can't reach notes that he used to be able to reach, It will always bring tears to my eyes because of the passion that he puts into his singing.

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

Back
Top Bottom