Bono says that "Streets invented techno"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
From the making of the Joshua Tree DVD, Bono says when they came up with "Streets" -- I don't know the rest of the bit, but I guess the bass and guitar parts are what 'helped' create techno...

What do you think?

I can hear some kind of melody in there that would inspire it...

I think it was Adam come to think of it now...

I hadn't watched the DVD in a while.

Hmm....
I don't know about that.... seems a little far-fetched and also given that "techno" was around and evolving way before "Streets" was ever made. Ie., Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" (Giorgio Moroder produced techno wizardry)., some disco, the whole early 80s... depeche mode, new order, yaz, bands like that were all techno. Maybe he meant something else by it.

I just bought this DVD a couple weeks ago, but haven't watched it yet... Maybe I will tonight. I'm an idiot.. I keep putting it off..
:mad: :huh:

I am a techno DJ, and also a massive U2 fan, and yes, Bono is right.

So, so many techno "anthems" borrow elements from "Streets" it's not even funny.

Also, if you take the single version of Streets on vinyl (designed to be played at 45 rpm) and slow it alllllll the way down to 33 rpm, and then adjust your "pitch" knob on your turntable to make it even slower, the result is heavenly. You get this swooshy, funky, drawn-out intro where you can hear every one of those opening guitar chimes. It's amazing.

Also, I'm kind of shocked that no one has made a REALLY great techno re-mix of Streets. There are some pretty decent ones out there (the Harmonix track comes to mind), but someone could do a lot better :)

If anyone has any Mp3s of remixes, I'm all ears :)

Techno was pretty much already 'evolved' and mastered by then. Then there's the late 80s, early 90's kind of 'techno'...

depends on what ya mean by 'techno', too... and the terminology.

when *I* think of techno, i think of the above mentioned kind of music. So, I am assuming they mean something different.. (and I should shut up and stop rambling now and go watvh the DVD, lol.)

theu2fly said:
From the making of the Joshua Tree DVD, Bono says when they came up with "Streets" -- I don't know the rest of the bit, but I guess the bass and guitar parts are what 'helped' create techno...

What do you think?

I can hear some kind of melody in there that would inspire it...

Adam said that some of the rhythms in "Streets" was kinda the beginnings of techno.

Edge had some guitar part that was in 6/8 time, then the band come in at 4/4 time.

Hehe "muso" stuff as Adam put it. ;)

LyricalDrug said:
Also, I'm kind of shocked that no one has made a REALLY great techno re-mix of Streets. There are some pretty decent ones out there (the Harmonix track comes to mind), but someone could do a lot better :)

You should have a listen of this Virtuoso (Airheadz Mix) it actually sounds allright. The streets part comes in about half way of the 8:00 minute track, and has a Edge sounding guitar like the Harmonix mix. But give it a listen :)

http://s23.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=3L7XYE78UYEGX0Z5WKCKUHFIH2

Last edited:
uh you mean synthpop when refering to Depeche Mode? cause it sure isn't techno.

You're thinking of "Helter Skelter," and it isn't McCartney that goes around saying that, it's some Beatles fans.

John Lennon also claims in the Beatles Anthology that they were the first to put feedback on a record (I Feel Fine) and thus from there came the root of the ideas that the Who and Hendrix later capitalized on.

It sounds similar to Paul's statements. When you are really the first group to really experiment I'm sure you can take credit for a lot of things.

Being that the song itself was remixed around that time.......I think we can all agree that techno was already existant. :wink:

Neenie said:

You should have a listen of this Virtuoso (Airheadz Mix) it actually sounds allright. The streets part comes in about half way of the 8:00 minute track, and has a Edge sounding guitar like the Harmonix mix. But give it a listen :)

http://s23.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=3L7XYE78UYEGX0Z5WKCKUHFIH2

Oooh thanks! I like it. I wish there was Edge's actual guitar though :)

Actually, I wish I actually knew how to mix the techno version of "Streets" I hear in my head :)

Thanks for posting that...

LyricalDrug said:
I am a techno DJ, and also a massive U2 fan, and yes, Bono is right.

So, so many techno "anthems" borrow elements from "Streets" it's not even funny.

Also, if you take the single version of Streets on vinyl (designed to be played at 45 rpm) and slow it alllllll the way down to 33 rpm, and then adjust your "pitch" knob on your turntable to make it even slower, the result is heavenly. You get this swooshy, funky, drawn-out intro where you can hear every one of those opening guitar chimes. It's amazing.

OK I think you nominated yourself to do a techno remix of Streets for us! :sexywink: :up: The description you gave above sounds amazing and I'm dying to actually hear it!

Was Adam not talking about how the band came across the timing of the song actually has a basis in techno when they were rehearsing for the PopMart tour. I don't think he ever claimed that u2 created techno!

Which came first?
The chicken or the egg?

That´s a tuff question to answer.
Many musicians could just say they invented "tecno" , but in reality it´s a type that´s been in evolution since the late 70´s.
I am also a DJ and have been doing it since the early 80´s. Sure you could say some have been inspired by a certain note/rhythm on a song (even a U2 song) and speeded it up and came up with a "new style" or genre of music, but in reality dance music such as tecno has been in evolution for a long time. It´s like rock´n´roll. Its part blues, part country, part what the beggining of what was American culture back in the 1950´s. No one really was the "inventor" of Rock´n´roll, not even Mr. Elvis Presley (sorry to all Elvis fans) but it´s true.
If you ever get a record collection as big as mine and are really interested in ALL sorts of music styles, then you would agree with me. But of course, this is ONLY my thoughts on this "tecno" music bit.

As far as I know Kraftwerk were the first to come up with techno. Autobahn is theirs most popular of that time and was produced in the time of the oil crisis, 1975.
That's really good, but cannot be compared to the techno of the 90's or nowadays.

So, nobody should hang Streets! :)

Back
Top Bottom