Bono says he will have to finish 48864 by himself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
From HotPress website. There are some verses of the song in the end of the article:

"There was a true soul"

Bono pays tribute to the much-missed Joe Strummer, the week they were due to record together. Also: sneak preview of Strummer's lyrics for '48864'

The new issue of Hot Press, out on January 18, includes a personal tribute to Joe Strummer by Bono.

In it, he reveals that Joe was due in Dublin this week to record is part of the song they were co-writing for the Mandela SOS AIDS benefit concert, '48864'.

"I suppose I'm going to have to finish it myself now, I'm going to have to be Joe for keeps," Bono reflects. "And it's a shame because I was really looking forward to singing with him."

Reflecting on Strummer's legacy, he says, "There was a true soul, trying to figure it out, trying to explain himself to the world, and trying to explain the world to us. They (The Clash) had a real decency, that old- fashioned word."

An epic 10 minutes in length, '48864' features such classic Strummer couplets as, "When freedom rises from the killing floor/No lock of iron or rivet can restrain the door/And no kind of army can hope to win a war/Like trying to stop the rain or still the lion's roar/Like trying to stop the whirlwind scattering seeds and spores/Like trying to stop the tin cans rapping out jailhouse semaphore."

Wow - 10 minutes long - that beats the "Byebye Miss American Pie" (or is the title "The Day the Music Died" :scratch: ), right?
Yikes! But definitely looking forward to it :yes:

Last edited:
bonosloveslave said:
Wow - 10 minutes long - that beats the "Byebye Miss American Pie" (or is the title "The Day the Music Died" :scratch: ), right?
Yikes! But definitely looking forward to it :yes:

LOL, yes Beth. American Pie is 8 minutes something seconds long

It may be up there in length with American Pie, Bat Out of Hell, and Hurricane... but it sure as hell ain't no In A Gadda Da Vida, that's for sure. Or even the Simpsons version, In The Garden of Eden. (_8(|) DOH!

Anyway... i wish Bono would finish up with all this writing with other people, touring America, goin' on Oprah, and all this other stuff... sure it's for a great cause, and I support all that he does politicaly and socialy speaking, but it sure would be nice if he'd go back to his day job and get us a new album sometime this year! (no, i was not payed by adam, larry and edge to make this post)

"it's a shame because I was really looking forward to singing with him".
Joe Strummer came out to Oz for the 2001 BDO( I think that is when it was) I remember one day, listening to the radio and being moved to dance by a song I'd never heard before. It had so much energy.It was Joe Strummer.
"for keeps"..what a nice old-fashioned turn of phrase.
Thanks for the reminder , not to waste a minute follower...and Bono.

Amazing lyrics. It will be interesting to see what he does with them. I'd imagine this is going to be very, very hard for him to work with Strummer's lyrics because of the situation. Gosh, that's sad.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

Anyway... i wish Bono would finish up with all this writing with other people, touring America, goin' on Oprah, and all this other stuff... sure it's for a great cause, and I support all that he does politicaly and socialy speaking, but it sure would be nice if he'd go back to his day job and get us a new album sometime this year! (no, i was not payed by adam, larry and edge to make this post)

it's amazing the extra curricular activities he is involved in, when you consider all those duets and things...

Back
Top Bottom