Bono Outbids Everyone At Charity Auction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
LOS ANGELES—During a Keep A Child Alive charity auction last Friday, U2 frontman Bono paid $575,000 for a guitar signed by the Irish recording artist, outbidding his nearest competitor by nearly $500,000.

"Not only does this allow me to donate to a cause in which I very deeply believe, but I now own a unique and valuable piece of rock and roll history," said the singer, who also placed the winning bid on a "once-in-a-lifetime" lunch with Bono at $1 million.

Bono reportedly listed the autographed guitar on eBay the next day to raise money for Amnesty International, and within 20 minutes, had placed the highest bid at $750,000.

He knows how to make the money for a good cause. :up:

Sounds like he just made over a million dollars for two charities instead of $75K for one.

Excuse me people but wasn't this originally in the Onion which is satire, as in this didn't really happen? Is the regular press now picking up fake stories from the Onion?

Dana

DaveC said:
Seriously, if you're going to post something from The Onion, at least tell people so that it makes sense, eh? :eyebrow:

Well yes.

Because otherwise, no-one would ever have guessed.

Members Of U2 To Stare In Different Directions
Feb 26, 1997 | Issue 31•07

DUBLIN—In what many record- industry insiders are calling a return to the band's mid-'80s prime, members of U2 announced Monday plans to stare in different directions. Guitarist The Edge said he will stand slightly behind lead singer Bono and stare off to his right, as if gazing purposefully into an uncertain, yet hopeful, future. Bassist Adam Clayton will stare downward, burdened by the weight of injustices all over the world. Drummer Larry Mullen Jr. will look up, as if searching for guidance from a higher power. Lead singer Bono has still not committed to a specific position, saying, "That is a decision I can only make in the actual moment of artistic creation. But it'll be a different direction than the other three, you can count on that, brother!" The multi-directional staring is expected to take place atop a jagged, rocky peak.

Excuse me some nasty people, do you think there is a better way of letting me know that the story is a fake?

How about, JC I hate to inform you that this is a fake news website.

This is the first time I ever saw the "Onion."

Last edited:
Ah, the good ol' Onion. I miss being able to pick up my free paper copy anywhere around Milwaukee.

You know, back in the good ol' days. When it was funnier. :wink:

The only thing better than Onion articles are people not realizing that said articles are satire
onozomgwy9.gif

I received your package, by the way, corianderstem :kiss:

corianderstem said:
Your face might be a little red, but I don't think anyone was being nasty to you. :)

Nope, not a little red and I think 1 or 2 people could've been a little nicer, as in the above poster, but whatever.

Thanks Lila!:hug:

It's okay JC :hug: I only knew this was fake because I happened to pick up the free copy of the Onion while I was in Minneapolis over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom