Bono or George Michael???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George Michael is no Bono.
no1.gif

:lol:
When I was 7 or 8 and Wham! was in it's heyday, I was soooo gonna marry George Michael. I LOVED him. I didn't know back then...
2 years later I discovered Bono.

And to throw this back on track, does anybody have the Miss Sarajevo cover? I've yet to hear it.

I think George Michael should be banned from public lavatories and anywhere esle for that matter!:wink:

U2dork said:
:lol:
When I was 7 or 8 and Wham! was in it's heyday, I was soooo gonna marry George Michael. I LOVED him. I didn't know back then...

You and Geri Halliwell both. My money's on her I'm afraid. I'm sure you look more feminine than she did, after starving herself into looking like a emaciated male.

And to throw this back on track, does anybody have the Miss Sarajevo cover? I've yet to hear it.

Yep. Will fish it out and pass it on, if you haven't found it by the time I post this.

wham_ct1.jpg

wham_mib6.jpg

My sister LOVED George Michael when she was a kid. Anyone remember Wham! In China? The first Western group to play in communist China... crikey. Heheheh! Aw, sweet memories!

Roundabout the same time as...
bono_kids_mag.jpg

Purely included for the time reference, you understand. LOL.

My sis loved Paul Young too... and later on, Simon Climie (Climie Fisher). :ohmy:

Anyway. George Michael...

Careless Whisper
Different Corner :drool:
Hand To Mouth
Faith was cool... until that idiot Fred 'Limp Dickshit' Durst got to it (not to mention slaughtering The Who's Behind Blue Eyes :madspit:)
Too Funky was silly and good fun.
I love Jesus To A Child, too. Didn't like it when it came out, but I've grown up since then.
One More Try was beautiful.

Anyone remember his version of the BeeGees Jive Talkin'?
1987: July. George is the mystery voice behind Boogie Box High's cover of the Bee Gee's "Jive Talkin'". Nick Heyward and George's cousin, Andros, are also involved.

Can't say I approved of his public toilet antics... but it did make me laugh when he said that he was planning to call his Greatest Hits album 'Bog Standards'. :laugh:

I suppose you won't get that unless you know English slang, unless 'bog' has suddenly translated to the US in the same sense (ie, toilet). When I was there, noone knew that 'bum' was our word for 'bottom' either. Mind you, that WAS 15 years ago now.

Last edited:
Oh my God, Sally.... :hug: :wink:

Great pics there! 80s... :drool: I like a lot of Michael's solo work too... esp. Listen Without Prejudice and Older! Such soulful jazzy music and sooooooo different from Wham!

Oh... and I Knew You Were Waiting For Me, his duet with Aretha Franklin, was ace. I can't think of many male singers who could match someone with a voice of her calibre.

Zootlesque said:
Don't ya think I love you till it hurts me baby... don't you think it's time you had sex.. with.. me! sex with me... sex with me......

C C C C C C Cmonnnn!!!!!

:wink:

:ohmy:Well, REALLY, Zootle. Calm yourself. :lmao:

Last edited:
Sally, those pics!!!!! :bow: Just goes to show that if Bono had used a bit of bleach, some tooth whitener and fake tan, he could've got famous far more quickly! Slackarse!

George Michael is an amazing singer with so much timing at percission. Just listen to his MTV-unplugged session.it's unbelievable. Great singer and with a better timing then yer man if you know who I'm talking about :wink:

MrBrau1 said:
George can sing like a mother-fucker.

LMAO!

Damed straight he can [omg ... that's the worst pun, like, ever :reject:]
I've been a fan since Ladies and Gentlemen... and I even love the Wham! releases. Quality stuff ...

Mr. Michael, I salute you!

Ah, I looked this up a couple of nights ago out of curiosity and found the following:

According to http://www.weht.net/WEHT/The__other_guy__from_Wham.html
Moved to Monaco where he failed at a career as race car driver (he crashed a few times and couldn't find sponsors). Signed with Columbia records in 1990 and did one solo album Son of Albert. He now owns a restaurant called Bar 92.

He married ex-Bananarama singer Keren Woodward and they have a son Thomas.

I then found this little gem from Hello! Magazine.

1992 interview with Keren Woodward and Andrew Ridgeley

Throughout the Eighties, two pop groups Wham! and Bananarama were hardly out of the headlines or without a record in the charts. Enjoying a more relaxed way of life since Wham! split up, Andrew Ridgeley, without George Michael, has concentrated on song-writing and producing, while his girlfriend Keren Woodward, one half of Bananarama, has a busy few months ahead. With the re-launch of the group as a twosome, with fellow star Sara Dallin, a new single and an album about to be released, Keren and Andrew were making the most of their time together during a break in Italy, from where they spoke exclusively to HELLO! about their work and commitment to each other.

How did the two of you first meet?
Keren: "We first met years ago. I remember meeting Andrew when he'd just had his first record released and I was very amused by him."
Andrew: "That was almost 10 years ago."
K. "And I must admit, I actually thought he was quite attractive. We saw each other socially on and off and, through a mutual friend, I had been going to dinner with George quite often and Andrew was sometimes there. We always got on and then, shortly before Christmas he came to my house and I couldn't get rid of him!"
A: It really developed from there. It was one of those things that just grew. It wasn't like love at first sight. It started as a friendship and I then realised it was something more solid, I moved in my bags and the cats . . ."

How do you spend your time together?
A; "I try to get Keren to go away with me as much as possi6le. We like to go abroad and we have friends with Places around England. I surf a especially in Cornwall. I have a couple of friends down there who surf and I spend time with them. And recently, I'd say over the last year I've developed a passion for cooking."

What qualities do you most admire in each other?
K: "Well, obviously Andrew's cooking skills appeal to me in a big way! "
A. We get on so very, very well. She's modest and she's not assuming in any way. We have the sort of characters that fit together very well. She's also funny and we laugh at the same things"

Andrew, you lived in Monte Carlo for a while. Do you still have your home there?
A: "No, I gave it up because at the time I was spending more and more of my time in Los Angeles. I had friends there and I really enjoyed it - it suited my lifestyle at the time. I was there for about two years and then I returned to England."

So are you now permanently based in England?
A: "I have a house in the country which is being refurbished. After two years it's almost finished. But I live with Keren so we're very much London based nowadays. "But London is not somewhere that ideally I want to live. We have plans to move to the country once Keren's got the launch of Bananarama's new album out of the way."

Keren, career-wise, what are you up to at the moment?"
K: "We have a new single coming out at the beginning of August called Moving On, which will be followed by an album in September, but that hasn't got a definite title yet. We've taken our time over this. We started it when Sara was pregnant and then she got too large to sing. She couldn't get a lung full of air and she kept having to sit down. So we sort of did half of it while she was pregnant and half of it afterwards."

Has it made any difference now that there are only two of you in the group?
K "It feels almost the way it should always have been. I mean, Sara and I have known each other since we were ten. It seems so natural that it should be just the two of us."

Andrew, what about your career?
A. "I'm making a career out of leisure and pleasure! My leisure to work ratio is 95 per cent leisure, five per cent work. "I do some song-writing with friends of mine and I try to do some production as well, so that keeps me busy if, and when, I decide to be kept busy. Fortunately I don't have to slog day in, day out, and music, I've always found, is something that, for me, doesn't work when I have to sit down and do it. It was always something that I got down to when I felt there was something particular I wanted to do. I never wanted to force myself to do it. It's not in my nature to do that sort of thing; I lack motivation in those respects. "

Will you write some music for Keren?
A: "I'd like to do it and we may do one day.
K: "You wouldn't be allowed because we write our own!"
A: "We are both involved in the music industry to varying degrees and it just seems natural that we should perhaps have a go at doing something ourselves."
K: "We have a studio set up in the house and the intention was to work on some stuff together."

Andrew, do you think you will continue with your music career or do you see yourself taking on new ventures?
A: "I have no real ambition, motivation, aspirations career-wise, Let's say I don't have any real ambition to be anything other than what I am now and to do what I do within the music industry, which isn't an awful lot these days but it suits me. There's really nothing else I can do; certainly nothing I really want to do. And for the moment that suits me but things may change, it's very difficult to say. "

You've both had past relationships, What do you think you learnt from those which has helped to strengthen this one?
K: "The important thing is that we're similar - similar where it matters and we want the same things out of each other. We're very lucky because we've experienced a lot that other people can never even think of experiencing. And it all effects the way you are in relationships and the way you have your eyes open to things around you rather than living a lie where you don't really move out of your own area. We've been all over, seen all things, met all sorts of people, which you think gives you more knowledge. In some way but probably only serves to make you more dissatisfied in that there must be more."

Do you plan to get married?
A: "We really don't know; marriage hasn't really cropped up. It's not something were ruling out."
K: "It's a big step and it's not one that's really important to us. I don't need the security of being married in a relationship and if I did marry, it would be purely for romantic reasons. By that I mean marriage is a way of saying: 'I'm really sure I want to spend the rest of my life with you.' I think that if you look at the statistics and realise how things can go wrong, the hassle of divorce sort of outweighs the joys of getting married."
A: "It has never really been a big ambition .We're very secure in our relationship I don't think there's an awful lot that marriage can bring to us that we don't have now."

Keren, you have a son, Tom, who's five, from a Previous relationship. How does Andrew get on with him?
K: "He's not bad! Thomas is very fond of him, amazingly enough Andrew is at home quite a bit and we go on family outings at the weekends and I've been quite surprised at how well they get on. That's because Andrew's reputation before me was very much that of the free spirit off with his glamorous women and living in glamorous places. But when you have a child you can't live that sort of lifestyle. It's important for Tom to have a steady base and my base happens to be in Kentish Town, it isn't particularly glamorous but it's very much a family situation. I have to say, I didn't really expect Andrew to last, because I didn't think, well, I thought it would be too restricting for him. But he took to it remarkably well and it's all worked out."

Andrew, would you like a child of your own one day?
A.· "Not at this point, no. To be honest, I've got ambitions of my own and I'd feel compromised by the responsibility of my own child. Kids were never something that featured high on my agenda.''

Keren, what do you feel?
K: "At the moment I'm quite happy with one child."

And what about your future plans?
K: "I'm certainly not about to give up my career because I think we've still got something to offer. You have your ups and downs and I feel very up about the whole thing at the moment. Anyway, I think I'm a bit young to retire. I can think of plenty of things I'd like to do to fill my time, which is one of the good things since I've met Andrew because I was never really very good at relaxing and unwinding, and Andrew is a master at the art of leisure ..."
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Union/6146/cornwall.html

Last edited:
Oh Man, that Wham! song "Everything She Wants" is CLASSIC.

"Somebody tell meeeeee... why I work so hard for yoooooooou"
"And now you tell me that you're having my baby... I'll tell you I'm happy if you want me toooooo"
"MY GOD! I don't even think that I love you!"

I heard it in some store a little while ago and laughed my tail off. Love it.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Sally! I had to drag myself up to the keyboard to type this as I was rolling all over the floor in hysterics! Well spotted! Brilliant *wipes a tear*

G.M. is the better singer. he did that great performance (Somebody To Love):up: together with the rest of QUEEN on the Freddy tribute concert at wembley.

Back
Top Bottom