Bono on VH1's Greatest Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Moments - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2002, 03:30 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Below is the quote from Paul McGuiness that I was referring to. It's the last paragraph in an interview from the Financial Times in September.

I don't see what everyone is so worked up about. At 37 I'm an "old fan" yet I didn't take offense. Paul is an incredibly astute business man and he's talking about reality of the music business, not the "worth" of us "old fans" as people. If you want to be big commercially, you have to bring in new fans as long as you possibly can. Bruce Springsteen (who I adore BTW) has an incredibly loyal following, yet hasn't had a commercially successful record in a long while.

I don't think U2 has ever appealed to teenagers in large numbers. College age seems to be when most people discover them (although I noticed many Interferencers were more advanced than their peers and discovered them earlier ) At the Elevation shows I was quite impressed at how much older I was than most of the folks there and was amazed that U2 was still able to connect with the college age folks to such a large degree. More power to them!

-----------------------------------
http://www.ft.com
September 5, 2001
From The Financial Times:

U2's Fifth Member

"The key is to achieve a new and younger audience with each record. It's nice that the older
audience is still interested in U2, but the more important part of the audience is definitely the
new ones. And the reality is that U2 are doing their finest work now -- I see no sign of them
stopping. If they run out of steam creatively, that would be the time to think about stopping, for
them and maybe for me as well. But why would they stop?"

Old 03-20-2002, 04:14 PM   #22
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Local Time: 10:20 AM
Bono's new look = Mr. Politics

(of course after this he unbuttoned his shirt)

Thanks for your comments MBH, you're right, who needs 'em?

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 03-20-2002).]

Old 03-20-2002, 10:24 PM   #23
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene:

I agree that their POPMart look probably cost them; it was too silly, garish and just plain bizarre (although I LOVED Edge's electronic cowboy outfit).
When I first saw their PopMart look, I wasn't a hardcore fan like I am now, but I was still like, "Ummm...what the hell?"

But looking back, Bono's shaved and stubbly look is pretty feckin' cool! He honestly looked like a bad-ass, and he's a sexy mofo in all of the Pop vids . Really, the only PopMart-Bono fashion statements that still make me cringe are those damn bubble pants and that ridiculous muscle shirt.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:36 PM   #24
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Nope, that stubbly look was really really bad. That was his worst look ever. Every other look is gorgeous and sexy, that one jsut looked nasty. Eeeww. I literally cannot look at a pic it for more than a few seconds without cringing. But the outfits were a complete joke, for all of them.

Speaking of the original topic, the Hall of Fame, I watched it tonight hoping one of the band members would at least attend, but no sign of them.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 03-20-2002).]
Old 03-20-2002, 10:42 PM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by david:
i think bono has always had the showman in him, the desire to draw attention to himself as well. i mean look at the "from a whisper to a scream" documentry, U2's 1978 tv performance of life on a distant planet. bono is dancing like an alien character and he is wearing leather and of all things has on purple gloves.

Hell yeah! I don't own the videos but didn't Bono wear a frilly shirt in the I Will Follow video? (Plus he had his poofy hair..lol). He's been image conscious from day one (not a bad thing, just a fact) -- and he's always had big dreams. The image he's cultivated has helped make the dreams happen. Of course, without the music, it would all be meaningless.