Bono on O'Reilly Factor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either way, that was a tremendous interview for Bono. Really was able to share his cause with a new and fresh audience that may not be familiar with it. O'Reilly definitely seemed to warm to him towards the end of the interview and agreed with him a number of times.

I love Christians who feel the poor and sick deserve what they get. If Jesus ever does come back, Christians might be his biggest enemy.

Bill O'Reilly always does rapid-fire questions and responses with his guests. That's part of his MO.

He said from the very beginning that Bono knew his politics.

Bono handled himself wonderfully. He more than held his own. He proved how intelligent he is on the subjects he spoke about, his convictions were shown. He didn't back down, he was as quick even quicker than O'Reilly at times. He was passionate. Go Bono!

Thank God the man uses that power, that charisma, and that brilliant mind for good, not evil. I was so very impressed throughout the entire 20 minutes with Bono's presence of mind, the rattling off of facts, his perceptive answers. Mesmerized, really -- except for the few outbursts in which I was yelling at O'Reilly to shut the hell up and let Bono speak.

I swear if Bono wanted to start his own cult I would follow him all the way to Antartica. And I'm a natural born cynic.

I did root for O'Reilly at one point however. When he asked Bono about the rosary and forced the opening of the shirt. Hey, I'm still female and Bono is still hot. Even if he is next to God in my book.

PopDaisy

I thought the interview was great! But contrary to what most people here are saying, I think BOTH Bono and Bill did a good job. As expected, Bono more than held his own and knew his stuff, stayed on point, etc (and didn't look too bad, either!)

Seems like I'm one of the few here who watches O'Reilly with any regularity. That's not to say I agree with him on everything, cause I don't. And yes, he does get on my nerves a lot for his interviewing style. So - all the more reason I was impressed with him tonight. Compared to what he usually does, he went out of his way to let Bono speak. He must have said 3 or 4 times that he respected what Bono's doing, wishes him success, he's doing God's work, etc. Am I the only one who heard that?! If Bill hated Bono as much as most people seem to think - he would't have been on the show in the first place, and if he was, Bill's opinions would've been expressed quite strongly and much more rudely. Instead, he invited him on, praised him repeatedly, and more important - asked Bono the questions that the viewers of that show and much of America would ask - so Bono could answer them. Any decent interviewer or journalist has to ask the tough questions - that's their job. Bill went out of his way to ask those and then let Bono answer. Seems to me like Bill wanted to give Bono that chance to reach the huge cross-section of America that does watch Fox - many of whom may not otherwise hear Bono's message.

u2grace said:
I thought the interview was great! But contrary to what most people here are saying, I think BOTH Bono and Bill did a good job. As expected, Bono more than held his own and knew his stuff, stayed on point, etc (and didn't look too bad, either!)

Seems like I'm one of the few here who watches O'Reilly with any regularity. That's not to say I agree with him on everything, cause I don't. And yes, he does get on my nerves a lot for his interviewing style. So - all the more reason I was impressed with him tonight. Compared to what he usually does, he went out of his way to let Bono speak. He must have said 3 or 4 times that he respected what Bono's doing, wishes him success, he's doing God's work, etc. Am I the only one who heard that?! If Bill hated Bono as much as most people seem to think - he would't have been on the show in the first place, and if he was, Bill's opinions would've been expressed quite strongly and much more rudely. Instead, he invited him on, praised him repeatedly, and more important - asked Bono the questions that the viewers of that show and much of America would ask - so Bono could answer them. Any decent interviewer or journalist has to ask the tough questions - that's their job. Bill went out of his way to ask those and then let Bono answer. Seems to me like Bill wanted to give Bono that chance to reach the huge cross-section of America that does watch Fox - many of whom may not otherwise hear Bono's message.

I'll have to agree with you.

I have to agree U2grace and everyone else. I loved it when BO said "this is your cause" and Bono fired back "this is not a cause it's an emergency". I know we've all heard that but apparently Bill hasn't. Bono looked, great spoke brilliantly and made his points respectfully. Bill didn't have a chance. He was out smarted and he knew it. It was impressive and Bono came across as a great advocate for the African crisis. I love that man.

Last edited:
VertiGone said:
Either way, that was a tremendous interview for Bono. Really was able to share his cause with a new and fresh audience that may not be familiar with it. O'Reilly definitely seemed to warm to him towards the end of the interview and agreed with him a number of times.

I agree!! Bono handled himself wonderfully against Reily and I think he won him over towards the end. Bono definetly showed his punk rock heritage in flat out telling Bill "I disagree" in such a passionate way and turned it around to show Reily the error of his logic---Go Bono! And what's most endearing was Bono had the chance to speak to potential audience member that haven't heard much about Bono's "cause" and show them that this wasn't just an issue for old or young, Republican or Democrat, rich or poor...but for all Americans who believe in the ideals from which this country was created! He did an excellent job.

u2grace said:

Nice post, I have to say I agree. Reading through this some people seem to portray it as some type of sport competition that Bono won?? Its good to see that some others saw it as it was, an interview. I think alot of people were looking to be offended by O'Reilly and were looking for anything he said as some type of crack even when it wasnt. I thought he was respectful to Bono and of course Bono was articulate as well (did you think he wouldnt be?) Seriously, this interview was nothing earth shattering on either side Bono or O'Reilly.

now someone's gotta get this online for us non foxnewscapable types.

i've got a fever. and the only perscription is seeing bono on the oreilly show

Stop bashing O'Relly guys, he was perectly fine. He praised Bono, he didn't insult him. He said that Bono knew his politics and that he was doing God's work. He said he wishes him well. The only reason he was rapidly asking him questions was because he had to fit everything in twenty minutes.

O'Reilly and Bono were both great and I gained alot of respect for both of them. They handled themselves perfectly fine. If anything I think you guys should be giving O'Relly credit for not being too stubborn to change his stance on this whole issue. I can tell alot of you were looking very hard for faults in O'Relly.

Last edited:
damn, I had to work and missed it.

anyone have a link?

yup its coming on at 1 am ET, cant wait to see it. Sounds really interesting, but that is what I was expecting considering its BO and Bono going head to head.

I thought it showed both men in a pretty good light. I watch O'Reilly often and didn't find him to be treating Bono any differently than any other guess, until the end. When he actually let Bono speak, which is something he doesn't do often even when he agrees with people, he IS an ego-maniac. But he was fair and asked the good questions, Bono was fair and answered the questions directly and competently, as always.

O'Reilly is obviously moved by Bono's consistency and faith. He's an Irish-Catholic too. And it doesn't hurt Bono's case that he knows what the hell he is talking about.

This never was about O'Reilly "going after' Bono. It was always about O'Reilly getting a guest to boost his ratings, he would have looked silly to attack Bono. On what, for goodness sakes? The man isn't perfect but his heart is most defintely in the right place.

I thought O'Reilly asked good questions such as "Americans have enough going on at home, why should they spend tax dollars on this issue"? It was answered well by Bono, but that is the type of thing he didn't get asked on Oprah or Larry King etc.

Anyone who thinks O'Reilly treated Bono "differently" or in a way that was not "like typical O'Reilly" obviously never watches O'Reilly. Your ignorance to his show and his style is crystal clear.

I said it two days ago - O'Reilly and Bono would have a good honest, discussion of the issues. O'Reilly and Bono wouldn't even get into an arguement. That's what we saw tonight.

Someone said it best when the interview was first announced...O'Reilly is only harsh toward people who make themselves look like idiots all by themselves. To think otherwise just proves you don't know (or watch) O'Reilly...you've just bought into a bunch of left-wing hype.

Zoocoustic said:
Anyone who thinks O'Reilly treated Bono "differently" or in a way that was not "like typical O'Reilly" obviously never watches O'Reilly. Your ignorance to his show and his style is crystal clear.

I said it two days ago - O'Reilly and Bono would have a good honest, discussion of the issues. O'Reilly and Bono wouldn't even get into an arguement. That's what we saw tonight.

Someone said it best when the interview was first announced...O'Reilly is only harsh toward people who make themselves look like idiots all by themselves. To think otherwise just proves you don't know (or watch) O'Reilly...you've just bought into a bunch of left-wing hype.

Good post. It's true. Bill O'Relly only really gets mad at people who dodge simple questions or lie. Bono was VERY good in this interview because he answered everything very directly. You can see that O'Relly respects that in this interview.

anyone who believed that bill o'reilly was satan and watched this interview with an open mind and still feels the same way about o'reilly... i feel sorry for you, 'cause your mind is so set on your ideological beliefs that nothing can change your mind. i thought this conversation was wonderful... it was back and forth, agreement, disagreement, nothing un-civil about it... and guess what people... this is how the majority of o'reilly's interviews go. even though i missed half an hour of my wing night beer special at shanahan's irish pub, it was well worth it... great segment :up:

bonobob.jpg

shart1780 said:

Good post. It's true. Bill O'Relly only really gets mad at people who dodge simple questions or lie. Bono was VERY good in this interview because he answered everything very directly. You can see that O'Relly respects that in this interview.

I agree but a the same time I did read something that O'Reily had written in the past that seemed to belittle what Bono has been trying to do with the crisis in Africa. (Maybe he's changed his mind...he seemed willing to change his mind in the interview from what I saw) In any case, it was a wonderful conversation....I do feel that Bono should have had more of a chance to speak thought rather than being cut off in mid-sentence, when people do that to me I get more than a little miffed. Bono was strong and to the point and not willing to take anything other than 100% from the oppurtunity he had. I do hope someone can put a link for our friends on here that didn't have access to the show....I'd like to see it again myself!

Last edited:
Just watched the replay. I only wish that Bono would get on MSNBC's convention coverage. Seems more "free-wheeling" I bet we could get some good candid Bono on that show.

And I was watching the MSNBC coverage for the Dems and Joe Scarborough (MSNBC's O'Reilly, basically) had nothing but praise for Bono when his name came up when talking about the celebs who were in Boston at that time.

Its all schtick... O'Reily that is.... Same with Chris Matthews and Joe Scarbrough. People on boths sides take things too seriously, and IMO, O'Reily's style made for an interesting debate/ conversation. Softball questions and kissing ass commentary isn't what I'd like to see in every interview.

Great interview, I thought. Bono seemed a little weary at first during the show (appeared that way to me, anways), but gradually warmed up. I was impressed; he really knows his stuff :yes:

O'Reilly didn't kiss any ass and Bono held his own. Thumbs up from me :up:

Last edited:
This is probably one of the best things I've seen of Bono dealing with his Africa works. I was really impressed by the way Bono handled himself, he did a really good job. This should prove to his critics out there that he actually does know what hes talking about, because of you dont the last place you want to be is on the O'Reilly Factor.

I thought BO did a good job interviewing him, and I respected the comments he gave to Bono toward the end, especially the part about "doing God's work." I also like the response Bono gave to that, something like "God must have a good sense of humor if he sent me." Im glad I taped it, and ya, the stare that Bono gives a few times in the interview is intense

I LOVED this interview - it was more than I ever thought possible!:up:

I KNEW that Bono would hold his own "against" O'Reilly - he has YEARS of experience dealing with very conservative people in his advocacy for Africa. Bono knew perfectly well what sort of interference he could come up against in this interview - and he was ready for O'Reilly!:applaud:

But what most struck me was what seemed to be O'Reilly's softening attitude about Bono's message about the AIDS pandemic.

Several times he said he admired Bono's advocacy and wished him well - that's BIG STUFF coming from Bill O'Reilly! :ohmy:

The IMPORTANCE OF THIS INTERVIEW CAN'T BE UNDERSTATED. To continue to be effective in getting Congress to fully fund the Global AIDS and anti-poverty measures SO ESSENTIAL TO AFRICA'S FUTURE, Bono (and DATA) must continue to build a nonpartisan coalition in Congress and gather new supporters from the ranks of people such as those who watch Bill O'Reilly.

Bono made a TREMENDOUS LEAP FORWARD TONIGHT in promoting Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs for Africa and for that, BONO SHOULD BE PROUD OF HIMSELF! :angel:

I have more Respect for the man right now than I ever thought possible...:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Back
Top Bottom