Bono on guitar...fave moment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Swan269 said:
just to be different

"i will follow" on the boston dvd is pretty cool

Does he actually play a frigging thing there? I can't even comprehend why he was holding a guitar during IWF. It's not as if there's a whole lot happening on the guitar in that song! Edge could probably play that song with his little finger while eating noodles with chopsticks.

Personally, I think Bono's best guitar moments are on some Lovetown bootlegs during AIWIY. He plays some moderately interesting stuff (in Bono terms, anyway).

I was about to say, didn't Bono play some lead guitar on AIWIY on Lovetown?

His acoustic guitar on "KITE" during Elevation tour was his best guitar work on stage. I loved it.

When the band stopped and he ended the song was perfection. The song is perfect :drool:

U2Man said:

this is one of the occasions where i think he is only pretending to be playing.

Hmm...I could see that being the case for Walk On on the Boston DVD, but I'm pretty sure Bono really played Staring at the Sun. Curious why you think otherwise?

He doesnt he just wanted to see how we would react. ;)

Bono does play there, also desire as well on Popmart.

Bono can play some guitar.

Axver said:

Does he actually play a frigging thing there? I can't even comprehend why he was holding a guitar during IWF. It's not as if there's a whole lot happening on the guitar in that song! Edge could probably play that song with his little finger while eating noodles with chopsticks.

He is definately playing it. He plays a slightly different chord I believe that was suppose to give it an extra dynamic. Joe O. had the guitar so low in the mix though its hardly noticeable under the house mix.

http://www. .com/files/615304

Just add save file no spaces to hear it. :wink:

Last edited:
Gone, Last Night On Earht and Dirty Day. He kicks major ass on those songs. He was paying his best on the POP era. I think he does a great job on One too, the song would sound a bit empty without his guitar.

Judah said:
I'd still like to know whether Bono played the solo on Dancing Barefoot. I heard/read an Edge or Adam quote to that effect also, but i thought maybe they were joking.

If it is indeed Bono, well...i'd be impressed.

I read a quote from Adam saying Bono had a great solo on Dancing Barefoot, it wasn't a jokey interview, discussing the Best of 1980-90.

There's a clip of Bono playing guitar, actually audible, during In God's Country and Exit from a UK show called Whistle Test. (As of a few days ago, it was still on youtube)

TheBrazilianFly said:
Gone, Last Night On Earht and Dirty Day. He kicks major ass on those songs. He was paying his best on the POP era. I think he does a great job on One too, the song would sound a bit empty without his guitar.

I would have to disagree about One, at least on Elevation and Vertigo. All he does is the occassional strum of a chord here and there. I dont think it adds anything major to the song.

Blue Room said:

I would have to disagree about One, at least on Elevation and Vertigo. All he does is the occassional strum of a chord here and there. I dont think it adds anything major to the song.

Well, at least for 'One' you're not quite right. Bono occasionally does a kind of guitar solo (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) during the song's intro. Rather nice, as I witnessed, during a gig in 2001.

Then, we have lots of other great Bono moments on guitar:

- "I Fall Down": as an example for the early days, when Bono added a 2nd electric guitar to rock thhe house.
- "With Or Without You": The '87-92 days, when he didn't do every night "girl dancing" on stage, but played acoustic guitar, giving the tune a great interplay with the Edge, stretching it longer and leading it to new heights a la "Shine Like Stars..." or "Love Will Tear Us Apart".
- "Running To Stand Still": beautifully played acoustic guitar especially audivle on X-mas at the Point Depot - wow!

"Exit", "All I Want Is You", "Slow Dancing", "All Along The Watchtower", "Angel Of Harlem" (B-stage!), "When Love Comes To Town" (B-stage), "Dirty Day", "Last Night On Earth" and many many more, also snippets after "One" - Bono should definetly play more guitar on stage...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Well, at least for 'One' you're not quite right. Bono occasionally does a kind of guitar solo (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) during the song's intro. Rather nice, as I witnessed, during a gig in 2001.

I guess we will agree to disagree. Here is a sample where you can hear Bono's guitar pretty well on One from Vertigo. He played it pretty much the same way for Elevation. I dont think he is really adding much to the song, strumming chords here and there for the most part. If they thought it was adding alot Joe O. would put it through the PA mix more, its typically barely audible in that mix. Edge's guitar is what makes this song live and I think thats evident in this sample.

http://www. .com/files/624054

Add save file with no spaces.

The only backing guitar Bono does that I think adds much over the last couple of tours was The Fly on Vertigo. He is actually playing consistant chords there. Otherwise the only time his guitar work is good to me is when he adds something at the end of a song where its just him playing guitar. :shrug:

Bono playing that guitar intro was really cool on the Irving Plaza gig.

Blue Room said:

I think on Vertigo Tour he dind't played it much but on the previous tours he did. And would even add an interesting intro during the Elevation Tour. He plays the most on that song at the end during Edge's solo and when he adds the "Hear us coming Lord..." part I think.

I actually dig the strumming on the file you posted. He doesn't play like that on every show though. I do agree that it's Edge's guitar that makes that song live.

Blue Room said:

Edge's guitar is what makes this song live and I think thats evident in this sample. The only backing guitar Bono does that I think adds much over the last couple of tours was The Fly on Vertigo. He is actually playing consistant chords there. Otherwise the only time his guitar work is good to me is when he adds something at the end of a song where its just him playing guitar. :shrug:

Of course it's Edge's guitar, that rules the tune. But as I pointed out - the thread is generally on Bono's guitar moments - there are a lot of examples, where the 2nd guitar contributed a lot to the band sound. And that's for me not only backing, but also playing several riffs, single solo notes etc. I really do wish, Bono would play more ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

- the thread is generally on Bono's guitar moments - there are a lot of examples, where the 2nd guitar contributed a lot to the band sound. And that's for me not only backing, but also playing several riffs, single solo notes etc. I really do wish, Bono would play more ...

Obviously, I never said the thread wasnt and I gave an example of a song where I thought he contributed to a song but as I pointed out with my comments and with a sample I dont think he adds anything to One. Listen to the sample I provided, can you honestly say that improves the song live? Man, I dont think it does at all. Its not bad, but it doesnt add anything either. Provide a sample of One during the song from the Elevation or Vertigo tours where he is really improving it if you can and I will be happy to reconsider my view on it.

Back
Top Bottom