Bono on CNN!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
they just interviewed Bono and the Canadian Prime Minister about the War on Aids.

towards the end of the interview, they asked Bono about the new album and tour.

~ The album will be finished by summer.
~ Single will be out in September.
~ Album will be out in October/November.

:hyper:

This was a live interview, I dunno if they repeat these things during the day or not.

Last edited:
I saw it. It was great.

I don't think it was live though because that meeting took place 2 days ago. I think CNN had done the interview live at the time but for whatever reason they were not able to air it until today. (2 days ago they announced Bono interview live coming up, I didn't think it would take 2 days for it to finally come up...(see the thread I started at the time in PLEBA).

Did you notice that when asked about the album aside from the info you already posted he twice he said it would be their 1st rock and roll album .

It was also funny that he said he had sneaked out of the studio bathroom to attend this meeting.

With all this talk about rock and roll and guitars - even now, this should be interesting...

Wow, that is a pretty bold quote. "This will be our first rock n roll album." For some reason I always thought U2 would do a White Stripes type album. Meaning it would have simple arrangments with a raw rock sound. Should be great any which way.

U2girl said:
With all this talk about rock and roll and guitars - even now, this should be interesting...

i agree... bono talked about a big rock record before ATYCLB, too, but by the time it was within 5-6 months of release he had backed off those comments a bit. the fact that he's still calling it a rocker leads me to believe that it actually is going to be just that.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i agree... bono talked about a big rock record before ATYCLB, too, but by the time it was within 5-6 months of release he had backed off those comments a bit. the fact that he's still calling it a rocker leads me to believe that it actually is going to be just that.

:up:

I never doubt it. Swear to God.

so i guess this settles the debate

u2 were never rock and roll in the first place, i think we all owe shaun vox an apology

i think what the world needs now (other than Love, Sweet, Love) is a real good rock album that IS NOT angry. For the past several years, most rock albums tend to be angry, with lots of testosterone. U2 can make a smart rock album that doesn't need to be screaming non stop...I think this is where we are heading. It's about time. I am pumped.

Anger can be a good thing too sometimes. I like angry rock 'n roll over anything else. Aggressive and pissed off. Gotta have that "Out of my way cause I'm coming through" kind of attitude. Is that what we?re gonna get? I?m not sure but U2 can definitely make it happen if they want.

I'm actually expecting something along the lines of an album that sounds like "Last Night on Earth".

Well, U2 did say that ATYCLB was their attempt at good pop music. That being said, most of the tracks on that CD were in fact, pop songs. So if they are saying this is a rock album, I'd expect the majority of the songs to be rock songs.

Imagine a track listing in the style of what follows:

1. Zoo Station
2. Elevation
3. The Fly
4. Last Night on Earth
5. Electric Co
6. HMTMKMKM
7. Exit
8. Fire
9. Electrical Storm
10. Bullet the Blue Sky
11. New York City
12. New Years Day

If this album carries a theme like that, than it will be their first rock n' roll album.

ZigZag said:
Well, U2 did say that ATYCLB was their attempt at good pop music. That being said, most of the tracks on that CD were in fact, pop songs. So if they are saying this is a rock album, I'd expect the majority of the songs to be rock songs.

Imagine a track listing in the style of what follows:

1. Zoo Station
2. Elevation
3. The Fly
4. Last Night on Earth
5. Electric Co
6. HMTMKMKM
7. Exit
8. Fire
9. Electrical Storm
10. Bullet the Blue Sky
11. New York City
12. New Years Day

If this album carries a theme like that, than it will be their first rock n' roll album.

:bow: :applaud:

except I would take out something for a with or without you.

ZigZag said:
1. Zoo Station
2. Elevation
3. The Fly
4. Last Night on Earth
5. Electric Co
6. HMTMKMKM
7. Exit
8. Fire
9. Electrical Storm
10. Bullet the Blue Sky
11. New York City
12. New Years Day

Good one but I prefer:

1. HMTMKMKM
2. The Fly
3. Until The End Of The World
4. Last Night On Earth (like they play live)
5. New Year's Day
6. The Electric Co.
7. God Part II
8. Bullet The Blue Sky (like they play live)
9. Like A Song
10. I Will Follow
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Gone

Still all of those songs are not as fast or as aggressive as I 'm hoping for this new album to be (btw when I say fast I don't mean trashy, even though that would be great too :wink: , just more up-beat like New Year's Day or The Electric Co.)

TheBrazilianFly said:

Good one but I prefer:

1. HMTMKMKM
2. The Fly
3. Until The End Of The World
4. Last Night On Earth (like they play live)
5. New Year's Day
6. The Electric Co.
7. God Part II
8. Bullet The Blue Sky (like they play live)
9. Like A Song
10. I Will Follow
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Gone

Still all of those songs are not as fast or as aggressive as I 'm hoping for this new album to be (btw when I say fast I don't mean trashy, even though that would be great too :wink: , just more up-beat like New Year's Day or The Electric Co.)

I just listened to "Boy" today for whatever reason, and I was thinking how thrilled I would be if they made another song like "Out of Control". That really is a great song.

But anyway, I wasn't really being to conscience of the track order of that mock up I made, but you got the point anyway. And I like the idea of a kind of bluesy rock song like "God Part II".

ZigZag said:

I just listened to "Boy" today for whatever reason, and I was thinking how thrilled I would be if they made another song like "Out of Control". That really is a great song.

But anyway, I wasn't really being to conscience of the track order of that mock up I made, but you got the point anyway. And I like the idea of a kind of bluesy rock song like "God Part II".

:up:

Out Of Control is always welcomed and God Part II kicks major ass. :cool:

i'm hoping for all creed covers.

imagine bono screaming "WHAT IF! WHAT IF! WHAT IF......I!"

Chizip said:
i hope its simple

i like music where you dont have to think much

Never have I agreed and disagreed with Chizip more. How 'bout this: Great guitar songs with simple, yet subtly complex lyrics. A song that can have you shaking your head (or tapping your feet), yet later down the line making you think about how heavy the lyrics really are. That would be U2 perfection.

And U2 are a ROCK BAND....no question about it.

I want a complex album that goes right over Chizip's head. Sorry, Chizip.

ishkash said:
I just hope its a complex album.

Me too...I almost want to be unsure if I even LIKE it on first listen, or certainly to be shocked and confused by the whole thing. That's what Achtung Baby, Zooropa and to some degree POP did now I love 'em and am still discovering new sounds, layers and shades to those records today.

ATYCLB was fantastic when I first listened to it, particularly the first 6 songs. That rang a few alarm bells for me, it was a bit too accesible for me at the very start and hasn't really 'evolved' for me as an album since then...I still love it of course :)

I want a record that makes me think ALOT!

Back
Top Bottom