Bono now: More like Bono - 10 or Bono - 20?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
Just wondering, do you guys think the Bono of today is more like Bono of 10 yrs ago or the Bono of 20 yrs ago? I say he's more like the Bono of 20 yrs ago because of the spiritual optimism that marks his work of now and then. Bono of 10 yrs ago had a little more despair as part of his equation.

Really, I think it's a combination, naturally. But, for sake of the thread, I'm going to pick Bono from 20 years ago. I think that Bono now exudes an optimism that reminds of me of a really young Bono. Bono seemed more negative and darker in the 90's.

beli said:
10 years ago. Bono doesn't seem optimistic to me at all. I actually think hes appearing a little flat, distracted, not a happy camper.

I have to disagree...Bono seems more joyful than ever, and more direct with the music/politics recipe.

As far as looks, I think he's looking pretty good these days. Many of the Canadian newspapers have been running some of the Vancouver shots where he looks pretty iconic and full of confidence (the latter of which he's seldom lacking in!).

melovekittens said:
I think Bono is different than he was 10 or 20 years ago. But I guess more like 10.

I agree. As Do Miss America pointed out hes not really angry. I view him more as sad at the moment. He looks kinda lost and cracked behind the eyes to me.

I think Bono is weary, which might make him look tired and sad at times. He's seen a lot of awful things and I think feels a burden on his shoulders to change them. But I do think he's optimistic that he and other people can make a difference.

Neither - he's about to turn 45. He isn't as energetic and enthusiastic as in the 80s, he seems less tormented than in the 90s.
He's not yelling as much and doing a lot more.
I see him more in control of his emotions i.e. less visibly angry, not wearing his heart on his sleeve as much as before, etc. Perhaps that's why I find the latest albums a bit aseptic for my taste.

I tkink the new millenium Bono is a mix between 80's and 90's. He has again the spirituality, the emotion, the music preocupation that in the 80's but he keeps a bit of irony from 90's. And don't forget that was in the 90's that he started the solidarity campaigns, and he still does them now.

Back
Top Bottom