"Bono Needs To Lay Off!" - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2002, 01:52 AM   #41
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Yes! Thats why I started this thing...

Old 02-16-2002, 01:53 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:08 PM
To contradict yourself?

Old 02-16-2002, 01:55 AM   #43
New Yorker

Yup!
Old 02-16-2002, 01:57 AM   #44
New Yorker

I just found out the other day that something is going to change my life forever. And I just want to let the stuff flow. Why not? I change my opinion all the time, don't you?
Old 02-16-2002, 02:02 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by vox626:
I love the fact that because gherman expressed an opinion you didnt like or in a manner that you didnt like hes wrong. It was just an opinion, that is what a forum is for. I read nor felt anything rude or mean about what gherman wrote.
You guys can bicker about your opinions all you like, but telling someone they're on the rag because they dont agree is what I dont like.

Old 02-16-2002, 02:02 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:08 PM
gherman:

"its not your opinions, its how you express them"
Old 02-16-2002, 02:04 AM   #47
New Yorker

"Bono Needs To Lay Off!"

"Something is about to give, I can feel it coming, I think I know what it is..." And it is a lot of backlash. It has already started. The media is begginig to pounce and I thing Bono should go do a Brian Willson for a while or U2 is going lose the credibility they worked so hard to get back last year. I don't know if any of you guys feel the same way but Bono is starting to make a lot of people sick. Even I'm starting to tired of the "eliminate the debt" (even though its a great thing he is doing) and hanging out with that fucker Bill Gates. I love U2 and I love Bono but I think that he has reached the top of the curve and it all down hill from here on out and he's going to trip ad tumble down if he dosen't wacth his step.

Its just my opinion so whats yours?
Old 02-16-2002, 02:04 AM   #48
New Yorker

God!!! I said I was sorry about that a log time ago. LET-IT-GO! She has why can't you? And you know what I realy like Spinnighead because she has some real fire in her belly!
Old 02-16-2002, 02:06 AM   #49
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:08 PM
If Bono enjoys doing these things, I think he should keep going...to hell with what everybody else thinks.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."
Old 02-16-2002, 02:12 AM   #50
Refugee

That's right Bonochick-I agree! Let Bono have his say! it's funny how when Bob Geldof had something to say, and he did say alot, everyone told him to be quite! Then-1984/85, they were like, "Ah, what's that you have to say BoB?" And everyone seems to have something to say, but even if I disgree with Bono-at least he isn't belly-aching and not doing nothing about it,he is trying to do what he can where his efforts work-an I have to applod for him! Who cares if no one else agrees-he has a right to a voice! peace ya all..
Old 02-16-2002, 02:12 AM   #51
Refugee

There is something wrong with You if you are getting tired of somebody doing charity work!!

Blargh, I hate it when I hear this shit from outsiders, but it is even worse when it comes from someone that claims to be a U2 fan!!!

Old 02-16-2002, 02:24 AM   #52
New Yorker

Spinning head. How long have you been a fan?
Old 02-16-2002, 02:26 AM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by gherman:
Since 1989, and I am not going to argue with someone over who is a bigger fan. I was only 3 when Boy came out so you can hardly expect me to have taken notice then.

Bono does alot of good for humanity. He should be respected for that, not shot down for it!

Old 02-16-2002, 02:31 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

A few thoughts on U2's two big backlashes of the past regarding to sv's (wonderfully articulate) post:

- From what I've read, U2's 1987-89 backlash had more to do with their hideous overexposure and the "who the hell do they think they are putting themselves among Beatles and Bob Dylan" reaction to Rattle'n'Hum. I honestly don't think that whatever political stuff Bono went on about during the concerts was a big threat to anyone in power, or that any political bigwigs even heard of "Silver and Gold".

- it's true that U2 refused any corporate sponsorship for POPMart, but then they've never ever accepted corporate sponsorship for any of their tours. I see no reason why the potential sponsors would be "outraged" because U2 didn't accept the corporate sponsorship that they've -always- made a point of not accepting. I mean, if your theory was true, why didn't media machine didn't make a job on ZooTV, who BTW had very similar consumerism-mocking themes?

- It's true that initially "POP" got incredibly good reviews, but I remember reading that Oasis' "Be Here Now" received positively gushing reviews when it was first released ("Q" album actually gave it a 5-star review). When the hype died down, many people realised that maybe that album wasn't as good as they first thought. I don't wish to lessen "POP"'s merits, and I do think that most of the bashing it gets now is unfair. I seriously do think, however, that the reason for many of those very positive reviews was that it was a hugely anticipated release from the highly-regarded artists.

- POPMart was a great show compared to the other artists', but I guess that people expect nothing but brilliance from U2, and anything less than great is considered a huge letdown. I can see why some people would label POPMart a failure: it was way too garish and gaudy, it didn't juggle visuals and songs anywhere as successfully as ZooTV, and it's biggest problem was this: the danger of trying to make an ironic statement about the modern-day consumerism is that your show often ends up looking just like another PART of the modern-day consumerism; a part of the problem rather than its critique.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:34 AM   #55
The Fly

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
I fail to see how this question is even relavant to the discussion anyway.

I agree with spinninghead, and if you are also intimating that because Bono is a musician he shouldn't be getting involved in politics I think you're way off. In America, we believe everyone has a voice no matter what their profession. If it annoys people to see Bono trying to do something worthwhile with his life, trying to make the world a better place, then that is their problem.

Old 02-16-2002, 02:42 AM   #56
New Yorker

Dude you need to take a chill pill. Thats good that you have been a fan for so long but you need to be able to see and respect both sides of the story. I've been a fan just as long and I don't love the abnd any more or less. I never said he should stop his charity work, I never said that charity work is bad. I even said, qute me on this "Eventhough it is a great thing he is doing" but when you have as much money as he does and you going on TV every day preaching about giving money back and releif and he dosen't drop a dime himself. That leaves a bitter taste in people's mouth. Bono in a TV interveiw even said it himself "If I saw a rockstar on TV doing the things I do, I would wince." All I'm saying Is that going public so much about it all the time could do more harm than good. Just read the articles. If people get so tired of you and stop listening, what good does that do?
Old 02-16-2002, 02:46 AM   #57
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
but when you have as much money as he does and you going on TV every day preaching about giving money back and releif and he dosen't drop a dime himself.
How do you know that he doesn't?

And I'm NOT attacking you...I'm just asking.

I find it hard to believe that he doesn't contribute any money. However, if he isn't, look at all the time and effort that he IS contributing.

------------------
Old 02-16-2002, 02:50 AM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
Dude you need to take a chill pill.
I need to take a chill pill?? You are the one that came on to this board spouting negative remarks, with nothing to back them up. Bono has donated his voice to many different charities, which have in turn had thousands of dollars worth of money donated. Because of his work!! Him, and his wife Ali also traveled to Ethiopia and did Relief Work. If that isn't "Putting your money where your mouth is" then I don't know what is.

By the way. I am female, not 'a dude'.

[This message has been edited by spinninghead77 (edited 02-15-2002).]
Old 02-16-2002, 02:52 AM   #59
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Ack, there's no need to fight...can't we just debate this in a civil manner instead?

------------------
Old 02-16-2002, 02:55 AM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick:
Ack, there's no need to fight...can't we just debate this in a civil manner instead?

Your right! Sorry if I got on the defense. I just really get bothered when I feel like people are attacking Bono. Especially when they are attacking him for the good things that he does! (Feel free to attack the mullet, I won't argue )