Bono Needs More Emotional Detachment So He Can Sing "Unsingable" Songs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bono Needs More Emotional Detachment So He Can Sing "Unsingable" Songs...

:tsk: Jick, jick, jick...

jick said:

During Elevation, Bono's song for his daughters was Kite. It was a personal song. It didn't get played for the first few shows until Phoenix I think.

Yes, and what you conveniently forget to mention is that it was played in practically every show after that for the duration of the tour. :rolleyes:

Nowadays, in Sometimes You Can't Make It - Bono gets too emotional and chokes somewhere in the song - making him have problems singing the falsetto part "best you can do is to fake it". This diminishes the aural clarity, sound quality, and faithfulness to the original of the song.

Many, including myself, would argue that this emotion makes the songs more powerful. Besides, Bono and U2 have said on many occasions that live is where their songs really come to life. They're not a studio band.

The rest of your post is pure speculation. U2 is known for including more songs from their current album as the tours progress.

And your suggestion that U2 approach their songs with emotional detachment would completely ruin their live shows. The main reason U2 puts on such a great show IS the emotion Bono and all of U2 put into every song.

Sometimes I wonder if you have any idea what U2 is about, jick.

Last edited:
beLIEve said:
Adam was a robot.

I dunno, the camera never really stayed on Adam long enough to make out his reactions. Only time I could almost tell was during "Stuck" when Bono was leaning against him.

I was watching the Red Rocks video a few weeks ago, during Electric Co., where Bono's climbing to where the spotlights were, at first Adam is smiling, then you see this look, of concern, when he realises where Bono went.

He looked choked up during the Hall of Fame ceremony, and I saw one tear running down Larry's face too.

-----------------------------------------------------

There's a problem Jick, Bono also said that he can't really sing the songs if he's not fully "in them." He has to be attached, in order to sing them.

Seems like I have been ripped to pieces here. I guess people fail to see the distinction of why songs are "unsingable".

There are songs that can't be performed because U2 simply cannot make it fit thematically or make a good live arrangement for it, such as Playboy Mansion or Grace. I am NOT referring to these types of songs but there are others who would like to imply that I am. I am not.

Then there are songs that can't be performed because they are too emotional. Among the prime examples include One Tree Hill (circa half of the JT Tour when memory of Caroll's death was there). And based on the recent Bono quotes about A Man And A Woman, it looks like that will follow suit. These are the kinds of songs I am referring to.

There are also songs that are performed live, but due to the high emotional content - it goes out of tune. Bono's voice is cracking when he sings the falsetto in the end of Sometimes You Can't Make It -- this gives the listener earbleed. Bono also can't stop ranting to his father, such as the Grammy performance where he just seemed to add more and more lines and snippets to end the song -- so much that he ended it waaaay out of key and this actually startled the crowd and made them not give him the standing ovation. It sounded like he sang something wrong. Or how about shortly after Hutchence's death? He dedicated One for Hutchence in the Popmart Mexico video and he was so emotionally charged that his voice was going off key and choking when he sang the "higher" portion to end the song. It did make for some earbleed.

Emotion is what drives music. Sing with emotion, sing with passion. U2 do it for a living. They have had so many emotionally charged versions of Sunday Bloody Sunday, or Bad (when Bono used to dedicate it to his friend who died of heroin overdose), or Walk On right after 9/11. These are the great U2 songs. But two things must be rememebered -- all these songs are: (1) sang in tune and in key; and, (2) actually performed.

If a song is s brilliant and beautiful, but it is not performed because it would be a sobfest for U2 then it is a disservice to the fans. I would rather hear a live version that is emotionally detached (as I am suggesting) rather than not hear it at all. I'd also rather hear a live version in tune then hear an overly emotional live version that is butchered out of tune. How can this be made possible? By emotional detachment of course.

So my post doesn't address all the brilliant live performances of emotionally charged songs. U2 sing with emotion and passion for a living. Also, my post doesn't address songs that were not performed live due to technical or setlist management reasons. My post deals with songs that the band "chickened out" on playing due to their overly personal emotional content. I'd rather have the band play it live and not play it at all. And the only way to do it is through emotional detachment.

I hope I made myself clear here.

Cheers,

J

I understand jick's point and jick is right about the part of the Grammy performance of Sometimes with Bono adding stuff at the end. His vocals went off real bad with the additional lines at the end.

I always think that if U2 can't do a song justice live (for instance Do You Feel Loved) that they shouldn't play it b/c it ruins the song. Some songs translate over well (Beautiful Day/ Elevation) but some songs don't for obvious reasons. But I think its a shame that they ignore songs b/c they are to "hard" to play or aren't willing to add another musician.

If they don't play songs b/c they feel they get "too" emotional about them. :shrug:

jick said:
Seems like I have been ripped to pieces here. I guess people fail to see the distinction of why songs are "unsingable".
Or maybe because you come off as not knowing what you are talking about.

jick said:

Then there are songs that can't be performed because they are too emotional. Among the prime examples include One Tree Hill (circa half of the JT Tour when memory of Caroll's death was there).
Played 38 times, not too bad for a non single(besides NZ) that has a fairly difficult vocal part(Raining...)

jick said:

And based on the recent Bono quotes about A Man And A Woman, it looks like that will follow suit.
Because we've had so many Vertigo dates to which to tell this by?:huh:
jick said:

such as the Grammy performance where he just seemed to add more and more lines and snippets to end the song -- so much that he ended it waaaay out of key and this actually startled the crowd and made them not give him the standing ovation.
I agree the added lines were off, I don't think it had anything to do with not having a standing ovation. I think it had to do more with the fact that it was the only performance with out outlandish props, tributes to other bands, or pyro. But still this song doesn't fit your "unsingable" theory.

jick said:

Or how about shortly after Hutchence's death? He dedicated One for Hutchence in the Popmart Mexico video and he was so emotionally charged that his voice was going off key and choking when he sang the "higher" portion to end the song. It did make for some earbleed.
Every Pop show I saw (4) he was spot on.

You haven't shown one song that has never been played due to being too emotional. You've shown a few performances where Bono may have choked up a little. A handful, compared to the hundreds of shows U2's played over the years. None of which prove your theory.

So really you haven't proven jack Jick. If you'd like to present real facts as to how they "chickened" out due to being too emotional and not for technical reasons I'll be glad to listen.

Wow there is really some anger in here. :huh:

I dont understand why you all have to be so violent in your disagreements.

I dont agree with you though. When U2 plays live magic happens. I dont know how many shows you have been to but at least for me after a while its not about a perfect rendition of the songs but it is about the emotion that connects us with them on stage.

I love U2 and songs like "Sometimes" not because they have great cord progressions but because there is a passion in them that I can reach out to and be picked up by.

Not really

Norse said:
Wow there is really some anger in here. :huh:

I dont understand why you all have to be so violent in your disagreements.

We're not really angry. This is a normal Jick post/response/debate. Most Interferencers are quite nice, actually. Jick has a special ability to push people's buttons, but even the responses have to be taken with a grain of salt. Jick threads are entertaining if you don't take them too seriously.

:wink:

jick said:
Or how about shortly after Hutchence's death? He dedicated One for Hutchence in the Popmart Mexico video and he was so emotionally charged that his voice was going off key and choking when he sang the "higher" portion to end the song. It did make for some earbleed.

How can you find fault with this performance? It's one of the most moving things I've ever seen from the band. Bono also chokes on the line "I can't raise...the dead" because he's crying. That is something you don't see too often, and rather than criticizing him for not keeping his emotions in check, you should be applauding him for being so naked in his delivery and belief in the song. It's pure, and it's beautiful.

Rock & Roll is NOT about perfection, or even aiming for it. If you're looking for that, go to a fucking opera or symphony performance. Moments like One in Mexico City are everything that's great about Bono & U2, not something that detracts from their greatness.

laz

Frankly, I don't care if his voice cracks or is out of tune due to emotion. To not play a song because you can't reach the notes due to emotion is missing the entire point. Song is one of the best vehicles for expressing emotion.

Bah and blah.

This is just another thread for Jick to continue to convince himself that he's a deep thinker. A lot of times you make sense, Jick, and you bring up some interesting points, but it seems that the only purpose you have for starting most of these threads is to say "look at how smart I am". And you risk coming off like a loon at times. If there was some sincerety in your posts, maybe it wouldn't bother people so much, and it would be fine to come off looking crazy. But for you it too often seems to be a cry for attention.

But, of course, you could probably read the same thing into my reply...

I must add: Moderators, open another section of Everything you know is wrong, just for jick.
As for jick's post, now i see what's he talking about. I disagree.
You want to hear Bono rapping(like 50 cent, not molesting) the Acrobat??

Pero said:
I must add: Moderators, open another section of Everything you know is wrong, just for jick.
As for jick's post, now i see what's he talking about. I disagree.
You want to hear Bono rapping(like 50 cent, not molesting) the Acrobat??
:lmao:

Re: Not really

beLIEve said:

We're not really angry. This is a normal Jick post/response/debate. Most Interferencers are quite nice, actually. Jick has a special ability to push people's buttons, but even the responses have to be taken with a grain of salt. Jick threads are entertaining if you don't take them too seriously.

:wink:

Exactly, Jick loves all this. Her says most of the things he says just to get a rise out of people.. I'm pretty sure he sits there thinking of things to say to wind people up. he loves the attention and to be honest it is a good laugh reading all the stuff he posts, even though it is a load of crap most of the time..

Yeah, remember when U2 cut "One" and "I Still Haven't Found.../NEVER TEAR US APART" after Hutch died because it was too emotional. Or how they didn't play "Gone" or "Stuck" on the next tour because they were too painful for Bono to sing. Oh, that's right, they DIDN'T. Go watch the PopMart performance of One. Watch Bono weep. Feel better?

Pero said:

You know, this is a really good idea. We could call it Jickland or something.

It would be its own sub-forum. That way, you could avoid it easier if you wanted to...

:D

Or "Into the Jick"

or "Jick Moves in Mysterious Ways'

or "Jick Still Hasn't Found What He's Looking For"

(We love you buddy. You know that. :wink: )

I am saying that there are some songs U2 don't play because of the highly charged emotional content.

Take early JT shows for example. U2 didn't play One Tree Hill. So many fans must have been disappointed not to hear that especially since it was off the current album.

The same might be the case for A Man And A Woman this tour.

So I am saying there are maybe 5% of songs in the U2 catalogue that they won't play because of the emotional content, and not because of technical reasons or other things.

My solution for these small minority of U2 songs is that U2 should still play them as a service to their fans. And the only way they can do so is by emotionally detaching themselves.

Cheers,

J

I don't think it would be a service to the fans to see half-assed versions of their songs that suffer from emotional detachment. I think it would be an insult.

The jick
or
With or Without jick
or
The Unforgettable jick
or
City of Blinding Threads
or
Ultra jick(Light my way)
or
Staring at the thread
or
jick part I

jick said:
I am saying that there are some songs U2 don't play because of the highly charged emotional content.

Take early JT shows for example. U2 didn't play One Tree Hill. So many fans must have been disappointed not to hear that especially since it was off the current album.

The same might be the case for A Man And A Woman this tour.

So I am saying there are maybe 5% of songs in the U2 catalogue that they won't play because of the emotional content, and not because of technical reasons or other things.

My solution for these small minority of U2 songs is that U2 should still play them as a service to their fans. And the only way they can do so is by emotionally detaching themselves.

Cheers,

J

I'm sure if you keep repeating yourself over and over even without facts someone somewhere will buy it.

jick said:
There are also songs that are performed live, but due to the high emotional content - it goes out of tune. Bono's voice is cracking when he sings the falsetto in the end of Sometimes You Can't Make It -- this gives the listener earbleed. Bono also can't stop ranting to his father, such as the Grammy performance where he just seemed to add more and more lines and snippets to end the song -- so much that he ended it waaaay out of key and this actually startled the crowd and made them not give him the standing ovation. It sounded like he sang something wrong.

You are so unbelievably insensitive. Have you ever lost a father? Give the guy a break! So he flubs up a note here and there, so what?? He's human and has emotions and I would imagine it is not always easy singing a song that hits so close to home for him.

I think you've made your points in this thread. On to the next topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom