Bono mentioned on 'Felicity' last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kariatari

War Child
Ordinarilly, I probably wouldn't mention it, but since things have been kinda slow lately, I thought, "What the hell!"

Anyway, I was watchin' 'Felicity' last night (the WB show w/ Kerri Russell...)and one of the characters asked his friend Elena to a Save the World convention thingy. Evidently, there was a girl that he wanted to impress, so he wanted to take Elena to make her jealous. Anyway, they get to the convention and the guy tells Elena that he really brought her just because she's black. And Elena says, "ExCUSE me?" And the guy says, "You're black, so it makes me cool. It makes me a man of the people, kinda like Bono!"
biggrin.gif
(Elena proceeded to punch him...which made it even funnier)

I thought it was pretty cool. Although most of my friends said they probably wouldn't have known who Bono was if they didn't live next to rabid U2 fan.
smile.gif

Originally posted by MBH:
How in the world would they not know who Bono is? Just curious, how old are you and your friends? With the Super Bowl appearance and MTV alone they should have a good idea who Bono is....

They are my age, 18-19 yrs old. (Don't ask me how they wouldn't know Bono, cuz I'm not exactly sure either.
confused.gif
)

I do know that they didn't know who Bono was before last fall when we all moved into the dorms - they knew who U2 were, they just didn't know who Bono was. Also, the only reason why they watched the Super Bowl is because I forced them to watch the halftime with me, and they hardly - if ever - watch MTV. They are also not the type of people who pay close attention to the news, so they wouldn't have caught him on CNN or CSPAN or anything like that.

Being a hardcore U2 fan, it's kind of hard to believe that anybody *wouldn't* know who Bono. But look at all of the exposure that all of the crappy Boy Bands have had - over the last few years, they've had a LOT. Even with all of that exposure, Justin Timberlake is the only Boy Band member that I can name.

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 04-18-2002).]

Originally posted by kariatari:
They are my age, 18-19 yrs old. (Don't ask me how they wouldn't know Bono, cuz I'm not exactly sure either.
confused.gif
)

I do know that they didn't know who Bono was before last fall when we all moved into the dorms - they knew who U2 were, they just didn't know who Bono was. Also, the only reason why they watched the Super Bowl is because I forced them to watch the halftime with me, and they hardly - if ever - watch MTV. They are also not the type of people who pay close attention to the news, so they wouldn't have caught him on CNN or CSPAN or anything like that.

Being a hardcore U2 fan, it's kind of hard to believe that anybody *wouldn't* know who Bono. But look at all of the exposure that all of the crappy Boy Bands have had - over the last few years, they've had a LOT. Even with all of that exposure, Justin Timberlake is the only Boy Band member that I can name.

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 04-18-2002).]

Good point....usually the most popular member of the band is the one that "everyone" seems to know, hence Bono and Timberlake...maybe we can't relate b/c we are such avid fans....oh well...

Hey, that's really cool! I don't watch Felicity, but still...

Hey, you gave me an idea. Where have you seen/heard U2 mentioned on TV shows in general? I've got lots of times...

1. WOWY played on "Friends"
2. On the old TNBC show "California Dreams" in the early 90s, a record store was having a special where you would get a lock of Bono's hair with a purchase of one of their cds...lmao
3. On Saved by the Bell in the early 90s, the gang tried to get U2 tickets! (ZooTv....woohoo!)
4. Oh, and also on Friends, Emily, Ross' ex-wife, mentions at one point that she hasn't seen one of her old boyfriends "since that U2 concert!"
5. This is a movie, but...On Ferris Bueller's Day Off, there's a "War" poster in one of the scenes...Or maybe it's Boy. I can't remember. I'll have to watch it again.
6. Last summer when I was watching the MTV show "Undressed" one of the dorm rooms had a ATYCLB poster.
7. I know I've seen an R&H poster in several TV shows, but the only one I can remember right now is the early 90s show "Almost Home."
8. On another movie...In the 1989 film "Teen Witch" the witch, played by Robyn Lively, is saying a spell and when her friend comes up and asks her what she said, she says, "Oh, it's a new U2 song. It's really cool. It's an import!"

That's all I got...For now!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by NicaMom:
wertsie, in Smallville they've played "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation".
I love little U2 surprises.
wink.gif

Really? Cool! I watched that show for a bit, but it interferes with Friends so I don't anymore..lmao

------------------

OMG!! wertsie!! I used to watch Teen witch over and over and over again!!
biggrin.gif
LOL! That's crazy!

Here are some "U2 surprises" that I thought of...

1. Somebody on Cheers once said that their favorite band was U2
2. In the beginning of Family Matters, there is a RollingStone magazine w/ Bono on front
3. My mom said that on Ellen, Ellen was giving advice to one of her students and she broke out into a U2 song.
4. Here's a Movie one...In A Night at the Roxbury, there is a Pop CD sitting on one of the brothers' bedstands.

OMG!! wertsie!! I used to watch Teen witch over and over and over again!!
biggrin.gif
LOL! That's crazy!

Here are some "U2 surprises" that I thought of...

1. Somebody on Cheers once said that their favorite band was U2
2. In the beginning of Family Matters, there is a RollingStone magazine w/ Bono on front
3. My mom said that on Ellen, Ellen was giving advice to one of her students and she broke out into a U2 song.
4. Here's a Movie one...In A Night at the Roxbury, there is a Pop CD sitting on one of the brothers' bedstands.

Hey we had a thread of all the stuff like this on PLEBA a few weeks ago!

Interesting Bono/Felicity trival connection: (I saw this written the paper about her) Felicity's ratings dramatically dropped after she chopped off all her lovely hair. Reminds me of someone else whose album sales were lower when he did the same to his lovely hair
wink.gif
LOL. Don't flame. Couldn't resist.

this is a cool and interesting post that deserves its own thread in "everything you know is wrong." can we move it there?

during the howard stern grammy show in 94 he was BEGGING bababooey to get bono on the show. he was getting him all these guests and stern was like "i want bono!' and booey was like "i don't think we're going to get bono but we do have... "

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

Oh, then there's Moulin Rouge, where they sang:

"In the name of love...One NIGHT in the name of love.."

I started laughing at that part!

------------------

Originally posted by wertsie:

I started laughing at that part!

I was just happy U2 managed to get a line in there, given all the other songs that were being used.

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:

Interesting Bono/Felicity trival connection: (I saw this written the paper about her) Felicity's ratings dramatically dropped after she chopped off all her lovely hair. Reminds me of someone else whose album sales were lower when he did the same to his lovely hair
wink.gif
LOL. Don't flame. Couldn't resist.

I heard that too! (About Felicity anyway...
wink.gif
)

Ya know, I wasn't a die-hard back during pop, but I remember thinking, "What the hell did Bono do to all of his gorgeous hair?!"
eek.gif
But now that I look back on the Pop look, it's pretty feckin' shexy!
smile.gif
I *LOVE* the little bit of stubble he had goin' on with the buzz cut...he looked pretty bad-ass if ya ask me!

Ordinarilly, I probably wouldn't mention it, but since things have been kinda slow lately, I thought, "What the hell!"

Anyway, I was watchin' 'Felicity' last night (the WB show w/ Kerri Russell...)and one of the characters asked his friend Elena to a Save the World convention thingy. Evidently, there was a girl that he wanted
to impress, so he wanted to take Elena to make her jealous. Anyway, they get to the convention and the guy tells Elena that he really brought her just because she's black. And Elena says, "ExCUSE me?" And the guy says, "You're black, so it makes me cool. It makes me a man of the people, kinda like Bono!"
biggrin.gif
(Elena proceeded to punch him...which made it even funnier)

I thought it was pretty cool. Although most of my friends said they probably wouldn't have known who Bono was if they didn't live next to rabid U2 fan.
smile.gif

How in the world would they not know who Bono is? Just curious, how old are you and your friends? With the Super Bowl appearance and MTV alone they should have a good idea who Bono is....

I usually don't watch Felicity but I did last night and I thought that's what that guy said. I had to think about it and wished I could rewind it to see! Thanks for confirming it
wink.gif

------------------
"And when it's raining,
raining hard, that's when the rain will break my heart."

I heard that too! (About Felicity anyway...
wink.gif
)

Ya know, I wasn't a die-hard back during pop, but I remember thinking, "What the hell did Bono do to all of his gorgeous hair?!"
eek.gif
But now that I look back on the Pop look, it's pretty feckin' shexy!
smile.gif
I *LOVE* the little bit of stubble he had goin' on with the buzz cut...he looked pretty bad-ass if ya ask me!

Maybe I just like beautiful guys more than 'bad asses' but I think he looked fecking awful with the Pop look LOL. It just didn't suit him. Looks much better with hair. So does Kerri Russell
smile.gif

------------------
I've seen his baby blue eyes in the freeze frame so many times I feel like I'm his very best friend~~~~

In Mrs. Doubtfire there is a U2 poster in the girl's bedroom...can't remember which one ...seems like it was the Joshua Tree.

I don't remember which sitcom this was...but I remember this guy had finally gotten up the courage to tell a girl he loved her...and she didn't hear him and asked him what he had just said and he chickened out.

"I said I love U2...you know...Bono and those guys"

Then of course there was that mention in the Commitments...I don't remember it exactly but it was a sarcastic remark of an Irish father to his son concerning his new band ..jokingly implying that the new band would be some kind of threat to U2. Which it was not...
smile.gif

dream wanderer

[This message has been edited by dream wanderer (edited 04-19-2002).]

Originally posted by wertsie:

I'm happy that they threw a U2 song in that medley (and that Ewan McGregor got to sing it!), but now I know way too many people who think that the line really is "one night." I try to explain that it's a song about MLK and not that kind of love, but I don't think they get it.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
Maybe I just like beautiful guys more than 'bad asses' but I think he looked fecking awful with the Pop look LOL. It just didn't suit him. Looks much better with hair. So does Kerri Russell
smile.gif

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll still take Bono with hair over Pop Bono any day!
smile.gif
However, I won't take MulletBono over Pop Bono. LOL!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll still take Bono with hair over Pop Bono any day!
smile.gif
However, I won't take MulletBono over Pop Bono. LOL!

I would!
biggrin.gif
I think 'mullet' Bono was sexy.

1liveaidbono.jpg

I was very hot for him in those days, and looking back now I still swoon and fail to see what was so bad about him. I still like his hair and his clothes. Guess you just had to have been there, or at least have seen him before 'mullet' jokes polluted the internet and predjudiced people against him.
frown.gif

*Feels another era war coming on*

*runs for cover*

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-19-2002).]

NO! NO!! Not the mullet!! ANYTHING but the mullet!! LMFAO!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

He's sexy, no doubt about that, but yeah...the mullet is kind of a turn-off...

Emm...I could have sworn this wasn't PLEBA...LOL!

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 04-19-2002).]

NO! NO!! Not the mullet!! ANYTHING but the mullet!! LMFAO!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

He's sexy, no doubt about that, but yeah...the mullet is kind of a turn-off...

Emm...I could have sworn this wasn't PLEBA...LOL!

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 04-19-2002).]

Well I just don't getcha 'cuz POP Bono is my worse turn off *cringe* and I am hot for mullet Bono. ANYTHING but that skinhead!
icon21.gif
His head looked like some woman's half grown out armpit hairs all sweaty and gross! You know I disliked the buzz SO much, I actually prefer the totally slick head from the Seattle show, and that's bad! LMAO!
biggrin.gif
But you're right that this isn't PLEBA. Back to the show. I don't watch Felicity so I can't comment on that.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

Back
Top Bottom