Bono Mentioned In Clinton's Book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I got the book today, and there are a few references to Bono. Two in which he talks about debt relief, and how even Jesse Helms was supporting it thanks to Bono's personal outreach to him.

In the other, he talks about being in Ireland and greeting Bono, Ali, and other members of U2 at the Bank Of Ireland. Bono gave him a book of Yeats poems as a gift, and inscribed it (it was also inscribed by Yeats himself) " Bill, Hillary, Chelsea-this guy wrote a few good lyrics-Bono and Ali" Clinton says "The Irish aren't known for understatement, but Bono pulled it off ".

Anyway, I looked for Bono in the index even before I looked up Monica :wink:

Oh that's great. I've had the book on order for quite a while now and am anxious to get it. Altho, I'm still not done reading Hillary's yet. The Clinton's fascinate me and altho we all know his faults, I truly think he's a remarkable man.

can't wait to read it.

Hey MrsSpringsteen -

I just wanted to say thanks so much, and I have used your info as a News item for Interference.com. :wave:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I got the book today, and there are a few references to Bono. Two in which he talks about debt relief, and how even Jesse Helms was supporting it thanks to Bono's personal outreach to him.

I went to the same Elevation tour concert in DC as Jesse Helms. How uncool is that?

I hoped Bono would at least get a mention, considering what close friends they seem to be. Yay! But I'm kind of disappointed that the book doesn't drop a little more about their personal relationship rather than their political one. I would LOVE to hear Clinton's take on that first hotel meeting during the Zoo TV tour. Yes yes, I know the world doesn't revolve around Bono outside of my head...but I'm sure some hilarious Bono tidbits would have added some color to what reviewers have called a boring book...As if a politician's memoir could be anything else. Hello, has anyone else here struggled through Thomas Jefferson's "Notes on the State of Virginia"?!! Now THAT is a boring book, and Jefferson is clearly the most brilliant writer of all the American Presidents (not to mention my personal favorite). It may not be a thriller, but anything written by a president has value as a historical document. Maybe the candid, personal stories will come out eventually, just like Jefferson's very personal, often hilarious correspondences with John Adams later did? Just a thought. :shrug: Anyway, I'll get around to reading Clinton's book despite the reviews, if copies are left in the store that is...lol

Bono was mentioned in a document I had during the preparation to my final exam at High School, two years ago.

It was the period I just was fallen in love with U2... so it was so cool!!!

bono was mentioned because of the support to the "Drop the debt" / Jubilee 2000 campaing:wink:

isabelle_guns said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Bono was mentioned in ever political book or bio in one way or another :p

He's mentioned in a fairly recent book called "The Invisible People", which deals with the U.S. reaction to the AIDS pandemic.

But anyway, I think it's cool that Clinton mentioned him in his book. Bono has obviously made a big impact on people in high places. I want to read it, but I'm still reading Hillary's book right now, too. And I don't think I could take two political type biographies in a row.

Back
Top Bottom