Bono makes a mention of "Original of the Species" back in 1992...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I remember coming across this before and noticing that. I've recently been rereading the archive on @u2 and he used it even earlier than this, but I can't remember now how early. But it is fascinating to go back through archives and spot little sound bite and phrases or metaphors that he uses that eventually end up in song lyrics. In general anything he tends to use more than once in interview settings usually ends up in a song in some way or another. That's one of the interesting things about the way Bono does song lyrics. Rather than write entire sets of lyrics he tends to collect little snippets and couplets and things and when he starts doing his Bongolese over the music tracks he shuffles them around like puzzle pieces. That's why when you listen to the outtakes from various sessions their will be little bits and pieces of lyrics that have floated around from one song to another before finding a final resting place. I that's why I always feel such a connection between the words and the music in U2 songs whereas often with other artists I have trouble reconciling the lyric with the music. Oddly enough the one other artist I can think of that I get the same feeling of connection from is Aerosmith and when I read their biography I discovered that Tyler also writes on the mic alot like Bono and he says he just sings what Joe's guitar tells him to.

Dana

I've seen Bono use the phrase when discribing Roy Orbison. Not sure what on a date, but years before the song was released. Did Bono do the RRHOF induction speech for Roy?

I've seen Bono use the phrase when discribing Roy Orbison. Not sure what on a date, but years before the song was released. Did Bono do the RRHOF induction speech for Roy?

I don't think so but he wrote a song for him during the JT tour and it was the centerpiece of the last album Roy did before his death. It was called "She's a Mystery to Me" or sometimes known as "Mystery Girl".

Dana

Back
Top Bottom