Bono: lose the tinted shades and the hair.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LostAtMoon said:
I think Bono looks great although I would prefer that he wouldn’t wear those shades all the time because he’s got those wonderful blue eyes:love: that I wish I could see all the time.

I agree Lost his eyes are so lovely and he should show them off more! :cute:

Bono just looks old these days. He was the coolest guy on the planet 10-15 years ago but he just looks like an old politician now pretending to be cool.:wink:

If anyone looked OLD last night, it was Adam. Sorry. That gray crewcut makes him look at least 10 years older than the others, though he's the same age. If he'd grow it out a bit and dye it blond, he would look much better. I loved Bono and Larry's hair, and Edge's total look. I do not like Bono's chin stubble.

If I were Bono's stylist......I'd cut his hair, throw out the gell, color it so that it's not so obvisouly colored (if that makes sense), ditch the shades, get him some lighter/softer colored clothes. The shades make it so you can't see his eyes, which are a lovely soft blue, so all you CAN see are the lines on his face under his eyes. The stuble most go too, but that's more of a personal preference. He's too rough looking in general these days.

Bono's current look often reminds me of Sean Penn....not sure why...

i love stubble!:drool: :drool:
so tactile texture-y!

true it was a little past just grown-in, which I prefer and which looks considerably cooler than the almost-beard stage his was verging on. it seemed to me it like grew from the beginning of the show to the end actually!

I liked the see-thru variation on the shades and thought his hair was just great.

And that wasn't his usual cross was it? It looked good how it hung on his clothes last night.
I
think he's doing a fab job of maintaining a rockstar look as he ages. It's a tricky thing to pull off, and yes he likely has some stylist input indeed! I think its easier for people like Mick Jagger actually, or other wraith-type figures, because as they age they seem to be falling deeper into their essential aesthetic..

But he looks comfy in his clothes to me, especially last night he did, not stiff or waxy at all.
It's always a challenge,modifying your look as you age, and I kept thinking he had it well together last night.
I mean, did you catch George Clooney on Leno just before conan? I hadn't seen him in a while, and he's aged since last I stared at him! A little less slick, a little more creased. It's reality baby.

And Adam's got great hair, grey and all! His hair has hugely improved with age really no? It was a little short last night--I like it better when it's grown out a bit more...but it seemed so hard to tame back in the day, and now it just seems virile instead of big. I'm not a fan of blondes dying their hair when it goes grey, not men anyway...and he's got such a bright beautiful shade of grey too! It works for the group as well; makes it seem like hey we're not afraid of admitting our age.

cheerio!

I remember readin that the reason he wears shades all the time is cuz he gets allergic to certain things, and his eyes get puffy or red a lot

so i'd much rather have him wear some nice shades, which have become his trademark, then go around looking like he's stoned

I have a sense for this stuff and I couldn't agree more with the original post. I thought Bono was dressed well last night. The cotton shirt with the simple black jacket, jeans and rosary was better than what he normally wears in concert.

The problem I have is with the hair and sunglasses. He's become a caricature of himself, to use his own words. I thought the two best looks for Bono were the Amnesty tour Bono with the caveman long hair, no glasses and the Buffalo Bill jacket and the Pop tour Bono with the short hair and tight shirts.

Now Bono might've gained some weight since then, so the tight shirts may not work, but if I were his stylist I'd insist he at least take off those silly colored glasses and cut the damn hair! And whatever you do, never EVER wear that Fidel army hat again!

well, I'm glad to see him go with some shades that let some light in though, allergies or no, he needs to get *some* light in for his melatonin levels to be optimal poor boy!

I agree about the sean penn thing liveluvandbootlegmusic! At least that there's more of a resemblance lately...I think it is a jawline and cheekbone deal. Sean Penn has always had this distinctive combination of hard angles and softnesses there, and as Bono is getting older his face is softening up to make him look more like that. I think that's why he shouldn't cut his hair real short...it would allow more attention to those inevitable softening spots along the jaw and the chin, and its not like he has a whole lot of volume up top these days to bring the eye upward for distraction. I think the combo of a strategically done layering top and sides with a little flow-y length is good and very natural seeming.
And if anything would make for a politician look it would be lightening up the colors. Variations on black are the appropriate colors for rockstars, imho! what's he gonna do, start with khakis?! That was even wrong for Al Gore!

cheers all!

I think Bono is looking mighty nice these days!! If anything all he needs is a trim in the back...thats all.:wink: If he thinks it looks cool then more power to him!!!! He still looks great!!:yes:

I personally thought he looked good; better than other times I've seen pics or videos of him recently....

doctorwho said:

Hey - it's rjhbonovox and guess what?! He's complaining about Bono! Wow! So different! So unique! :wink:

Yeah but why does Bono wear the syrup. Why doesn't he just show the world he's a slaphead and be happy with it!:wink:

He insists on long hair, even though he couldn't do it 4 years ago. Get back to the BD/Electrical storm haircut.

That said, it's the stubble that makes him look old. Two words: shave, always.

Last edited:
I find this thread highly amusing. So many things to say....about someone's hair? Nope, we don't live in a superficial culture at all. Not at all. :wink:

This thread makes me sick.

I wish everyone was ugly.

Some of us here sure are inside.

I think anyone making negative comments needs to go watch the Elephant Man and ponder the meaning of the film.

redhill said:

I think anyone making negative comments needs to go watch the Elephant Man and ponder the meaning of the film.

While your heart is in the right place, and of course you're right, dipping into the shallow end of the celebrity pool from time to time does not make one a horrible person.

It's okay to be silly and shallow about celebrities sometimes.

With all due respect (and I say that only because my next words would sound unduly harsh without it), lighten up.

yeah...c'mon...it's only stubble we're talking about!
Maybe this stuff needs to stay in PLEBA or it rubs folks the wrong way. The folks who just want to say nasty things don't tend to come in there just to complain about hair...

hey, ya know, edge himself complained about Bono's 'crap' sunglasses last night, so maybe we ought to just concede the point to the original poster and move on. :wink: sorry for adding to the forum-space use, but I just couldn't resist! Asking 'hey,what's with the shades and the hair?' about Bono!

You know what I don't like about the sunglasses he had on last night? They made him look beady-eyed.

redhill said:

Elephant Man's a great film but I don't think Bono looks that bad. Although even John Merrick never wore a syrup like Bono!:wink:

In an ideal world, I'd prefer short-haired Bono to the current incarnation. I remember being with a few of my friends when they first saw the "Vertigo"/iPod commercial, last year. The first words out of the first guy's mouth: "Damn...that motherfucker needs to shave and get a haircut."

But Bono's started to bald, a bit. He couldn't swing the short hair, anymore, no matter how much good it may theoretically do. At least, it sure didn't look like he'd be able to pull it off when I saw the band in the Chi, last month...thinning like crazy, 'round back.

Back
Top Bottom