Bono is a bhoy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
So apparently I read on a list of famous football fans that Bono supports Glasgow Celtic.

Now this is highly unlikely because considering the fact he runs around the world so much these days he probably doesn't spend his free time worrying about Stilian Petrov signing a new contract (the way Oasis are Man City fans, for instance) but I suppose perhaps he liked them as a youngster? Information appreciated.

bono supports celtic, and belive he was there to see them in europe, larry i belive supports man u

I heard that he, Simple Minds's singer Jim Kerr and an other scottish entrepreneur once made an offer to buy Celtic Glasgow...........don't know if it's true. But he's definitely a Celtic sympathizer, it was once known

Well done Bono, join the ranks.
:wink:

I'd also like to know his thoughts on Keane’s arrival and possibly on Sutton's departure to Birmingham.

But most of all is Shun really Japanese or is he from Fife.

:hmm:

babyman said:
I heard that he, Simple Minds's singer Jim Kerr and an other scottish entrepreneur once made an offer to buy Celtic Glasgow...........don't know if it's true. But he's definitely a Celtic sympathizer, it was once known
it is true that Jim supports celtic

babyman said:
Jim Kerr definitely made an attempt to buy Celtic. I don't recall Bono being involved, but since he and Jim are old rock buddies, maybe Bono was involved too.

On a related note, I once wore a Newcastle shirt to a Sting concert, and Sting noticed and gave a wave!!!!

You know, thinking about it, I think I wore a Celtic shirt to U2's concert in Indianapolis back in 2001, but I'm not sure that it had anything to do with Bono.

Bono sed on cd-uk (uk tv music prog) back in 2001 something along the lines of...being at the top is like playing for Manchester Utd and sometimes you wanna raise the game further and become glasgow celtic.
Bono was allegedly involved in a takeover bid many years back for celtic with jim kerr and others.
There are probably more Celtic fans in ireland than any other team. Thats where celtics beginings lye. Its an identity thing

Last edited:
Maybe its just the north of ireland and scotland that this applies to, but doesnt, like one side of the house support celtic and the other supports rangers? Would it not be a bit risky with the rangers fans if he came out and said that he supported celtic?

i don't know why people even bother with sports. its a waste of time, energy, money, brain cells, and i think is some mass consciousness governmental conspiracy to fuck up the minds of the public.

as a guy, i dislike sports a lot.
some find it odd. some get very angry at me. which again, proves my point.

i just don't get sports.

its kind of sad to see bono, or jim kerr involved in such things. but i'll let it slide for now. :wink:

at least they don't seem to let it take over their lives. thank god.

This google thing is awesome, yes?

http://www.nme.com/news/bono/256
28.April.1998

BONO JUDGES JIM KERR OFFSIDE ON CELTIC SHOWBIZ CONSORTIUM
Bono denies involvement with Simple Minds' JIM KERR in a consortium to invest in Glasgow Celtic Football Club...

Bono has denied he is involved with Simple Minds singer JIM KERR in a consortium seeking to gain control of current Scottish Premier League champions and Scottish Cup finalists Glasgow Celtic Football Club.

"It's rubbish," the U2 singer (pictured) says. "I've been to a couple of games and I'm a fan, but I've got no financial connections."

A report in The Scottish Daily Record on Monday, May 25, quotes Kerr as saying he had joined a consortium led by local property magnate and former Celtic board member Brian Dempsey and would use his "huge influence" on the music industry to attract celebrity investors to the club. He claimed that Bono was interested along with Rod Stewart and comedian Billy Connolly.

Despite reports that Kerr will be investing '10 million and that his current net worth is around '40 million, some Scottish football insiders are more cynical. "It's a middle aged guy's idea of lending credibility to his bid. He doesn't carry much weight in Scotland or anywhere else," an informed commentator told NME.

"Rod Stewart and Billy Connolly both have seats at Parkhead (the Celtic home ground) and have opened stands here. Now they're talking about Kerr putting up '10 million, but it's doubtful that he could come up with money like that these days," the commentator added.

Jim Kerr, who owns homes in Nice and Dublin as well as a 20-room mansion in Perthshire that entitles him to be known as the Laird Of Ardchullaire has also been co-opted as an advisor to the government's music industry forum in Scotland.

Yeah i was through the roof when i found out Bono supported the same team i do. I already thought as highly of the man as possible beforehand, so now i dont really know how to think any higher of him.

The greatest singer in the world of the biggest band in the world supporting the biggest and best team in the world.

Hail Hail the Celts are here.

I have wore my hoops to every u2 concert I have been at.

On another note. There is a Rangers fan who works for u2.
he verbally abused myself & my wife at the Staples center for the Elevation tour. He threatened to stop me from getting into the concertas well. Normally I would have kicked his baws but there was no way I was going to risk not getting in.

Don't worry, Rangers will go down in flames against Villareal. They're down 17 points to Celtic!!! :lmao:

It's ALL disturbing. I hate them both, the whole thing surrounding the games... Bah. Football, who even cares.

cleazer said:
Don't worry, Rangers will go down in flames against Villareal. They're down 17 points to Celtic!!! :lmao:

they are 4th in the league:wave:

Villareal have their own Celtic supporters club.

Hail Hail

Meh.

Nah it's just rubbish how you have to watch what you wear in Glasgow in case someone thinks you support the wrong team and decides to stab you.

chickadee said:
Meh.

Nah it's just rubbish how you have to watch what you wear in Glasgow in case someone thinks you support the wrong team and decides to stab you.

Im sorry but its the Celtic fans who have to watch what they wear.

financeguy said:

There's sectarianism on both sides from what I have been told.

Thats what the Scottish press would have you beLIEve. They always tar us with same brush.
You get idiots on both sides of course just like any support.
When the word sectarian is used in Scotland they think it means "anti catholic or anti prod"
Celtic fans dont sing any songs that are anti protestant. The other mob on the other hand, thats a different story.

Back
Top Bottom