Bono in his prime: rank him amongst rock singers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I realize that "in his prime" is a matter of opinion, and many here would say he's still in his prime. I think he still sounds great, and this is not to take away any of his current ability.
however for me, Bono was in his prime between 1985 and 1993 vocally. I'll tell you a story:
I had the opportunity once to be at a party with several very accomplished opera singers. I decided to comandere the stereo and put on WOWY. I asked the singers to put on their musician hats for a minute and listen to the vocals only. they did. all were very, very impressed, not only with the vocal range, but also the delivery. they had nothing but praise, and one was even taken aback.
now, to me there have been many great great singers in rock and roll. starting with elvis, through to morrison and plant, jagger, mercury...the list goes on.
I'll say though imo that Bono in his prime was untouchable by any rock singer before or since.

well, he's not a personal favorite, but I think the general public would name him.

actually, I love Seal.

Here's a list of everything all these "compare U2 to [anyone not in U2]" threads have ever proven:
  • People here really like U2.
  • People here really like Radiohead.
  • People here really dislike Coldplay.
  • Everything else is overrated.
This thread is already more of the same.

namkcuR said:
Why in God's name is Jagger in your list?

My gawd I agree, that is one of the most atrocious "singers" ever. Give me Keef any time.

As to Bono, I actually think he is sounding better at the moment than he possibly ever has. I can't imagine an earlier Bono so confidently nailing, night after night, the operatic parts in Miss Sarajevo (which he does in an astounding fashion) or even SYCMIOYO. He's in very strong voice at the moment, and I can't think of any other rock or pop singer with his combination of range, power and emotional expression. I would say that he, like Jean Brodie, is clearly in his "Prime".

:lol: typhoon! You could have also ended with:

- The Beatles are overrated.

(of course not MY opinion)

MrBrau1 said:

"Exile On Main Street"
"Sticky Fingers"

You don't make the 2 best albums in rock history w/o a great singer.

Jagger is NOT a good singer at all. The Rolling Stones are relatively talentless and have minimal artistic talent. Those two records are far from being the best. No way do they top Abbey Road or Revolver, or Dark Side Of The Moon or Wish You Were Here, or LZIII or ZOSO or Physical Graffiti, or OK Computer or Kid A, or Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, or a host of others.

He does some nice wailing at the end of their cover of "Love In Vain." I also can't imagine anyone else sounding so simultaneously tired and impassioned as he does on "Moonlight Mile."

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

Jagger is NOT a good singer at all. The Rolling Stones are relatively talentless and have minimal artistic talent. Those two records are far from being the best. No way do they top Abbey Road or Revolver, or Dark Side Of The Moon or Wish You Were Here, or LZIII or ZOSO or Physical Graffiti, or OK Computer or Kid A, or Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, or a host of others.

As much as I think what you're saying is all subjective and just opinion, I do agree with most of it esp. the comparison with other classic albums. I find the Rolling Stones boring. Maybe it's because they overplay the most boring Stones songs ever on the radio.. like Beast of Burden, Miss You and Shattered.

namkcuR said:

Someone needs to buy Exile and Sticky. Singing is much more than how many high notes you hit.

Thank me later.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

Someone needs to buy Exile and Sticky. Singing is much more than how many high notes you hit.

Thank me later.

Don't condescend to me about what singing is. I can and do appreciate many different kinds of singing, and regardless of what kind of singing Jagger does, he doesn't do it well.

namkcuR said:

Jagger is NOT a good singer at all. The Rolling Stones are relatively talentless and have minimal artistic talent.
Wow, couldn’t disagree more. :|

Mick Jagger is in my opinion one of the best singers ever. His voice is great, he CAN hit all the notes, high and low but most importantly he has a rock n' roll vibe and intensity in his voice that is very hard to beat. He has roots in R&B and soul, where some of the best singers came from. Like Mr. Brau said, it's not just about the notes. It's how well you get the feeling of the song across and in my opinion very few do that as good as Jagger has been doing in the last forty years. Plus the man is an enormous talent to come up with melodies and different approaches to songs.

In his prime Bono was great yeah. But I think people like Chris Cornell and Jeff Buckley were a notch ahead of him though. I don't think Cornell is in his prime anymore, though it's hard to tell sometimes.

david said:
In his prime Bono was great yeah. But I think people like Chris Cornell and Jeff Buckley were a notch ahead of him though. I don't think Cornell is in his prime anymore, though it's hard to tell sometimes.

Problem is Cornell could never pull it off live.

Buckley by far probably beats them all, but unfortunately never peaked as a writer.

Jimmy Gnecco of OURS has quite possibly the best voice I've ever heard. Too bad he's too indie to be noticed. Seriously. I'd describe him as a mix between Bono from the mid-to-late 80s, Freddie Mercury, and Jeff Buckley. (listen to their song "Sometimes")

TheBrazilianFly said:

Wow, couldn’t disagree more. :|

Mick Jagger is in my opinion one of the best singers ever. His voice is great, he CAN hit all the notes, high and low but most importantly he has a rock n' roll vibe and intensity in his voice that is very hard to beat.

:lmao: Yeah, and Bob Dylan's right up there with him.

typhoon said:
Here's a list of everything all these "compare U2 to [anyone not in U2]" threads have ever proven:
  • People here really like U2.
  • People here really like Radiohead.
  • People here really dislike Coldplay.
  • Everything else is overrated.
This thread is already more of the same.

That is like, totally right...chaaa!

*Bono is still in his prime, because his current occasional raspiness is very rock and roll, don't ya think? Plus, he can still do the girly-angel-boy thing like nobody's business when the night is going well.

*Thom Yorke's voice can be like an angel or a devil, and incredibly, it can be both in the same song (ahem, angel or devil...) :wink:

*Chris Martin should be making William Shatner-style albums with Ben Folds...I'll say no more.

*Everything else is overrated...except for Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam...his voice is pure rock potency at its finest.

Hmm....My top singers ever list goes something like
1. Freddie Mercury 1975-1982
2. Bono 1989-1993
3. Liam Gallagher 1995-1998

... so he's second, in my mind.

Bono's ranked top three in the best rock singers ever....
You have Freddy Mercury and of course the King Elvis Presley up there

Comparing current singers with their current voices in the Rock/Pop genres, I can't think of anyone that can touch Bono's range, power, and delivery (and his wide range of deliveries). If a proper bootleg of one of the Chicago shows would ever show up, you'd see that :)

Bono is waaaaay up there

I LIKE COLDPLAY very much, Chris Maritin is much better than a lot of singers

and did someone say BEATLES overrated? wow i don't believe that is true, they are just so amazing

Altho there is obviously quite a wide range of feelings as to whether Bono's voice is currently in its prime, I will comment that I feel his voice has improved and matured over the years. I agree with Gorman :bow: I can't wait for the boots of the Chicao shows to prove this is so.

angelordevil said:
*Everything else is overrated...except for Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam...his voice is pure rock potency at its finest.
I forgot:

During tour: Pearl Jam is the best band ever, U2 should be more like them.

Between tours: Pearl Jam is overrated, their last good album was Vitalogy.

Depends how you decide if someone is a good singer.

Roy Orbison is, technically, a brilliant singer, better than Bono. Freddie Mercury was pretty damn good too.

In terms of swagger- theres Elvis, Jagger, Van The Man and Jim, Neil Diamond, etc. I put early wailing (Unforgettable Fireish) Bono in this category. Bono had a style that was original, passionate, serious and sexy.

Back
Top Bottom