Bono + Iggy Pop + Marilyn Manson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyJB

Refugee
In the 'U2 Into the Heart' book by Niall Stokes, there is a reference in the year-by-year section to a MTV Europe Awards show in Dublin, where apparentely Bono joined Iggy Pop and Marilyn Manson on stage to sing.

Does anyone have any more info on this? I have to say I would die to see/hear some footage - being a closet Manson fan in my early teens :huh:

I remember a small quip about this in a Rolling Stones mag years ago, from what I remember it was a small venue Bono climbed down from the mezzanine and joined Marilyn Manson(and Iggy Pop) and sang 'Johnny Be Good' I think... They had pics of him climbing down the wall.

wow. that's surprising. I have always wondered what Bono's opinion of Marilyn manson was, but i'd never heard him ever acknoledge him. I have seen a pic of bono and trent reznor having a beer, but this MM connection interests me. Anyone have any other info, pics, or youtube videos regarding it?

from www.u2setlists.com.....

11/11/1999 HQ Club - Dublin, Ireland
Johnny B. Goode, TV Eye
comment: After the MTV Europe Music Awards at the Point Depot, where Bono received the Free Your Mind award for his Jubilee 2000 and NetAid work, Bono attended the afterparty and participated in an impromptu jam session. In one of the more unusual collaborations in U2 history, he performed two songs with Iggy Pop and Marilyn Manson.

wow. that's surprising. I have always wondered what Bono's opinion of Marilyn manson was, but i'd never heard him ever acknoledge him. I have seen a pic of bono and trent reznor having a beer, but this MM connection interests me. Anyone have any other info, pics, or youtube videos regarding it?

How awesome would that footage be??! :lol:

I remember reading in a Marilyn Manson 'quote book' back when I was more of a fan (!) that Bono had said something in the press circa 96/97 when Manson was at his controversial peak and was on the verge of being banned from performing in the UK, that he could tour with U2 as it was an issue of creative freedom. Along with that was a quote from Manson - 'I've met Bono, he's pretty nice - for a Christian!' lol

I'll assume people understand the difference between reality and marketing theatrics as well as the fact that satanism has nothing to do with devil worship..

um ok, I personally think him hanging out with someone like Bush or Helms is more offensive than Marylin Manson but to each his own I guess :shrug:

Really? Because I think Bono's effort to bridge party lines in today's political society is quite admirable.

I think Bono would be aware that Manson is a showman in much the same way that he is himself and hence respect that what they preach ultimately is very different. From what I've seen and read about Manson, he is a very intelligent artist who marketed himself as the devil within American society and was very successful because of it.

Brian Warner was a music journalist who set about creating the anti-rock star; although he has become more of a joke in recent years as the effect wears off and the more chat shows he appears on - but such is life.

"he's pretty cool ...for a Christian"-
Marilyn Manson on Bono

I don't remember what the context was but if I had to guess it was when Bono defended him back during the Columbine shootings.

I remember having seen a picture of Bono climbing down to a stage in some video footage. Don't know who were on stage though. Could have been about the Irish rock 'n' roll hall of fame. The lady who was interviewed said something about Bono being 'very very drunk' when he did that.

In the 'U2 Into the Heart' book by Niall Stokes, there is a reference in the year-by-year section to a MTV Europe Awards show in Dublin, where apparentely Bono joined Iggy Pop and Marilyn Manson on stage to sing.

Does anyone have any more info on this? I have to say I would die to see/hear some footage - being a closet Manson fan in my early teens :huh:

I would like to see it too. I remember Iggy Pop from my teenage days!

Still no picture, but I found this report of the evening:

"It's one of the most remarkable rock 'n' roll sights that Ireland's ever seen. Marilyn Manson entering stage left, and Bono climbing down from the balcony, to join Iggy Pop for a communal demolition of 'Louie Louie'."

Original article is subscription only.
No More Mister Nasty Guy

Google's cache:
No More Mister Nasty Guy

wow thanks for that u2search. i can only imagine iggy pop doing his thing until 'oh christ, here comes bono'. :D I wonder if they hung out and shared a drink together after, i'd just love to overhear a conversation between Bono and Manson.

Now I remember it tho, a friend who was a big Manson and Nine Inch Nails fan told me she read in Manson's autobiography that when Trent Reznor had signed Manson to his label back in 92/93, he had taken him to see U2 in concert when they were in town. I assume that'd be Zoo TV, I don't think any more detail was given.

Ah yeh in that 'No More Mr.Nasty Guy' interview there's that quote I remember reading:

"He is nice…for a Christian," the 32-year-old cackles. "We were getting beat up by the media during the Antichrist Superstar days and Bono made a statement saying that if nobody else would give us gigs, we could tour with U2. Him expressing his support - at a time when it really wasn't cool to do so - meant a lot."

Back
Top Bottom