Bono: "I think there will be a record in 2006."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
From the Rolling Stone interview:

"RS: You've talked about how this album has brought U2 full circle, back to the feeling of empowerment on Boy. Does mean that U2 has an assured future, and that we can expect another album before, say, 2007?

Bono: I think there will be a record in 2006. Because we're on it now. But I don't think it's a healthy state of mind to imagine that this band should go on and on. Everyone in it asks very hard questions about its continuing."

Well, if I remember right we heard this back in 2001 that there would be an album in late 2002/early 2003. We all ended up waiting until late 2004.

I'm skeptical to say the least, though anything's possible. Look at how Zooropa blindsided all of us.

Anyway, here's to hoping...

I think they just need to discard any commercial notions, no second-guessing, fretting over sonic perfection etc and just bang out a quick, rough rock and roll album, 10 songs 35 mins long maybe and release it to extend the HTDAAB tour...

I'm sure there will be lots of records (well, cds) in 2006...just not U2 ones. :huh:

I have a feeling it could happen in 2006. There was Rattle and Hum after The Joshua tree in late 88. I think someone said about Zooropa after Achtung Baby.:wink:

i believe could be an album in 2006... just like zooropa and rattle and hum... u2 has too much demos... they have worked for 2-3 years in this new album and , i think , in 4-5 months they could work again on unfinished songs and make the album

there's a better chance of seeing a 3 legged ballerina than a new u2 album in 2006.

raphatrind said:
i believe could be an album in 2006... just like zooropa and rattle and hum... u2 has too much demos... they have worked for 2-3 years in this new album and , i think , in 4-5 months they could work again on unfinished songs and make the album

They may have the material but the amount of material was never the problem for the group it seems. HTDAAB and other albums have shown that the reason why U2 seems to be taking so much time these days is that they go in too many different directions while recording. Supposedly they had an album near ready or complete but scrapped it a year before... and pretty much sent Chris Thomas packing to boot (or he was fairly frustrated with the group that he left). Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite have all pointed out that the group has an abundance of ideas and directions causing the album-making process to slow down.

So even if Bono claims 25 songs still around... that is no guarantee of anything. I think Bono made a similar claim for ATYCLB in that the ATYCLB sessions produced a buttload of songs not released and look where it got them/ us. 4 plus years of waiting.

Last edited:
I think it's important to remember, U2 only has two albums left on their 5-album contract they signed after Zooropa (all talks presume Passengers did not count on the contract). I would guess we get another album in 2006, that they work on while on tour or immediatley after to capture the great spirit they're in. And the final album in 2008/9 or so.

It makes me sad to know they will stop - but it is inevitable.

Wasn't that a 6 record contract signed before Zooropa came out? If it was the first album of that deal it's

That would mean Zooropa-Pop-ATYCLB-HTDAAB + 2 more
(I don't know if Passengers count, it wasn't released under the name U2 but all members participated)

Nope, Zooropa completed their contract obligations with Island in 1993.

But I was wrong - the new deal was six albums (pg 239 of of Flanagan's book). So Pop, ATYCLB, HTDAAB - that leaves three albums left, two if Passengers counted.

Album contracts don't really matter, at least not when you are as big as U2. They could easily do another album with a one-off contract, or break their contract early, they may be penalized but I am sure they could afford it or work out some deal (live stuff, unreleased stuff). The bottom line is all that matters is how many more albums they want to do.

riteshbhatt1 said:

So you're me telling me there's a chance...Alright!

You realize, of course, that if there's a new album in 2006, most likely it'll sound a lot like ATYCLB and HTDAAB. It'll probably contain songs first worked on in those eras, as U2 wouldn't have had enough time to "dream it all up again" (due to the tour).

Hopefully, this won't cause all the ATYCLB and HTDAAB haters to return en masse to the forums complaining yet again about the "new U2".

Of course, as I like this era very much, I hope U2 do release an album in 2006 with a their "fine-tuned leftovers". I'm sure it'll be brilliant!

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
Hopefully, this won't cause all the ATYCLB and HTDAAB haters to return en masse to the forums complaining yet again about the "new U2".

Of course it will. :|

And, if U2 somehow managed to change direction again before a 2006 release, there will probably be an equal amount of posters complaining about that. :wink:

Can't we ride the high of getting this album before we start getting ready for the next one. Let them tour first.

Truthfully he said it and he's right, they can't go on forever and they deserve the right to not have to. I will hate that day as much as any fan would be it is inevitable regardless of who is the first to "walk on".

TheWanderer said:
Nope, Zooropa completed their contract obligations with Island in 1993.

But I was wrong - the new deal was six albums (pg 239 of of Flanagan's book). So Pop, ATYCLB, HTDAAB - that leaves three albums left, two if Passengers counted.

I don't think passaengers counts, but I think the best of's do.

I thought the Best-of's has their own contract. I think U2 owes three total best-of albums in that contract. Seperate from the album contract though I'm sure.

Given their recent history of album releases. 2006 is very optimistic. I am thinking of a greatest hits Live album as their 3rd installment that are contracted to deliver the label. 25 years of greatest hits live.

About time they release a decent live album. UABRS was a mini LP and R & H was a mixture of live and new stuff.

Lancemc said:
I thought the Best-of's has their own contract. I think U2 owes three total best-of albums in that contract. Seperate from the album contract though I'm sure.

yeah i dunno.:shrug:

someone call mcguiness.

Lancemc said:

:yes:
They have a separete contract for the third Best of, which is another argument for speeding up with the music; the last Best of had 3 full albums to pick from (and 2 songs from Passengers and ATYCLB), and this one has two songs from ATYCLB (and maybe Ground beneath her feet and Stateless), 3/4 songs from HTDAAB and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom