Bono Headlining American Idol Charity Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
chrissybaby said:

I have to say that i kind of agree here. Most great albums throughout the modern times have taken place in an environment cut off from the outside world. I am a huge Bowie and Iggy Pop fan and their records from the 70's are exceptional because they existed in their own world, creating their own world. I feel that U2 did something similar with all their albums up to ATYCLB. I accept that they're older, so what?

Also, I don't care if Bono doesn't care whether I think he's cool or not... It's hardly the point. Bono used to talk about U2 having the smartest audience in the world, I think that means having all of your critical faculties in tact and not thinking every move they make is godlike. I'm not Bono's friend and never will be, I don't want him to know me, recognise me or talk to me. But I reserve the right to have an opinion...

Yes, that might be accurate for other artists, but I don't see it being necessarily accurate for Bono and U2. Bono has clearly stated that he gets most of the inspiration from travelling and that he's always writing when he's doing the rounds, even if it's for political reasons. I guess not all artists and bands need to be "cut off" from the outside world, and certainly not U2. Why? Because as a band, they've always dealt with problems of the "outside" world and U2 IS part of this world and working on it. Bono seems to draw a lot from his political work, I can understand that. Take that away from him and he's only half the person he is.

CTU2fan said:

Oh come on. He's going to record a 2 minute blurb for AI, he might not even physically be there. If you truly honestly think that this AI appearance will effect when the album comes out...well then there's really no point discussing it further, it's so ludicrous.

That 2 minute blurb will put the album on hold till 2011. That's confirmed.

last unicorn said:

Yes, that might be accurate for other artists, but I don't see it being necessarily accurate for Bono and U2. Bono has clearly stated that he gets most of the inspiration from travelling and that he's always writing when he's doing the rounds, even if it's for political reasons. I guess not all artists and bands need to be "cut off" from the outside world, and certainly not U2. Why? Because as a band, they've always dealt with problems of the "outside" world and U2 IS part of this world and working on it. Bono seems to draw a lot from his political work, I can understand that. Take that away from him and he's only half the person he is.

I don't necessarily buy this "Bono needs to know about politics and poverty to write theory". With The Joshua Tree he went to Ethiopia with Ali, and spent much time touring in the US, granted. But with AB and Pop, I don't think so. Very poetic and introspective albums IMO, dealing with universal truths of the human condition rather than the inequality of the world. I want that poetic and introspection back from Bono, just one last time....

blueeyedgirl said:

That's a sad indictment on US society, which is a thread for FYM I s'pose. I'm glad I don't live there, or watch American Idol. At least I don't have to see Bono "sell out" . :wink:

p.s. minors (17 and under) can vote for american idol, whereas they can't vote in a presidential election.

Last edited:
chrissybaby said:

I don't necessarily buy this "Bono needs to know about politics and poverty to write theory". With The Joshua Tree he went to Ethiopia with Ali, and spent much time touring in the US, granted. But with AB and Pop, I don't think so. Very poetic and introspective albums IMO, dealing with universal truths of the human condition rather than the inequality of the world. I want that poetic and introspection back from Bono, just one last time....

Why is anyone speculating on what environment is best for Bono's writing? :huh: No one knows what's best for Bono except him. And the last two albums have had just as much introspection as AB and Pop, in fact Pop didn't have much introspection at all compared to other albums. Bono tried a more direct way of writing the last two albums, he's already made quite a few hints saying he's approaching lyrics differently with this album... so why not just wait and see what happens? Speculating isn't worth the time...

blueeyedgirl said:

That's a sad indictment on US society, which is a thread for FYM I s'pose. I'm glad I don't live there, or watch American Idol. At least I don't have to see Bono "sell out" . :wink:

It's hardly the same though.

When you vote for someone on American Idol
1. There's no age limit
2. You can vote as many times as you want

chrissybaby said:

In recent years Bono has been often quoted as saying that the travelling and political work is important for him to be creative. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy to me who can be locked into a room to come up with something. I know some fans would like to lock him in and force him to write stuff they consider right for him. Whatever route he choses to take is fine for me. I'd be much more interested to have open lyrics from him again dealing with social and political problems, as well as emotional stuff. We know that U2 is a band who can combine both and most of their lyrics do have different layers of meanings.

Since we can only speculate about the environment they need to be creative, there's no use in discussing that. They have 30+ years of experience, unlike most of us, so let's let them do what they want and need to do.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That 2 minute blurb will put the album on hold till 2011. That's confirmed.

Surely Paul McGuinness is to blame.

Maybe it's me, but I'm more than comfortable waiting a few extra weeks/months for the next album if the trade off is some poor kids get to eat tonight and go to school tomorrow. Guess it's just the bleeding-heart liberal in me talking.

anyone notice SYCMIOYO during the "Idol Gives Back" clip they flashed to during the show today? It was perfect :)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Why is anyone speculating on what environment is best for Bono's writing?

Because some people here miss the depth of the lyrics, Bono was able to write – when he created with his mates masterpieces like "The Joshua Tree" or "Achtung Baby". His 'direct way' of songwriting doesn't stand up the quality and talent, he showed in the late 80ies and early 90ies.
"You can't kill poetry", Bono said after having performed the awesome "One Tree Hill" in 2006. Hopefully we'll see the poet shine again on the next album, at least for one last time ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Because some people here miss the depth of the lyrics, Bono was able to write – when he created with his mates masterpieces like "The Joshua Tree" or "Achtung Baby". His 'direct way' of songwriting doesn't stand up the quality and talent, he showed in the late 80ies and early 90ies.
"You can't kill poetry", Bono said after having performed the awesome "One Tree Hill" in 2006. Hopefully we'll see the poet shine again on the next album, at least for one last time ...

I think we will, I understand what you're saying...Lanois speaks of a new lyrical charge and angle and I believe him, it would only make sense, if we're getting a different sound...what's with that last part though?? :eyebrow:

I don't think HTDAAB was particularly strong lyrically, but I don't think U2 has released a really lyrically strong album since AB so I'm thinking what you see is what you get at this point.

Back
Top Bottom