bono - guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Des someone know of song where bono has played guitar on songs on album

i mean bono is supposed to play guitar .. has he played guitar on any song on the album..if yes..if you can give me the time between which bono plays... that would be great

Like 3.45 - 3.57 of XYZ song - guitar played by bono.

Curious ! What about Yorke ?

- Acrobatman

I don't understand the question...are you asking which songs he plays on?

He plays for a lot, or rather, holds the guitar for a lot of live songs. I usually assume that he doesn't play these same parts on the album. I don't play guitar, so maybe I'm stupid, but I always figured that since Edge is the better guitar player, he plays most of the parts on the albums.

Last edited:
I definitely know he plays on A Day Without Me because I remember the tablature for that had two parts. Can't remember what others feature Bono on guitar, though.

I remember an interview in which Clayton said one of his favourite U2 moments was when Bono played the guitar solo in "Dancing Barefoot".

Funny how Bono's got his hands on a guitar alot on stage, but when he strums it, you don't hear any added chords coming out of the speakers... maybe this is just me... maybe it is just bad mixing on live recordings (I haven't been to a U2 concert since 1987)... or maybe it's like Adam singing backup vocals };)~

much love

goat

}:)~

rivergoat said:
Funny how Bono's got his hands on a guitar alot on stage, but when he strums it, you don't hear any added chords coming out of the speakers... maybe this is just me... maybe it is just bad mixing on live recordings

or maybe he plays, but is not plugged in? Maybe he just uses the guitar to stay focused and have something to do besides standing there?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

or maybe he plays, but is not plugged in? Maybe he just uses the guitar to stay focused and have something to do besides standing there?

:yes: :lol:

I've noticed this, too. Sometimes he just holds onto it through the whole song and never strums it. Curious fellow.

Kite is one I know for sure :)
and One also but I also have the imprssion you don't always hear it :huh:

I think best Bono's guitar has to be on Staring at the Sun, Live (Mexico). He does this little intro with a touch of spanish flavour. I still can't believe that Bono can play something like that.

For curious types check out his collaboration with Wycleaf Jean on New Day. He plays a 15 sec solo which is rather good. (By Bono's standards ofcourse)

I think Bono plays guitar just because its stated in his rock star manual, its a shame though after so many years he.... well he is Bono

Unfortunately, I doubt Bono plays on much of the studio recordings, if any at all. Even if there are two guitars its very likely that it's Edge recording both of them separately. Bono is a signer and a songwriter and has enough to do with those responsibilties. I'm not saying he's NEVER recorded guitar on a studio track, but it would surprise me.

As far as his live performances go, I just don't get it. As some have pointed out, he'll often just get up there and hold a guitar without ever playing it...maybe because it looks good? Some times he will be strumming proper chords, but you can't hear them at all (or can barely hear them). One thing is certain though, this is done intentionally, and whoever is at the mixing board has him turned down for a reason. And then sometimes he surprises me by actually playing something that I would suspect Edge should take care of (Staring at the Sun intro riff for example). Bono and the guitar are a very confusing pair...

I'd imagine it's hard to actually hear an acoustic guitar live next to bass, drums and electric guitar and who-knows how many effects.

For albums, I'm guessing he plays acoustic guitar, for example One, Walk on, Kite, All I want is you ...

On the Slane dvd he's playing on Kite quite well, or it's the most perfect timing my untrained eyes/ears can distinguish. He just gets so into singing the songs/lyrics. It would have to be extremely difficult to do both at the supreme level they do. I often wonder how Adam and Larry can keep themselves from breaking into the songs. The focus is so intense on what each of them do and that is what makes them so great...est. IMHO

I believe he plays for the recordings also.
On the making of JT, Danny is playing different parts of the mix and tells Bono a particular part is his guitar.

Back
Top Bottom