Bono gets a visit from the hair fairy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atikicat

War Child
Saw this photo from Slane recently. Is that some sort of rug/hair weave Bono's sporting?

bonosl.jpg

I've been wondering why his hair seems a little fuller these days. He seems to have more on top than he did 10 years ago. Case in point...a photo from the ZooTV tour.

bonomd.jpg

Not that something like this would bother me, but the question is....how long, for the sake of rock'n'roll, can/should Bono keep up appearances? At what point does it become a bit ridiculous? I remember Larry bringing up this issue in a recent interview...how U2 should handle aging gracefully as rockstars. I think they're doing a great job so far, which is probably why they get tagged with the "old guys" reference. For the most part, they look and act their age, unlike other rockstars who are even older. Mick Jagger still prances around in satin pants and knocks-up 20 year-old supermodels, while Bono's lobbying Capitol Hill and knocking-up his wife of 20 years. I think that's cool.

I don't know either, but I did start noticing something strange with Bono's hair during the Much Music interview U2 did after the Toronto show. Also in some recent photos, but none quite so telling as this one from Slane. Point is, does it matter? Isn't Bono still "Bono" if he actually looks more like his brother Norman(more than we'll probably ever know)? Is hair that important?

we discussed this at PLEBA. i think his hairline has receeded, and he may use rogaine, but i don't think it's a weave. just a notion.
wink.gif

------------------
?Hard as it is to keep it together, it is still possible to have those moments when it?s just the four of you being able to keep the rest of the world out... and that?s what it?s all about.?
-Adam

Love,
Emily

She's gonna dream out loud...

Don't most guys wear a "rug" after age 40? A little Hair Club for men thingie? The back of his hair sort of sticks out funny sometimes, like the rug gets pushed up when he sweats. I love him, and he can do an Andre Agassi, its ok he can still be a cutie-pie. They keep saying they are finding the cure for baldness, and his hair during Joshua Tree was so beautiful. This is now making me take such a better look at all the rock stars, like does Mick Jagger have a hair piece? (speaking of which when he was sitting with Britney Spears at MTV preshow it was kinda creepy). How about Steven Tyler? I remember reading an article once about how aging rock star guys get a whole weave. U2 is actually doing a great job aging compared to for instance Steven Stills and David Crosby. Forgot to put, when you look at those recent photos it looks like a little something is sitting on top of his head, and the first photo at Slane up there, even looks like it got pushed back a bit.

[This message has been edited by Nick Carter's Angel (edited 09-22-2001).]

Originally posted by Nick Carter's Angel:
U2 is actually doing a great job aging compared to for instance Steven Stills and David Crosby.

I think there's a pretty good reason for that: some rock stars had even more fun than Bono has had at their job.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

I don't care about Bono's hair (despite the fact that I'm bizarrely posting twice in this thread), but if he were wearing a hair piece, he would not be able to run his fingers through his hair, as he does NUMEROUS times during concert. Even the best hair piece wouldn't allow that.

As for Rogaine, that might cover a thinning spot in back, but it will not work on a receding hairline. Also, it has very limited results - for most men, it just stops hair loss, but it doesn't grow it back.

When I look at that AB era picture I posted above, you can already see that his hairline has receded slightly. Add 10 years and it's receded just a tiny bit more. For a man of 41, I think he has a great head of hair. I'm sure Moby would love to have the minimal hairloss that Bono has.
wink.gif

Egad...another post in this thread. But this one might answer a few questions. I stole the pic below from another thread.
biggrin.gif

This a pic of Bono from an interview before the release of ATYCLB. All he really did since this time is get a hair style such that his hair falls on his forehead.

As you can see from the pic, there's no way he has a hairpiece - it would be impossible for him to comb his hair back like below if he wore a hair piece. In other words, chalk up the interesting "looks" to his hair stylist (or at times, the lack thereof).

bono_al_computer.jpg

Bono's hair looks fuller simply because he's not weighing it down with gels and greases anymore. I guess he's going for a more natural look.

The only thing that has really changed about him is that his hairline has reeced a lot since Zoo TV.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

You mean those Hair Club for Men ads were lying? You can't run your fingers through it or go swimming?
wink.gif
Seriously, I didn't notice this "thing" on Bono's head in the pre-ATYCLB days when he slicked his hair back with gels and greases like above(neat trick of the balding man's trade...ask brother and my dad). It would seem, however, that he's getting a little extra help in the hair department these days.

Hey, Keith Richards has had more "fun" than most, but he still has his hair...or does he???
confused.gif

Well... the reason I'm sticking up for Bono's follicles is because one of my friends deals with hair pieces. She's a trained hair stylist and does normal haircuts, perms, etc. She also runs her own business in this other area. She helps women too - but most of her clientele are men. And she's showed me all the "tricks." This is why I know Bono's not sporting a toupee.
smile.gif

If you look at Bono's hairline in the last pic I posted, clearly you can see it's his own hair - and that while it may have receded somewhat, it's not substantial (for those of you who think it's receded a lot, please see Nic Cage - that's a receding hairline).

Isn't it amazing how much music fans' discussion is devoted to the artist(s)' hair? I just visited some Pearl Jam board and everyone was going on about Eddie and his missing locks at the Telethon last night,
smile.gif

I know this question is not related to this topic, but it is related to opne of the pics above, does anyone know who the pallbearers were with Bono for his dad? Specifically who was across from him with their arm around his shoulder, that is so sweet, or maybe that is the way you carry a casket? Is it standard to brace yourself on the shoulder of the person across from you? Sorry for the sad question.

------------------
You put on the leather pants and the pants start telling you what to do. -Bono

Originally posted by Nick Carter's Angel:
Don't most guys wear a "rug" after age 40? A little Hair Club for men thingie?

What? Jeez!
My husband is almost 40 and has a very full head of thick hair. Most of my male friends are 40, and most of them have their hair, don't wear rugs, hair club plugs, or are bald. Jeez. 40 is not dead, guys! I mean, man, my Dad is 60 and still has all his hair!

These topics drive me nuts. The man is 40 for crying out loud, not 80!

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Just thought I'd add my two cents here. Most of the men on my dad's side of the family have hair very similar to bono's in thickness color etc, and most all of them have as much at 50 as they did at 20. Hell even at 22 mine does weird poofy things in the back and looks odd occasionally. It happens. It's called having thick unruly hair. I think personally the topic should be closed for another 10 years or so. XOXOXO

I know for sure it's not a rug, I had the great honor of running my hand through his hair.

Like someone else said, it's just all in the amount of gel he has in them. I think he still has great hair! Beautiful even!

Just thought I'd add my two cents here. Most of the men on my dad's side of the family have hair very similar to bono's in thickness color etc, and most all of them have as much at 50 as they did at 20.

So...most of the men in your family color their hair too?
wink.gif
You're right though, it is a hereditary thing. Runs in the family. Look at the Bridges(Jeff...in his 50s, Beau...in his 60s and their late father Llyod). Don't see this in the Hewson men. Again, the topic isn't really whether Bono does or doesn't. It's whether he should. Is it neccesary? I say no. Consider the topic officially closed.

Here's what I think: Bono IS losing his hair, but unlike any of the other band members, Bono is kinda look upon as the leader, right? Traditionally, the leader of a rock band has a certain imagine (good body, attractive in a unique way, and GOOD HAIR). Exceptions may include Michael Stipe or Moby or even those dudes from Midnight Fire and Pantera.

Now, because Bono has had GREAT hair for his entire musically career, it might be hard for anyone to imagine him without hair. It would be like if Brad Pitt were to gradually go bald...would he still be the icon he is today. Conversly, someone like The Edge, a righthand man in the band isn't the focus of all the attention. He can go bald, were a hat and nobody really cares, because HEY, he's been balding since the early 1980's.

That being said, I think that Bono doesn't wear a wig as of today, but I DO forsee him getting hairplugs, toupees, or weaves in the future. His father was bald, Bono will be bald. He knows this, as do U2's media consultants. Image counts a helluva lot in Rock Music and Bono is all about image. Then again, he may surprise us and start shaving his head ala yours truly, Ander Agassi, Peter Gabriel, Michael Stipe. I think it would look grand.

I could care less about anyone's hair...as long as it isn't nappy and gross, so I think Bono would be just as charismatic without the locks as he has been with them

Originally posted by Diemen:
LOL - I just got an evil thought...

Bono can't go bald! Gypsy would never forgive him!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

A discussion something like this broke out on PLEBA recently, and it was stopped cold by Melissa,(Melpop) who testified that as she 'rolled' in Montreal she played all in his hair and she reported it to be "100% real" and "gorgeous!" She is the voice of experience, no one else here has actually played with his hair (SIGH! MY DREAM!) so hers should be the final word! She knows!
smile.gif

As for all men at 40 wearing a 'rug'- my husband is 40 and not only has a full head of hair, but it's very long, like Ted Nugent's! (Yes, I like long hair, I admit his is extreme but better too much than too little I say) It's not the least bit thin either. My brothers have never lost a bit of their hair, but many of their friends lost it young. It's hereditary, and it doesn't happen to everyone. No, I don't hold it against a guy for going bald, he can't help that and not everyone can afford treatments. However, there is no excuse for shaving off a perfectly good and beautiful head of hair. That is the difference!

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

You can clearly see here that Bono's Dad was NOT bald, as someone said he was, and neither is his brother Norman, or Bono himself. Besides, it's hereditary on the mother's side of the family, not the father's. This is a good picture.

33244%3B%3B923232%7Ffp33%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A94%3D599%3DXROQDF%3E2323267477946ot1lsi

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 09-23-2001).]

Well, Bono already cut his hair VERY short and shaved his head during the POPMart era. A completely bald Bono didn't look good - but at times his short hair did (at the K-Mart conference for example). This super short hair is also proof that he hasn't lost his hair.

neccesary?????

Excuse my brain fart, but then this whole thread is somewhat of a brain fart isn't it? Sorry I ever brought it up. I see I've struck a nerve here. Apparently hair does really matter. Thank you. You've answered my question. Next topic.

Back
Top Bottom