Bono doesn't win Nobel Peace Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what? As if he even has a shot at winning it. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle than for Bono to win the nobel peace prize. Bono himself admits that he has a fascination for doing all these good deeds because he himself is the "last person to turn the other cheek." Of course, the fact that he lives so lavishly and spends money without conscience, while all the Africans he is lobbying for are dying is quite a contradiction. But Bono is a self-admitted asshole and egomaniac, so why even bother giving him a peace prize even he himself does not expect? Bono never was, never is, and perhaps never will be a Nobel peace prize contender. `Nuff said.

Cheers,

J

there are millions of people equally deserving, maybe more deserving, maybe less deserving, of the Nobel Peace Prize

bottom line is Peace Prize or not these people are doing their utmost to make this world a better place to live in, and i think that's deserving of respect

Yertle,

Even though you're not from the Netherlands, I fully agree with you. :) From what I've read Shirin Ebadi deserves that prize, because she's also doing worthwhile things.

C ya!

Marty

jick said:
So what? As if he even has a shot at winning it. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle than for Bono to win the nobel peace prize. Bono himself admits that he has a fascination for doing all these good deeds because he himself is the "last person to turn the other cheek." Of course, the fact that he lives so lavishly and spends money without conscience, while all the Africans he is lobbying for are dying is quite a contradiction. But Bono is a self-admitted asshole and egomaniac, so why even bother giving him a peace prize even he himself does not expect? Bono never was, never is, and perhaps never will be a Nobel peace prize contender. `Nuff said.

So now you're into twisting Scripture because you're run out of your own ideas? You've stooped to a new, disturbing low. If you insist on insulting people, fine, but don't use Bible passages to do so. Who are you to judge anyway? What the hell have you EVER done for humanity that give you the right to say something like that?

Jick, I find it ironic that you always have something to say when it comes to Bono and his personal agendas, yet whenever I ASK you a question, you NEVER reply or have anything to say back.

So, for the last time, why the hell are you even here if all you do is badmouth the people we are supposed to be supporting? Are you even a U2 fan? If so, why would you want to be a fan of something if you hated the leader so much? Like I said above, why do you have the right to judge people so harshly?

yertle-the-turtle said:
bottom line is Peace Prize or not these people are doing their utmost to make this world a better place to live in, and i think that's deserving of respect

:yes:. Exactly. Yay for everyone ever nominated or who ever won the award.

A shame Bono didn't win-maybe next year. But congrats to the person who did...they certainly deserved it, from what I read about them. :applaud:.

Also, well said, LivLuv. :up:.

Angela

WHY do people complain about what Bono is doing???? It doesn't make any sense to me! In all honesty, and this is purely my opinion (that which I most likely will get some sort of flack for), what Bono is doing for third-world countries, AIDS and the like, is FAR more important, in the grand scheme of things, than what he does as a musician. And why is that people constantly bring up the point that Bono lives a life in style, a multi-millionaire, living in lavish housing environments and what not, but doesn't seem to give any of his money to these people? First of all, I strongly believe that the B-Man does, indeed, donate to charities, but we simply never hear anything about that. Secondly, what Bono's been involved with is DROP THE DEBT, not PAY THE DEBT. He's trying to get well-to-do nations to, as the title implies, drop the debt other countries owe to them.

Bah, I wrote a paper on this about 2 years ago (got an 'A' :wink: ) and it still annoys me that people feel compelled to knock Bono for trying to help out a little *growls*

EDIT: And YES, I strongly agree with you, yertle! :yes:

Last edited:
It's gonna take a lot of years (10-15+) on this campaign and some visible impact on Africans and the AIDS rate (which has not been gotten yet) for him to come even close to winning a Nobel. I would have been very surprised and disappointed if he HAD gotten one this year b/c it would have been way premature and based on celebrity. Sounds like the woman they did choose was a deserving pick, plus the spotlight this shines and the million $ prize probably would have a greater impact on her cause.

I think Bono's still young, compared to the other nominees (even the Pope had big buzz this year). If Bono continues to do his work for whatever he believes in... I think he still might have a chance, over the next few decades.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

So now you're into twisting Scripture because you're run out of your own ideas? You've stooped to a new, disturbing low. If you insist on insulting people, fine, but don't use Bible passages to do so. Who are you to judge anyway? What the hell have you EVER done for humanity that give you the right to say something like that?

Jick, I find it ironic that you always have something to say when it comes to Bono and his personal agendas, yet whenever I ASK you a question, you NEVER reply or have anything to say back.

So, for the last time, why the hell are you even here if all you do is badmouth the people we are supposed to be supporting? Are you even a U2 fan? If so, why would you want to be a fan of something if you hated the leader so much? Like I said above, why do you have the right to judge people so harshly?

:applaud: well said!

yertle-the-turtle said:
there are millions of people equally deserving, maybe more deserving, maybe less deserving, of the Nobel Peace Prize

that's all :up:

Pop Artist said:
It's gonna take a lot of years (10-15+) on this campaign and some visible impact on Africans and the AIDS rate (which has not been gotten yet) for him to come even close to winning a Nobel. I would have been very surprised and disappointed if he HAD gotten one this year b/c it would have been way premature and based on celebrity. Sounds like the woman they did choose was a deserving pick, plus the spotlight this shines and the million $ prize probably would have a greater impact on her cause.

I agree. If Bono were to win a Nobel prize - and there are a lot of equally deserving people as well - I think it would be best if it happened when he's a little bit older, *hopefully* when Drop the Debt and other campaigns have had some fruitful results.

If he were to receive the prize at this stage I think a lot of people would criticize the choice because, as Pop Artist said, it could be interpreted as being based purely on his celebrity - and that would not be a good thing. Not that I don't think he is deserving, I just feel there are others who maybe have achieved little recognition already for their work, while Bono is well known for what he's done.

jick said:

Cheers,

J
:eyebrow: Yeah, I've seen Jick's comments before, and I, myself have wondered why is he here? He most definitely does not sound like a fan...more of a hater.

I am not insulting Bono. I am just quoting what he said, in that he has a fascination for the good because he said he is bad. The term he used is that he would be the last guy to "offer the other cheek if he was slapped." This is human nature to seek things we don't have. That is why there is the statement "opposites attract" or that a certain couple "compliments each other." Bono has a fascination for the do-gooders because he himself admits he is no do-gooder. I think I gotta find that quote somewhere, but I do assure you it was Bono himself who said this. So a self-admitted bad guy shouldn't even be considered for the nobel prize, should he? I am not judging him harshly, I am just repeating what Bono said about himself and his reasons for doing all this work. As a matter of fact, I am taking Bono's words for what they are, not trying to add anything or judge anything.

Cheers,

J

~*Buffalo*~ said:

I agree. If Bono were to win a Nobel prize - and there are a lot of equally deserving people as well - I think it would be best if it happened when he's a little bit older, *hopefully* when Drop the Debt and other campaigns have had some fruitful results.

If he were to receive the prize at this stage I think a lot of people would criticize the choice because, as Pop Artist said, it could be interpreted as being based purely on his celebrity - and that would not be a good thing. Not that I don't think he is deserving, I just feel there are others who maybe have achieved little recognition already for their work, while Bono is well known for what he's done.

:yes:

....ignoring Jick because he's STILL not answering ANY of my questions....how weak is that? He must just transcribe whatever shit comes out of his ass and then change the subject because he has NO reason or support for any of it. :shrug:

jick said:

I am not insulting Bono. I am just quoting what he said, in that he has a fascination for the good because he said he is bad. The term he used is that he would be the last guy to "offer the other cheek if he was slapped." This is human nature to seek things we don't have. That is why there is the statement "opposites attract" or that a certain couple "compliments each other." Bono has a fascination for the do-gooders because he himself admits he is no do-gooder. I think I gotta find that quote somewhere, but I do assure you it was Bono himself who said this. So a self-admitted bad guy shouldn't even be considered for the nobel prize, should he? I am not judging him harshly, I am just repeating what Bono said about himself and his reasons for doing all this work. As a matter of fact, I am taking Bono's words for what they are, not trying to add anything or judge anything.

Cheers,

J

It seems to me you either completely misunderstood what Bono said or you are deliberately twisting his words. When Bono said he would be the last guy to turn the other cheek if he was slapped, he was simply admitting he has a temper and he's no saint. Who ever said you had to be a perfect human being in order to win a Nobel prize? I thought it was about what you do to improve the world around you.

Bono's shades said:

It seems to me you either completely misunderstood what Bono said or you are deliberately twisting his words. When Bono said he would be the last guy to turn the other cheek if he was slapped, he was simply admitting he has a temper and he's no saint. Who ever said you had to be a perfect human being in order to win a Nobel prize? I thought it was about what you do to improve the world around you.

Well, obviously the person who won it did more to improve the world around him than Bono. But if it's any consolation, I would pick Bono anyday to win the Nobel over George W. Bush or Arnold the terminator.

Cheers,

J

So Bono should just give up because someone out there gave a little extra effort and other people picked him as "better"? Jick, since you seem to be all about practicing what you preach, I'd like to warn you that that philosophy is going to get you big fat nowhere in life.

Moonlit_Angel said:
they certainly deserved it, from what I read about them.
:yes:

for those who think bono was more deserving of the award, i hope it's not because you're a fan of his and because you actually think he's doing good work. because when he's off being the rock star, on tour, passed out drunk in the men's room, the winner of the nobel prize will still be in iran doing peacework.

but that's just my opinion. he certainly deserved to be nominated though and i do think the charity work he's been doing all these years, especially as of late, has been fantastic.

So Bono should just give up because someone out there gave a little extra effort and other people picked him as "better"? Jick, since you seem to be all about practicing what you preach, I'd like to warn you that that philosophy is going to get you big fat nowhere in life.

Where did I ever say Bono should give up? I said many many times in my past posts that Bono's saving the world actions are very good - for the exposure of U2, for the publicity, for the dying children and for massaging Bono's ego. It is a win-win situation, so no way should Bono give up just because he did not win the Nobel Peace Prize, although winning that would have been a big boost for U2's already big popularity and it would have been a good advance promotion for the new album.

Cheers,

J

As far as Bono winning the Nobel maybe his day will come and maybe not is a wonderful award but is just an award and noone should get involved in making the world a better place just to win it!Jick you always seem to know the "real Bono"I guess the rest of us are just hoodwinked huh?Answer that I DARE you!

How do you figure U2 needs any boosts in popularity?
(and how exactly would Bono's activism help there? There's some people who say "I don't like U2" just because of Bono's activism AFAIK, and also some who plainly say "I don't like Bono period, hence I don't care about U2 either")

There are alot of good people out there who merit a Nobel Peace Prize. I think Shirin Ebadi is a very deserving recipient. She's been in jail and put up with all sorts of hassles for fighting for human rights in Iran. There are many good fighters for human rights, including Bono. The group I'm in that builds wells for the needy in Africa would not exist if it weren't for Bono. We wouldn't know wells aren't expensive and it's entirely possible to do this if it weren't for Bono. That being said I'm delighted that a woman from a conservative Islamic society, who has many disadvantages because of her gender, won. I love it when those women get out there and show their government and other people what they're made of! Believe me that is *not* easy or painless. It's very hard.

Jick.........the subject of my UFO stories :silent: :silent: :censored: :censored: ..................U2 doesn't need a damn Nobel Peace Prize to boost their careers. The worth of the new album, the last album, the last tour, has got nothing to do with Bono's activism. The album will be judged on its merit, just like all of their albums are. Nobody buys U2 albums in judgment of Bono's activism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom