Bono doesn't remember WGRYWH lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooper2000

The Fly
Supposidly Bono forgot the lyrics to 'Whos gonna ride your wild horses' and just entirly didn't know the first verse. Good ole' Edge came in and helped him through it, prompting a few quips from Bono :p.

I love that kinda stuff :D

Last edited:
I feel bad for him when that happens:( ...It does not seem to bother him at all though:shrug:

yeah, these are HIS songs, so he can do whathever the f...he wants with them, change them, forget them etc...;)

Nube Gris said:
yeah, these are HIS songs, so he can do whathever the f...he wants with them, change them, forget them etc...;)

I keep reading your screenname as Nude Girls. :reject:

:wink:

You combine a little stage fright, some ADD, and working the stage all at the same time and forgeting lyrics is very easy.

I do it all the time.:reject:

Everyone always gives Bono an excuse to forget the lyrics, but I never hear of any other singers doing it :shrug:

Not to diss Bono, of course he's a real cool guy, but I can remember his lyrics in my sleep. I always find myself subconciously rehearsing them. I really don't know why he forgets.

shart1780 said:
Everyone always gives Bono an excuse to forget the lyrics, but I never hear of any other singers doing it :shrug:

I've seen Vedder forget, I've seen Stipe have to read from a music stand, I've seen many read from teleprompters.

Everyone's brain works differently.

shart1780 said:

Not to diss Bono, of course he's a real cool guy, but I can remember his lyrics in my sleep. I always find myself subconciously rehearsing them. I really don't know why he forgets.

Ever done it in front of 50,000? Didn't think so.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
You combine a little stage fright, some ADD, and working the stage all at the same time and forgeting lyrics is very easy.

I do it all the time.:reject:

stage fright? Bono?

yeah sure! :lol:

shart1780 said:
i too have heard (and sometimes witnessed) singers forgetting song lyrics. it doesn't seem plausible for someone to forget a song they've been singing constantly for, say, 24 years but it happens. :shrug:

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm talking to a really hot girl I sometimes forget my name. Now just imagine a bomb shelter full of them, all willing to throw themselves at you, song lyrics would be the last thing on anybodies mind.

I always always forget the names of the kids I'm babysitting, they become "honey" and "sweetie." lol

Although I think most people here could remember Bono's lyrics better than him. :wink: In any case, all his lyric-forgetting business must mean he doesn't use the teleprompter that's supposedly there...

Sken said:
I don't know about you guys, but if I'm talking to a really hot girl I sometimes forget my name. Now just imagine a bomb shelter full of them, all willing to throw themselves at you, song lyrics would be the last thing on anybodies mind.

:lol: good point :wink:

yeah Bono forgets lyrics all the time, it's rather endearing. :cute: ...I don't know why I find it so cute :huh:

During Elevation he frequently taped the lyrics of songs to the floor. I heard this online, then witnessed it myself first hand. I guess it's better than messing up. I am amazed how rock stars can't remember the words to their own songs, but fans can. He wrote them, he can change them if he wants to. Robert Plant messed up the lyrics to Stairway at the 1988 Atlantic records anniversary reunion.

Yeah singers forget lyrics all the time, probably they think of something else for a moment or something, but it is very common. Eddie Veder on a Pearl Jam show in Mexico City forgot the lyrics to Black, one of their oldest songs that they play at most concerts. I also have bootlegs of Metallica, where James Hetfield is sings "I forgot the fucking words" during the song Ride The Lightning or sings two times the first verse of Fade to Black. It happens a lot. It is not just a problem of Bono.

babyman said:
I think he changes the lyrics of his own free will

He does sometimes, but other times, he totally forgets, re: Walk On on the 20th of this month.

Delta Goodrem forgot lyrics to her songs when she had a few shows earlier in the year.

He changes them a lot, like Streets on Slane. I was enjoying singing it but then he changed them. Same with UTEOTW.

Axver said:

He does sometimes, but other times, he totally forgets, re: Walk On on the 20th of this month.

My first show. :)

Near the end of "Walk On," after telling the audience they hadn't performed the song in awhile, Bono blanked on the lyrics. He had to ask a stagehand to bring him a lyrics sheet so he could finish singing the song. One of the funniest, most endearing things I've ever seen on a concert stage.

I now want to become Bono's music librarian. :wink:

I don't know. It seems like Bono has a lot of other things he's working on and probably doesn't think about his tunes when he's say...talking to the President or something. Not to mention he does have lots of songs to remember. He has been doing this a long long time.

I'll give him a break. :wink:

By the way, this is my first post in EKIW. :hyper:

corianderstem said:
Michael Stipe used a music stand to hold his lyrics during concerts on the Monster tour.

He still uses the music stand. When he came onstage to sing Nightswimming at the Atlanta Coldplay concert, he had them on a stand just off the front of the stage. It's totally a crutch, though - a safety net. I have the stage lyrics for Man on The Moon from the last REM show in Atlanta and there's no way he could actually read what's written on the paper from where he's standing while he's singing unless he has some kind of magnifying contact lenses. It's just a print out in about 10 point font.

Zootlesque said:

Wow, really!!?? That's surprising considering this website is about U2 after all. :wink:

I know...I really was kind of hit or miss with the whole forum thing for a while. I'd be hooked for a while, then gone for a long time, and back and forth. Then I went and camped out for the last Chicago shows and now I'm hooked again b/c I met some people. So now I'm searching around a little more outside Lemonade stand/sports section. :wink: It's kind of exciting!!! haha.

Oh and I figured the Y didn't matter...but fine...ETYKIW. :banghead: Friggin newbie. :)

RocknRollKitty said:
During Elevation he frequently taped the lyrics of songs to the floor. I heard this online, then witnessed it myself first hand.

yeah, I was at the Munich Vertigo show and when he pulled a guy up who wanted to play Party Girl he asked for lyrics and a roadie brought a laminated paper (it was pouring rain) and Bono used that... but he still didn't know how the tune went... Edge had to help him, it was hella funny!

Back
Top Bottom