Bono doesn't remember WGRYWH lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RocknRollKitty said:
During Elevation he frequently taped the lyrics of songs to the floor. I heard this online, then witnessed it myself first hand. I guess it's better than messing up. I am amazed how rock stars can't remember the words to their own songs, but fans can. He wrote them, he can change them if he wants to. Robert Plant messed up the lyrics to Stairway at the 1988 Atlantic records anniversary reunion.

Uh... fans can remember the lyrics? :hmm:

I often forget lyrics as I sing along in the car or whatever - and just like Bono, these are songs I've known and adored for years, if not decades. And unlike Bono, I am a fan of U2 - so one could argue that I would or should remember the songs even better than Bono.

Worse, in concert, I've witnessed Bono start off a song and let fans start singing - and these fans, these die-hards who should know the words - FORGOT!

Therefore, fans do forget. And if fans - some of whom "worship" the band - can do this, then I can easily envision it happening to Bono. The only way to prevent this is tons of practice or notes. U2 rarely has the time to practice as much as they like - especially when they add something new to the setlist on a given night - so either Bono needs a prompter or at times he'll forget the lyrics.

Besides, when I listen to the live performances, I hear all sorts of mistakes by Edge, Adam and Larry - so if they can screw up playing songs that they've performed for decades, it makes sense that Bono can slip on the lyrics too. ;)

doctorwho said:

Besides, when I listen to the live performances, I hear all sorts of mistakes by Edge, Adam and Larry - so if they can screw up playing songs that they've performed for decades, it makes sense that Bono can slip on the lyrics too. ;)

Exactly...everyone seems to point out Bono's faults, but it's not like the rest of the band are perfect :shrug:

shart1780 said:
I think it's alot easier to forget guitar or drum lines than lyrics.

And I very rarely forget U2 lyrics.

But you listen to the songs all the time. Bono writes the lyrics, they represent that one moment of time, he records them and then tours. If it's not a song that he hasn't toured in awhile, more than likely he hasn't even listened to the song in years.

How would guitar parts or drum lines be easier to forget. Guitar parts and drumlines are repetitive, lyrics usually aren't except for chorus. Makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom