Bono cost advertisers $500,000 with his speeches?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladywithspinninghead

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From the Evening Standard in London, U.K.:

Bono bores 'em at the Grammys

by James Langton in New York

Bono caused chaos at the Grammy awards in Los Angeles today when he defied all attempts to shut him up, rambling for minutes at a time to the consternation of TV producers
and advertisers.

The U2 singer went on so long, overrunning
advertising slots worth nearly $500,000 a
minute, that organisers tried to cut off one
acceptance speech by playing music to drown
him out.

Bono, clutching what looked like a beer
bottle, collected the first of U2's four awards - record of the year, for Walk On - with the words: "Thank God. "
He then rambled:
"Being Irish, if you get eight nominations and no awards they wouldn't let you back in
the country, So this is a public safety issue." He then thanked the band's manager, their record label and his mother.

But soon Bono was back as Britney Spears handed him the best pop performance Grammy for Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of. "I hope we don't win any more awards," he said. But he was just warming up: "It is
still an extraordinary thing to behold the sound of a rock and roll band in full flight. Not just the sound of it when it
gets airborne - but the deals that you make on the ground; the promises that your friendship will survive being broke [or] not being broke; the Eighties - and maybe 20 years later you will find yourselves at an award ceremony with people you started out with. Wow."

The audience didn't seem to know how to react. Eventually they applauded.

Bono returned to receive the award for best rock performance too, for Elevation. "It's an extraordinary thing," he began. "It's a gift much more than a craft in our case. This is a punk rock band, hearing mad tunes in their
heads that are gospel and folk and psychedelic and hard rock.

"And we depend on what Quincy Jones said - we depend on God walking through the room, more than most. And God has walked through the room on our record and I want to give thanks. Amen."

When they came back for a fourth award - rock album of the year, for All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2 guitarist the Edge tried to get a word in. "Some very special things have also happened to me," he attempted to
say. But Bono snatched the microphone, explaining: "He's a guitar player. I do the talking.''

The CBS network had waited until the last second before cutting away from Bono for each commercial break. The organisers had asked each winner to keep their remarks to a brief 30 seconds, but Bono was on stage for nearly five minutes in total while collecting U2's four awards. This time, producers began to play music over him.

The rest of the night was tame in comparison. The top male vocalist was won by James Taylor for Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight, a song he first recorded 30 years ago.The soundtrack to the film O Brother, Where Art Thou took five awards including best album, beating U2's All
That You Can't Leave Behind with a collection of Depression-era bluegrass. The compilation includes a rendition of O Death by 75-year-old Ralph Stanley, winning his first Grammy for best country collaboration with vocals.

Nearly 55 years his junior, newcomer Alicia Keys matched the record for the number of awards won by a female artist, taking five. The New York soul singer was named best new artist for Fallin', which also took song of the year, while her debut album Songs in A Minor won best R&B album. Nelly Furtado taking the award for female pop vocal performance with I'm Like a Bird.

The pop collaboration with vocals was won by Lady Marmalade from the film Moulin Rouge. But a live performance by Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink at the ceremony in Los Angeles was put in the shade by a larger-than-life appearance by Patti LaBelle, who first recorded the song in the 1970s and threatened to thrust aside the upstarts with her lowcut dress.

OMIGOD! That is such crap!!!! Bono did not go on and on, and that whole bit with the Edge was totally misunderstood by the journalist who wrote that review.

You know, that irks me because I felt it was so rude to cut the artists off like that, and I am not just talking about Bono. What about Alicia Keys? Holy crap, that woman was capable of talking all bloody night if allowed to, but they pick Bono to make fun of? Whatever.
I personally think the Grammy's are crap, and I am not saying that simply because U2 didn't win in all it's categories. I am so proud of them for the four they got and if you include last year, ATYCLB has won 7 Grammy's! That's beautiful.
However, the show it self is such a farce. Every year, the amount of awards that are actually handed out during the telecast become less and less. It's all performances now and bad stiff jokes laid out by the celebs. It's not much short of MTV. You would think that for the few awards they do let us see, the least they could do is have a little class and allow the winners more than 30 seconds to share their gratitude.
A real shoddy production in my opinion. Tacky and disrespectful.

------------------
I disappeared in you
You disappeared from me
I gave you everything you ever wanted,
It wasn't what you wanted

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 02-28-2002).]

All I have to say about that is
rolleyes.gif

They never cut him off for commercials. They cut him off so that the producers of the show could announce who else won during earlier ceremonies.

Oh, and the best comment was about Bono "clutching what looked like a beer
bottle"
rolleyes.gif
It was a bottle of water!!!

Oh, Yeah, he caused so much chaos!!

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

You know, and one more thing! At least U2 acceptance speeches are interesting and entertaining. At least they don't stand up there for minutes naming off a ton of people that no one knows.

Also, lol! Sorry Julie for taking over your thread! But I was so impressed with Bono last night. He has such class. Everytime an artist won and if they happened to show Bono, he stood and applauded even when no one else did. I am sorry, but that man rocks!

Ok, I am done...
wink.gif

lol Angel! you're not hijacking my thread! I want people to respond!!

I thought this article was so utterly ridiculous that I wanted to post it here so people could savage it!

Yes, I know what you mean - Bono is a Class Act...someone at that newspaper is really holding a grudge for some reason!

And oh yeah, here's another mistake the newspaper made in a different article...but at least this mistake is acceptable
wink.gif
:

THE GRAMMY'S - WHO WON WHAT

U2 topped the list of winners at the 2002 Grammys, winning four awards. But the Irish band weren't the only ones celebrating in Los Angeles...

That is crap! They played music over Alicia Keys too! Plus the story is full of inaccuracies, like Bono pushed Edge and said 'he's the guitar player' after the second televised award, not the last one, and it wasn't for best rock album, that was the one awarded before the show came on the air! Also, I'm sure the networks found a way to make up the advertiser money, they always do. Poor Bono. I found his speeches touching, and I liked them.

This is ridiculous. And he not even used the platform he was given to say a word about Drop the Debt, or DATA, or whatever cause/organization he's supporting, like he did in 1987...it was all about them and their music. Even so they are complaining. Ridiculous.
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 02-28-2002).]

But I found this little piece in the Guardian and found it somewhat amusing - at least this writer could appreciate Bono's witty and self-deprecating humour!

"He was also moved to speak at length of the band's love for America - something he has been doing a lot of recently, keeping company with such world leaders as Nobel laureates Desmond Tutu, Elie Wiesel and Kofi Annan.

"The United States is really crap at PR," he said. "I think the United States has a role to play in the world and it's not just as a police force."

After a few minutes he apologized for giving a lecture: "You win a few Grammys, you think you're very interesting," he said, smiling."

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:
"The United States is really crap at PR," he said. "I think the United States has a role to play in the world and it's not just as a police force."

After a few minutes he apologized for giving a lecture: "You win a few Grammys, you think you're very interesting," he said, smiling."

lmao! Did Bono say that last night? The first and second part??? I don't remember... I was so tired and bored of the show by then.

This guy obviously did not watch the show, it is full of glaring inaccuracies. Hmmmmm, funny how he didn't mention that there "cut away" Music played for like a minute while Alicia Keys was rambling on and on and on, thanking the same people over and over.

------------------
Daisy

and you become the monster
so the monster will not break you

Bonobono is a gentle boy

Well, I guess I'll be the odd voice here and say that I thought Bono's last speech went overboard. It was so perfect having Adam thank everyone and had it ended there it would've been very classy and humble. And while I always love to hear what Bono has to say, I could see how people would be annoyed, especially when he started talking about God walking through the room--that's something that fans understand and relate to but in the speech I thought it sounded pompous. It's rare that I'm annoyed with Bono, but I was this time, but only because I knew he'd get the kind of reaction this article displays and I felt protective, like I just wanted him to shut up so everyone would still like him.

Bono did sound pompous.

I kind of agree with this reports' assessment of Bono. He rambled and lacked his typical self deprecation. Although, I did find it funny when he told Edge to be quiet. That said, I am not sure you can fault the guy too much, he seemed overwhelmed by the whole thing (4 Grammys is a lot even for U2)and seemed to be speaking from the heart.

Karl

When they came back for a fourth award - rock album of the year, for All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2 guitarist the Edge tried to get a word in. "Some very special things have also happened to me," he attempted to say. But Bono snatched the microphone, explaining: "He's a guitar player. I do the talking.''

I've read way too many articles today that seem to have missed the humor in that situation! It makes it sound like Bono malevolently took the mic away from the Edge.

And it really didn't seem like Bono was rambling on that much. He could've talked for much longer, and they started playing music over other winners' speeches too. I know they want to keep the speeches short, but I think they should give the winners more time, as long as they don't start talking for 5 minutes or something.

I don't mind a pompous Bono or him being a bit pompous... However I've heard/ read that Quincy quote millions of times and it is getting old. That was the annoying part to me.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Does anyone remember in '94 when Bono introduced Frank Sinatra with his amazing dedication speech?

The Grammy A-holes then went on to cut off Old Blue Eyes as he made a very thankfull acceptance speech. All in the name of advertising. Several minutes later Billy Joel stopped his song right in the middle and said "Valuable advertising dollars slipping away" during the silence. He then finished the song. It was great of him, and I'm suprised they ever let him perform again!

by James Langton in New York

This coming from a man who obviously doesn't like U2 (How can that be). F**K him and F**k the advertisers. I have not seen an awards show yet where a winner hasn't gone past their allocated time for acceptance speechs. As i've always said, if you don't have anything good to say about someone, don't say anything at all...you James Langton idiot you...hey I just contradicted myself..oh well...

Well, I think Bono is the wrong person to be picked on...So many winners spend the entire time thanking everyone from their twice-removed 3rd cousin to their dog or spend the minutes going absolutely hysterical (a-la-Gwynneth-Paltrow)...Bono NEVER does anything of the sort - at least he has something meaningful and poignant to say!

Originally posted by sv:
Bono communicates best with the music, and is only capable of speaking eloquently for very short stretches. Anything longer than that and his ego shows. And over the years, Bono's television appearances have almost universally shown the worst aspects of his personality.

sv - I agree with you, Bono communicates best with music but did you listen to any of the World Economic Forum? Bono had quiet a few eloquent, multiple minute things to say there. Also, even though it was an interview session where he probably produced some canned answers, his hour with Charlie Rose on telivision showed some great aspects of his personality - intelligence, humor and honesty.

well, not to me, it ain't! I don't even know those people!
tongue.gif

Well disposable phones and orgasmatrons (sp?) aren't meaningful either.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

*edit*

I bored myself.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-28-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom