Bono cost advertisers $500,000 with his speeches?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I wonder how many advertising dollars that moron making his MP3-whining speech wasted.
tongue.gif

Jeez.. that was just so crappy of the guy. Urgh. Did you notice the college students looked a bit nervous? I don't know if it was because they were at the Grammys or on TV or if they knew they were having lots of hate directed somewhat towards them. lol
wink.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

What are the Grammys saying about the importance of the awards they hand out if they only give the winner 30 seconds to say thank you?

Not just the Grammys, but other award shows do this, especially the Oscars, and I find it completely appalling that people aren't given a reasonable amount of time to speak. By the time the four band members have been kissed and congratulated by the three presenters, it's time to go. It is a rude practice to play music while someone is trying to speak, whether that person is Bono or anyone else.
mad.gif

And finally, I think the artists feel the same way. Remember Julia Roberts winning best actress recently? The first thing she did was bitch out the orchestra guy and tell him that she would be taking her own sweet time, thank you very much. And when they cut off Alicia Keys, they showed some audience members, (I remember particularly Celine Dion) shaking their heads because she had been run off the stage with that obnoxious music.

Bottom line, unclassy.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

i thought bono was kind of a cool rebel by ignoring the backgroiund music with which they tried to get him of the stage. he{s cool. id ont think alicia keys deserves so much. and what was britney spears doing there?? she wasnt even nominated.

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

I totally agree that it is rude to cut off the winners' acceptance speeches after only 30 seconds. My concern wasn't that Bono was ignoring the music--I thought that was cool, actually--but that what he added after Adam's thank yous just wasn't necessary and kind of spoiled an otherwise perfectly gracious acceptance speech and list of thank yous. It's not that I don't want Bono to talk, I just wish he'd have actually said something. I mean, not that I take these things so seriously anyway. I was just kind of sitting there laughing and shaking my head, knowing that he had just crossed that threshold of irritation that a lot of people have with him.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I wonder how many advertising dollars that moron making his MP3-whining speech wasted.
tongue.gif
Good point Sula~ Why was it so important to cut everyones speech so they could have time to let that nut-waste spew rubbish while everyone collectively
rolleyes.gif

It was entirely rude of them to try and drown out Bono repeatedly, especially when he is talking about God and saying thanks and amen.

But good for him though, I wish he would have cost them more than $500,000, I guess $$$ is more important than God to the grammys
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
what he added after Adam's thank yous just wasn't necessary and kind of spoiled an otherwise perfectly gracious acceptance speech and list of thank yous.

Originally posted by z edge:

right back atcha

C'mon, I love God and Bono--but I honestly thought he sounded pompous talking about God walking through the room during their record. Or maybe it was more that I thought other people would find him pompous and I'd have to defend him the next day...

right back atcha

C'mon, I love God and Bono--but I honestly thought he sounded pompous talking about God walking through the room during their record. Or maybe it was more that I thought other people would find him pompous and I'd have to defend him the next day...

F*&% what other people think
eek.gif
Seriously, if they are not smart enough to get what he was saying then they deserve their "o brothers" "n*sucks" and so on.

If they (the grammys, producers) would've given the man enough time to speak his mind he might have came across so even the simple simons could gee gaw in unision
smile.gif

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game

Originally posted by z edge:
F*&% what other people think
eek.gif
Seriously, if they are not smart enough to get what he was saying then they deserve their "o brothers" "n*sucks" and so on.

If they (the grammys, producers) would've given the man enough time to speak his mind he might have came across so even the simple simons could gee gaw in unision
smile.gif

Whatever, z edge. I can love Bono and still find him pompous sometimes. I love him unconditionally, but not blindly. I'm sure many thought God was present during their recording sessions--Bono kind of sounded like U2 was special in that regard. That's just how I heard it. It may not be how he meant it. I think he is usually very sincere, but sometimes his humility strikes me as false, and this was one of those moments. That's all. Really not a big deal...just wish it had ended with Adam, a picture of humility.

And I don't actually care what people think on the one hand, but on the other, I don't want Bono getting another cock-punching!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-28-2002).]

Whatever, z edge. I can love Bono and still find him pompous sometimes. I love him unconditionally, but not blindly. I'm sure many thought God was present during their recording sessions--Bono kind of sounded like U2 was special in that regard. That's just how I heard it. It may not be how he meant it. I think he is usually very sincere, but sometimes his humility strikes me as false, and this was one of those moments. That's all. Really not a big deal...just wish it had ended with Adam, a picture of humility.

And I don't actually care what people think on the one hand, but on the other, I don't want Bono getting another cock-punching!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-28-2002).]

I hope you didn't take my
smile.gif
the wrong way. I'm not
mad.gif
at you, I was making my point but not intending to come across the way you may have taken it
redface.gif
Well sorry if I did
frown.gif

I disagree with you
rolleyes.gif
but you are still
cool.gif
to me

XOXOXO

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game

if that $500,000 is so damn important to the grammies, they could always reduce what's in, or completely eliminate those damn gift baskets! like christina aguilera needs all that shit.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
she wore canvas shoes white canvas shoes, around her neck she wore a silver necklace...
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

While there were some mistakes in that article (other artists had music played over their speeches, incident with Edge taken out of context) I must agree that I times even I wish Bono would just SHUT UP!
smile.gif

I'd tend to agree that Bono was a bore, that he was not able to conceal his massive ego, and that he could learn a bit from the simple, fairly humble, graceful acceptance speech that the Train singer made.

But this is nothing new. Even in concert with a comfortable U2 audience, Bono communicates best with the music, and is only capable of speaking eloquently for very short stretches. Anything longer than that and his ego shows. And over the years, Bono's television appearances have almost universally shown the worst aspects of his personality.

Well forgive him for being 'pompous.' A guy would tend to get the big head when his band is the greatest in the world, coming off the best tour of the year, his album won more Grammys and he's on the cover of Time magazine. Add to that the fact that hundreds of us spend much of our lives on the internet discussing him. He must feel very important.
wink.gif

tongue.gif

You know what, Bono explained himself in the VH1 post-grammy show. It was much better than all of the acceptance stuff combined.

If you haven't seen it you should try to catch the rerun this afternoon. It will shed light on a lot and I think will silence a lot of the pompous references.

Bono always shoots off at the mouth. It's just the way he is. I thought the thing about how special it was to have been together with the same guys for so many years was sweet. It's true.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

I wonder if this will influence U2's chances of getting a grammy in the future. Will the judges be influenced by the loss of this advertising revenue?

oh blah
He was honest which is far more than most of those posers do.
I'd much rather a Bono ramble about love and soul and whatever else his big heart desires than some poser millionairre rap artist saying "wazzup" and thanking God for giving them an award.
rolleyes.gif

I do however have one critcism, no thankyous for those beautiful women sitting next to them. Bad Boys!!!!!!

On one of the entertainment sites they said all that music during the speeches was just a desperate attempt by some musicans to put "have also played with U2 and Keyes' to their resumes
biggrin.gif

They should have come to expect that kind of behavior from Bono....at least I do.

dream wanderer

Okay, I watched that closing speech again last night...and it wasn't as bad as I first thought.

That's for you, z edge love muscle.

The writings of this journalist reminds me of the journalist/critic who said The Joshua Tree was not so great! This whole article on the Grammy's, pertaining to U2, doesn't ring a bell to me. I thought that "beer" was a bottle of Sping Water! You sure this dude was watching the same show?????????

Originally posted by U2junkie:
The writings of this journalist reminds me of the journalist/critic who said The Joshua Tree was not so great! This whole article on the Grammy's, pertaining to U2, doesn't ring a bell to me. I thought that "beer" was a bottle of Sping Water! You sure this dude was watching the same show?????????

I know. Isn't it obvious that most beer does NOT come in a BLUE PLASTIC BOTTLE, for gods sake?
rolleyes.gif
Really, they are so dumb to think that.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 03-01-2002).]

Originally posted by dream wanderer:
On one of the entertainment sites they said all that music during the speeches was just a desperate attempt by some musicans to put "have also played with U2 and Keyes' to their resumes
biggrin.gif

dream wanderer

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha, that's hilarious!!!!!

And I love your answer regarding that Manda!!!!! hahahahahah!!!

Back
Top Bottom