Bono cost advertisers $500,000 with his speeches?!? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2002, 11:03 AM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

by James Langton in New York
This coming from a man who obviously doesn't like U2 (How can that be). F**K him and F**k the advertisers. I have not seen an awards show yet where a winner hasn't gone past their allocated time for acceptance speechs. As i've always said, if you don't have anything good to say about someone, don't say anything at all...you James Langton idiot you...hey I just contradicted myself..oh well...

Old 02-28-2002, 11:10 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:37 AM

Well, I think Bono is the wrong person to be picked on...So many winners spend the entire time thanking everyone from their twice-removed 3rd cousin to their dog or spend the minutes going absolutely hysterical (a-la-Gwynneth-Paltrow)...Bono NEVER does anything of the sort - at least he has something meaningful and poignant to say!

Old 02-28-2002, 12:42 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 01:37 PM
heheh! whatever the truth is, good on Bono! You won't beat his best speech at a awards ceremony like the one I took my name from....
Old 02-28-2002, 12:50 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 12:37 AM
welcome to the world of low class british tabloid journalism... i'm just surprised you people thought there might by something worth reading in there!
Old 02-28-2002, 01:15 PM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:37 AM
LOL... I think "thank yous" and acknowledging people are meanigful...

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC
Old 02-28-2002, 03:29 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sv:
Bono communicates best with the music, and is only capable of speaking eloquently for very short stretches. Anything longer than that and his ego shows. And over the years, Bono's television appearances have almost universally shown the worst aspects of his personality.
sv - I agree with you, Bono communicates best with music but did you listen to any of the World Economic Forum? Bono had quiet a few eloquent, multiple minute things to say there. Also, even though it was an interview session where he probably produced some canned answers, his hour with Charlie Rose on telivision showed some great aspects of his personality - intelligence, humor and honesty.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:35 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu:
LOL... I think "thank yous" and acknowledging people are meanigful...
well, not to me, it ain't! I don't even know those people!
Old 02-28-2002, 04:04 PM   #28
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:
well, not to me, it ain't! I don't even know those people!
Well disposable phones and orgasmatrons (sp?) aren't meaningful either.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC
Old 02-28-2002, 04:06 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
maybe not, but they sure as hell were funny!
Old 02-28-2002, 04:18 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 AM
*edit*

I bored myself.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-28-2002).]
Old 02-28-2002, 05:17 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I wonder how many advertising dollars that moron making his MP3-whining speech wasted.
Jeez.. that was just so crappy of the guy. Urgh. Did you notice the college students looked a bit nervous? I don't know if it was because they were at the Grammys or on TV or if they knew they were having lots of hate directed somewhat towards them. lol

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988
Old 02-28-2002, 05:34 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Well, maybe not meaningful, but very, very useful!!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 05:36 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:37 AM
What are the Grammys saying about the importance of the awards they hand out if they only give the winner 30 seconds to say thank you?

Not just the Grammys, but other award shows do this, especially the Oscars, and I find it completely appalling that people aren't given a reasonable amount of time to speak. By the time the four band members have been kissed and congratulated by the three presenters, it's time to go. It is a rude practice to play music while someone is trying to speak, whether that person is Bono or anyone else.

And finally, I think the artists feel the same way. Remember Julia Roberts winning best actress recently? The first thing she did was bitch out the orchestra guy and tell him that she would be taking her own sweet time, thank you very much. And when they cut off Alicia Keys, they showed some audience members, (I remember particularly Celine Dion) shaking their heads because she had been run off the stage with that obnoxious music.

Bottom line, unclassy.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart
Old 02-28-2002, 05:47 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i thought bono was kind of a cool rebel by ignoring the backgroiund music with which they tried to get him of the stage. he{s cool. id ont think alicia keys deserves so much. and what was britney spears doing there?? she wasnt even nominated.

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me
Old 02-28-2002, 06:01 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

I totally agree that it is rude to cut off the winners' acceptance speeches after only 30 seconds. My concern wasn't that Bono was ignoring the music--I thought that was cool, actually--but that what he added after Adam's thank yous just wasn't necessary and kind of spoiled an otherwise perfectly gracious acceptance speech and list of thank yous. It's not that I don't want Bono to talk, I just wish he'd have actually said something. I mean, not that I take these things so seriously anyway. I was just kind of sitting there laughing and shaking my head, knowing that he had just crossed that threshold of irritation that a lot of people have with him.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:03 PM   #36
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I wonder how many advertising dollars that moron making his MP3-whining speech wasted.
Good point Sula~ Why was it so important to cut everyones speech so they could have time to let that nut-waste spew rubbish while everyone collectively

It was entirely rude of them to try and drown out Bono repeatedly, especially when he is talking about God and saying thanks and amen.

But good for him though, I wish he would have cost them more than $500,000, I guess $$$ is more important than God to the grammys

Old 02-28-2002, 06:06 PM   #37
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
what he added after Adam's thank yous just wasn't necessary and kind of spoiled an otherwise perfectly gracious acceptance speech and list of thank yous.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:19 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
right back atcha

C'mon, I love God and Bono--but I honestly thought he sounded pompous talking about God walking through the room during their record. Or maybe it was more that I thought other people would find him pompous and I'd have to defend him the next day...
Old 02-28-2002, 06:48 PM   #39
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
right back atcha

C'mon, I love God and Bono--but I honestly thought he sounded pompous talking about God walking through the room during their record. Or maybe it was more that I thought other people would find him pompous and I'd have to defend him the next day...
F*&% what other people think Seriously, if they are not smart enough to get what he was saying then they deserve their "o brothers" "n*sucks" and so on.

If they (the grammys, producers) would've given the man enough time to speak his mind he might have came across so even the simple simons could gee gaw in unision

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game
Old 02-28-2002, 07:02 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
F*&% what other people think Seriously, if they are not smart enough to get what he was saying then they deserve their "o brothers" "n*sucks" and so on.

If they (the grammys, producers) would've given the man enough time to speak his mind he might have came across so even the simple simons could gee gaw in unision

Whatever, z edge. I can love Bono and still find him pompous sometimes. I love him unconditionally, but not blindly. I'm sure many thought God was present during their recording sessions--Bono kind of sounded like U2 was special in that regard. That's just how I heard it. It may not be how he meant it. I think he is usually very sincere, but sometimes his humility strikes me as false, and this was one of those moments. That's all. Really not a big deal...just wish it had ended with Adam, a picture of humility.

And I don't actually care what people think on the one hand, but on the other, I don't want Bono getting another cock-punching!

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-28-2002).]