Bono coming to Timor rumour gets hotter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
In todays Sydney Sunday paper there is a new article about Bono going to East Timor for this concert with other artists in May.
It says that he still isnt confirmed but says he is tipped to continue his high profile huminitarian efforts by flying to East Timor for the 2 day extravaganza.

It also suggests that U2 fans would be hoping for some sort of further trip for Bono then to Australia and we should keep our fingers crossed.

Yeah right...

------------------
*I am a cowgirl of funk*

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 04-13-2002).]

Hey Amanda...I'm glad to see there is no more bitterness on your part about U2 not making down to the Yellow Brick Road.
tongue.gif

In all seriousness, I hope this trip to East Timor for Bono works out, and that he also will make it to Australia and will be able to explain to the wonderful fans of Australia why U2 didn't make it to your country for the Elevation Tour, which is still a mystery to me.

Chris

I hope they go. We have been following the news here as well, we have a language in common with East Timor. That would be wonderful for those people...and for them as well, to take part in the celebration of a new nation.

As received from @U2 ML:

"[Note: this is still a RUMOR.]

Sun Herald (Sydney)
April 14, 2002 Sunday

HEADLINE: Bono And Paul Set For Timor Gig

BYLINE: Christine Sams

IRISH rock star Bono is among a high-powered contingent of music stars set
to perform for Independence Day celebrations in East Timor, in an event
being organised by Ignatius Jones.

In what promises to be a memorable occasion, Jones will oversee performances
by Paul McCartney and the U2 singer for the mid-May event.

The Sydney-based artistic supremo was sent to East Timor with a small team
of creative Australians to organise the huge event, which is a joint
initiative between City of Sydney Council and the United Nations. After
being contacted in Dili by The Sun-Herald, Jones said his new assignment was
going brilliantly, but he was unable to officially confirm the top-level
artists in his line-up because of UN restrictions. But insiders say
McCartney is a certainty for the gala ceremony and Bono is tipped to
continue his high-profile humanitarian efforts by flying to East Timor for
the two-day extravaganza.

Jones confirmed he is working closely with East Timorese leaders Xanana
Gusmao and Jose Ramos-Horta to organise the event, scheduled for May 19 and
20. But the big question for Australian music fans is whether Bono and
McCartney will consider visiting down under after their East Timor
performances?

U2 fans disappointed by the band's decision not to bring their Elevation
tour to Australia should keep their fingers crossed. But McCartney fans can
be assured the singer will perform in Australia, with dates being organised
by music promoter Paul Dainty.

The shows are yet to be confirmed, but the former Beatle has been inspired
by the success of his US shows, and is keen for a repeat here."

Bono and Paul a Beatle. That would be a big duo. I hope it happens for the Timorese people. Good luck to them

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 04-16-2002).]

Bono gets hotter coming to Timor
Bono coming, Timor gets hotter
hotter Timor gets to Bono

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I belong to an East Timor Support Group in the Blue Mountains, and some of them are going to the celebrations - but not me as i cannot take time off work !!!! The group is well known in there and so they will probably meet Bono, if he goes.

I'm trying not to think about it!

Pamela

no doubt he'll miss out little old brisbane if he does come. my trip to sydney might be coming up sooner than expected!!

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

mad.gif

ahh...its too early in the morning to roast you amanda.

------------------
20 to 40!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, thought u might be interested in this!

Sunday Mirror
April 21, 2002

U2 Lead 'Freedom' Concerts

By Larissa Nolan

Bono is set to fly to East Timor to help the troubled African nation celebrate independence with a gala.

The U2 star is expected to headline the event with Paul McCartney after years of campaigning for the country's freedom.

Bono and the Edge were two of the signatories of a document offering solidarity with the people of the country last year as they went to the polls to vote in a government.

The country was invaded by Indonesia in 1975 and the resulting bloody conflict claimed the lives of more than 200,000 people.

Australian promoter Ignatius Jones, who is planning the event with the UN and City of Sydney Council, said he is unable to confirm the artists in his line-up because of UN restrictions.

But concert insiders say McCartney and Bono will fly to East Timor for the two-day extravaganza on May 19 and 20.

Meanwhile, U2's bassist Adam Clayton has revealed the rock group may be release their next album by the end of the year.

He says the band already have much of the album written and have a large number of material left over from All You Can't Leave Behind.

? The Sunday Mirror, 2002.

------------------
"In my heart I'm not wearing any sunglasses baby"
Bono, to Larry, in response of being nervous on stage, 2000

*U2TakeMeHigher*

We, like the Timorese people, can but live in hope. Thanks olive.
I wanted to tell this story, here is a good place...I think.
It was my b'day last week and mum sent me a letter. It also contained the newspaper clipping of the April 14 article that follower posted. It also contained a piece of paper that says -
"To cass, We O U a ticket to U2 whenever they come to Australia signed mum and dad April 2002."
A legal document? I don't think they quite realise how much U2 tickets are here. They are groovy oldies. They gave me a ticket to the blues & roots festival last year to see Emmylou Harris....heck mum came with me, how groovy is that?
smile.gif

I hope Mr and Mrs Gusmao get to dance to the 2 Pauls, seriously. They deserve it.

PS: I just read the newsarticle that eliv8 posted.It says Bono will be in Ghana on May20. I wondered why that other article said Timor was an African nation....a bit of interference? the old crossed wires? seems so.
Well Ignasius ( I can't help but picture him from his "Jimmy and the Boys" days, lol.) I think you had best plan a disco mate.

Back
Top Bottom