BONO can you please get back to the studio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffo17

Acrobat
Everytime i read new U2 news its something where Bono is doing his humanitarian work which i have nothing againts....

But plzzz bono i think we should be in the studio with edge, larry and adam..... we need to be 100% focused on U2 for now and the music.... We Want a Great album!!!!

not one that not much time is spent on it... Please get back to the studio bono...

Adam has to attend to his garden first.
Larry is glued to the mirror.
Edge is stuck inside his effects trolley (aka his Mars shuttle).

last unicorn said:
Why don't we lock the guys in at their studio and don't let any of them out before they haven't finishted the album?

Stuck In A Moment They Can't Get Out Of

lol! i just love all these creative puns being tossed about!

kinda makes me feel like... it's a beautiful day!

LOL!!

If only they could STAY in the studio!
l_83c97a19f6a65c4a17872deffd2ba6e3.gif

I've been nagging about this for a while now but last night Lanois played his last gig this year. A press release says he will meet up with Brian and U2 in a recording studio after that, which hopefully means this week and on to the new year.

So the guys should be in a recording studio (but which one?) jamming away soon.

I can see where the topicstarter is coming from.

I also think Bono could use a break from all his other activities and just concentrate fully on the music now. I think it would benefit the new album very very much if they just would get together and not for 1 or 3 days but for a couple of weeks.

It's not like all his campaigns etc are stopping when he isnt working on them, there are other people involved as well.

Yes, i've said this before but regarding the topic i felt this had to be said again. It's a little harsh at times, I know, but it's for the good cause now that there's a new album coming up:

Bono: FOR THE SAKE OF THE REAL ORIGINAL, POETIC, MYSTICAL, MELANCHOLY MUSIC: Get your ass FULL TIME in the studio and CREATE with the boys extraordinary music like you've done in the years before! Create landscapes, atmospheres… Stay away from the big U2 clichés for once: (songs like COBL, favourite one-liners: "Edge is on fire, punk-rock from venus, staying relevant is important, getting lost in the music..")
I admire you for your spirit and effort for the good cause, but the music suffers from it! Get mysterious again, epic, poetic, ambient, sounding slik & cool like on Until The End Of The World, The Fly... take your fans on a ride like in the old days with new music!

I think people nowadays hunger for some imagination, melancholy, romance, getting sucked into landscapes, atmospheres in music, not only sincerity or being too direct with emotion and explain everything so that in the end it falls flat like in songs like Sometimes and Original... You've proven that a song works better if you don't become to literally and leave a little room to breath and imagination in songs like in One, Stay or Please....

Don't we all want to hear a band that doesn't give a shit if the new CD sells, but want to make a record that is original, experimental and is not written for the masses. Take risks! And than when that afterwards appeals to a big crowd: nice for you and the record sales! But it shouldn't be the hook/startingpoint of a new album...Like The Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby and Zooropa were... U2 didn't know how the world would respond to it when they first brought this record into the world... And look at the magic and evelasting power and artforms these albums turned out!
It seems like nowadays they know the trick, and, unfortunately one can hear it: U2 doing U2 to a cliché-extend: City Of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, All Because Of You, Crumbs (Walk On-clone), Sometimes (to much "in-your-face-sentiment")..Bono said about HTDAAB: "I want every song to sound like it could be released as a single.." Man, with this attitude in the songwriting-proces they tend to shift towards sounding like Bon Jovi.

U2/Bono should focus on making surprising, artistically interesting songs again that come from another place like: Tomorrow, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, In God's Country, Love Comes Tumbling, Walk To The Water (talking about a gem!), The Fly, Acrobat, Until The End Of The World, Lemon, Heartland, Love Is Blindness, Please, When I Look At The World, Mercy…
These song are creative, emotional in a subtle way, multi-layered, spiritual, and come from places out of this world. While, except for Yahweh and A Man And A Woman!, the songs on HTDAAB sound like everyday life... Down to earth, too straight-on, flat, plain lyrics, no surprises, so therefore less interesting and not long lasting as the earlier albums full of gems, and not full of "hit-singles"!
More and more you hear people getting bored with U2 because they don't tickle the listeners imagination anymore en don't delve into unknown territory. I'm afraid right now they've fallen into the trap of being the biggest, therefore pleasing the masses. U2 should not sell out and become they're on tribute-band !

The last 2 albums are good, with good songs on them. But not more than that. 80% is indeed dry and one-dimensional.
Now that they have the attitude: “o.k., we now know how to write a good song, so listen what we got!” (with a lot of swagger). Sorry Bono, you can scream to the world that City Of Blinding Lights is one of the best songs ever, but it’s nowhere near Streets, Unforgettable or Please!! And I think he knows it...
The more a song or album lacks this magic, the more he brags about it, and feels he has to back it up with a lot of noise and blah-blah…Everybody knows that by now! It’s so see-through…

But I’m still waiting for a great return of my favourite band. And I’m convinced when they keep a few things in mind, we’ll hear them as we never heard them before, full of surprises. A few things that could help them:

1. Bono: be there 100% when it comes to the writing process. In the studio, FULL TIME, with the others all the time! Stimulate each other! Fight, argue, experiment, whatever but look for new grounds!
2. take risks musically (like in the AB and Zooropa-era)
3. forget about wanting to be the biggest, best or whatever!
4. in songwriting: search for weird, unknown territory, dark/light sounds, dark/light landscapes
5. forget about: “how do we appeal to the largest number of listeners/audience”
6. forget about: “how do we play this live?”
7. forget the straightforward-down-to-earth thing: get the passion and the poetry back

Well, that arguement might be fine if somehow there was a universal hierarchy that proclaims that being direct in a song is automatically worse than being poetic. Just looking at the examples that you give for being to direct, SYCMIOYO and OOTS it is obvious that you miss the point completely. You're going to tell Bono that he is not allowed to write a song to his Dad that is direct? You're going to tell him that he has to make it vague? Funny, I've run across a lot of posts from people who take that song to heart because anyone who has lost a parent or friend or mate or child can relate to it. OOTS is too direct? Gee, he started out writing this to Edge's daughter but most reviews seem to think he is talking about a lover. It is obviously not too direct because most people don't seem to really get it. I'm sorry that you can only see one dimension in the lyrics of the last two albums, but I don't think that is Bono's fault. I have no trouble finding many layers to these songs and judging by posts I've seen other are able to as well.

The other thing I find hilarious is that if you go back and read early reviews of the band from pre-JT days you will find endless complaints about Bono's vagueness and poetic imagery in his lyrics. So he learns to write songs and now there are all these complaints about him being too direct and not poetic enough and go back to images, etc. That's the kind of tug of war that ended up with Elvis' self destruction so I'm glad to see that Bono does what he wants and doesn't try to satisfy every Tom, Dick and Harry out there. I don't think as fans it is our place to tell the artist what to do. Our place is to tell them whether we liked it or not. We do that by buying or not buying it. It is not the artist's fault if we somehow feet that we HAVE to buy everything they put out. Everybody makes a big deal about how artist's shouldn't sell out to record companies, shouldn't compromise their artistic vision, well, selling out to the fans is just as much a compromise of their artistic vision as anything else. If they change what they created whether it is response to record company pressure or fan pressure it is still a violation of their artistic vision. So if you somehow believe in the sanctity of artistic vision then you should not be trying to tell the band what they should do. By all means say what you like or don't like but don't presume to tell them what they should or shouldn't be doing.

Dana

Going back to the puns for a minute. I think there is no need for them at all.
At the end of the day, the sooner you lot can accept SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS wen putting an album together, the less moaning there will be.:wink:

what a load of rubbish

How to dismantle is one of my least favourite U2 albums but I wouldn't pretend I know the exact ingredients of why this is so

as for the original topic
I don't see hwo it's an either / or situation

yes, Bono should be there enough for some 'magic' to be allowed to happen
but let the man do what he needs to otherwise

The only thing I'll say on this topic is that I wonder how much creative reading Bono's been doing. Back in the JT & AB eras, he couldn't get enough of fiction & poetry. The JT era stuff was so inspired by American writers like Raymond Carver and, we'll see, Allen Ginsberg, etc. I'd love to know the current balance of Bono's reading between creative works and factual, statistical, money/disease/aid-based works....and I'd love to know which creative works he's been reading. I think somewhere a few months ago there was a comment that he was reading WWI or WWII poetry....

sorry, too lazy to think of a pun :wink:

hi folks, they are back in the studios!
A dubliner friend sent me some news, are all there from last wedsneday :madspit:

see ya

Utoo said:

I think somewhere a few months ago there was a comment that he was reading WWI or WWII poetry....

That was from the the first or the second u2.com report from Fez I believe. "Minds At War" I think the book was called.
(...I was warned oh the siren in the war...:hmm: )

I'm not very worried because unlike last time around Bono has done all his activism and meeting with politicians, giving speeches, accepting awards etc. all at the same time which has been for the last couple of months until now.
He's back in Ireland again and U2 will regroup with Eno/Lanois soon enough for at least another couple of weeks of songwriting. With all of the other tasks out of the way for a while he can at last focus on writing music with the rest of the group without having to go away every two weeks and that's the way I imagine he wanted it to be as well.

Last edited:
rihannsu said:
Well, that arguement might be fine if somehow there was a universal hierarchy that proclaims that being direct in a song is automatically worse than being poetic. Just looking at the examples that you give for being to direct, SYCMIOYO and OOTS it is obvious that you miss the point completely. You're going to tell Bono that he is not allowed to write a song to his Dad that is direct? You're going to tell him that he has to make it vague? Funny, I've run across a lot of posts from people who take that song to heart because anyone who has lost a parent or friend or mate or child can relate to it. OOTS is too direct? Gee, he started out writing this to Edge's daughter but most reviews seem to think he is talking about a lover. It is obviously not too direct because most people don't seem to really get it. I'm sorry that you can only see one dimension in the lyrics of the last two albums, but I don't think that is Bono's fault. I have no trouble finding many layers to these songs and judging by posts I've seen other are able to as well.

The other thing I find hilarious is that if you go back and read early reviews of the band from pre-JT days you will find endless complaints about Bono's vagueness and poetic imagery in his lyrics. So he learns to write songs and now there are all these complaints about him being too direct and not poetic enough and go back to images, etc. That's the kind of tug of war that ended up with Elvis' self destruction so I'm glad to see that Bono does what he wants and doesn't try to satisfy every Tom, Dick and Harry out there. I don't think as fans it is our place to tell the artist what to do. Our place is to tell them whether we liked it or not. We do that by buying or not buying it. It is not the artist's fault if we somehow feet that we HAVE to buy everything they put out. Everybody makes a big deal about how artist's shouldn't sell out to record companies, shouldn't compromise their artistic vision, well, selling out to the fans is just as much a compromise of their artistic vision as anything else. If they change what they created whether it is response to record company pressure or fan pressure it is still a violation of their artistic vision. So if you somehow believe in the sanctity of artistic vision then you should not be trying to tell the band what they should do. By all means say what you like or don't like but don't presume to tell them what they should or shouldn't be doing.

Dana

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

I just want to say this: I understand your intention was good, but, dear, I wouldn't dare to talk like this to any adult person on the planet, not even if he is a member of my family. As rihannsu has said: you, we, have no right, we can buy their music or not, but tell them what to do... no, not at all. And talking about clichés I think you believe too much in the one talking about Bono as an irresponsible child, he seems to me funny, open-minded and very creative, but irresponsible, not at all. Maybe it's the contrary, he's taken too much responsibilty, but it's his life and I admire him for it, I doubt I would be brave enough to do what he's doing, even if I could.

Back
Top Bottom