Bono came up with the "hey baby hey baby hey" in the No Doubt Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Lemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I thought all you No Doubt fans might find this interesting:
I was watching the top 20 video countdown on VH1 last night, and No Doubt's "Hey Baby" was #2. After the video, the VJ said that Bono had visited the band while they were recording in Jamaica and that he had come up with the "hey baby hey baby hey" line. It's was kind of funny- the VJ said something like "those aren't Bono's most profound lyrics, but they're good for the song."
smile.gif

I wonder how long it took him to come up with those deep lyrics.
tongue.gif
10 seconds comes to mind.

I saw an clip on MTV news and Gwen was talking about Bono writing that part and about how when he first came in to the studio, he was singing the bit as "Jamaica," instead of "Hey Baby." Then Gwen jokingly said she didn't care how much he complained she still wouldn't give him a writer's credit. It was great.

By the way, she looks absolutely amazing in the picture on their website www.nodoubt.com

I'm still trying to forgive U2 for letting No Doubt open for them. Seeing them live confirmed my initial impressions of Gwen Stefani's voice. It's even more annoying up close.
tongue.gif

Would anyone else agree that No Doubt is going through their "POP" and "Zooropa" stage (experimental music)?

I was thinking this as I saw them in Vegas...and I enjoy Gwen's voice!

Here goes Sula again........

wink.gif

She looks awesome on the site ocu.

dang, Sula....I had the complete opposite experience - I wasn't looking forward to hearing No Doubt opening for U2, because I was only a so-so fan, but OMG!!!! They completely changed my mind - as soon as their new album was out I ran out and bought it.

The only drawback is....they rocked so hard live in concert, that their album was a bit of a disappointment...I miss that 'kidney-thumping bass' of their live show!!! Maybe they need to talk to Howie B....

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I'm still trying to forgive U2 for letting No Doubt open for them. Seeing them live confirmed my initial impressions of Gwen Stefani's voice. It's even more annoying up close.
tongue.gif

I love No Doubt and adore Gwen. She's a kick-ass rock grrl who doesn't take shit. I think they're fun! I love seeing punky grrls in music today because there aren't enough of them getting airplay. Gwen's voice isn't perfect, but most popular singer's voices aren't either. But then again, if ya don't like it, ya don't like it. Tis all subjective. I just wanted to sign in for fans of ND.

I thought they put on one of the best shows I've seen when they were opening for U2 in Vegas. I had the best time!! Speaking of bad openers - I saw Garbage open in Tampa, and they were boring as a dog's arse.

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 01-08-2002).]

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Would anyone else agree that No Doubt is going through their "POP" and "Zooropa" stage (experimental music)?

I was thinking this as I saw them in Vegas...and I enjoy Gwen's voice!

Yep, I agree....I love No Doubt, and they were awesome in Vegas, but this whole new sound they have going is definitely goig to go down as their "POP" faze.

------------------
I know your garden's full
But is there sweetness at all?

See, I don't see it as their POP phase. I think they are growing as a band, and incorporating different influences (namely dancehall, electronica & reggae - the hip-hop thing with Eve was just a side-project and not an artistic statement. In the latest issue of Q, Gwen actually denounces hiphop) - much like POP - but Rock Steady doesn't seem as foreign a sound for No Doubt as POP did for U2. I like both albums. Rock Steady feels like No Doubt. POP, to me (while still a good album) didn't feel like U2.

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 01-08-2002).]

Originally posted by Discoteque:
The only drawback is....they rocked so hard live in concert, that their album was a bit of a disappointment...

I have to agree. They are a much better live band.

------------------
My Lair

the hey baby hey baby hey baby part is my favorite part of that song! Go figure! I can totally see Bono contributing that to a song - for a band OTHER than U2!

no doubt used to be cool. i liked them when they were a pop rock band or at least something concerned with rock but now their like the NWA or something its just CRAP. i cant believe someone actually recorded that...and that someone actually likes hey baby, that is just unbelievable!!!

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

Yeah, I think No Doubt is going through their Zooropa/Pop phase. Gwen said long before they were asked to open for U2 that they are one of her favorite bands, so she probably had it in her mind to do an experimantal album at some point. I really don't think Rock Steady is nearly as good as Return Of Saturn and Tragic Kingdom, but I can understand them wanting to try something new. A thrid album in a row of Gwen singing/screaming about her problems, though they made great songs, would have become tired. Just like U2 after the 80's put aside the political music.

Also from what I heard in Gwen's interview with VH-1, Bono didn't write the Hey Baby parts. He just gave it a different spin when he walked into their studio. He added the "Hey BABY baby" part after all the "Hey baby hey baby hey"'s. I know it sounds confusing, but listen to the song, you'll see what I mean, I think, LOL!

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 01-08-2002).]

Originally posted by ericb:
Yeah, I think No Doubt is going through their Zooropa/Pop phase.
and 'n synch is going through their Unforgettable Fire phase

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by ocu2fan:
Really? What did she say?

From Q Magazine:

"I'm obviously not a hip-hop girl and I don't live in that world. We're from two different places, you know? To me, hip-hop has gone from real-life gangsters talking about the place they came from, to now then they just talk about making money and it's got boring."

Originally posted by HelloAngel:

From Q Magazine:
"I'm obviously not a hip-hop girl and I don't live in that world. We're from two different places, you know? To me, hip-hop has gone from real-life gangsters talking about the place they came from, to now then they just talk about making money and it's got boring."

I completely in agreement with Gwen on this one. The funny thing is that hip-hop SOUNDS fucking amazing but when I listen to the lyrics or watch the videos...
Spike Lee said something that I thought was pretty inciteful. He thinks that hip-hop videos are going to be looked at as the minstrel shows of the 90's and 00's in 50 years. African-American artists caricaturing themselves for the benefit of white label heads and moneymen. I mean honestly, how much difference is there between some rapper with his gold chains and Starter jacket flashing 100 dollar bills, surrounded by African-American women whom he calls Ho's made up like whores and Al Jolsen in Blackface?

MAP

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Page2000 (edited 01-08-2002).]

I love No Doubt. Does anyone have any information on the Reggae singers on their album, particularly the two singer that toured with them. I thought they were fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom