BONO: Becoming more famous for activism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jick said:

Nothing in my post is an accusation or anything to degrade the band or Bono.

How is saying "U2 cashed in on 9/11" and "being an activist is just a Bono persona" not degrading?

*edit* "over the top" comment is degrading too, not to mention untrue. Besides, since when does U2 need any help from anyone/anything in sales?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: BONO: Becoming more famous for activism?

Bono's shades said:

So, you say Bono is just faking his concern about AIDS and Third World Debt, and yet you claim your comments weren't meant to degrade him?? I think you are talking out of both sides of your mouth here, jick.

Backpeddaling is how I'd describe it. :lol:

sd

jick said:

Nothing in my post is an accusation or anything to degrade the band or Bono.

Maybe not, but it is degrading to the lives of the millions of suffering people that Bono is trying to help.

I think you are 150% WRONG when you say that Bono's activist is nothing more than a "persona". Please correct me if I'm not understanding you correctly, so you actually think he's just putting on a show and cares nothing about the people he's trying to help?

j..I can't think of a way you could degrade Bono more. Sure...staying up and reading economic text books...and constantly being on call with government officials...that sounds like a fun way of upping record sales....saying this is done just for U2's benefit is sick and cruel...and if I were in Bono's shoes...I couldn't think of any comment that would hurt me more.

Re: Re: Re: BONO: Becoming more famous for activism?

Bono's shades said:

So, you say Bono is just faking his concern about AIDS and Third World Debt, and yet you claim your comments weren't meant to degrade him?? I think you are talking out of both sides of your mouth here, jick.

The political activist persona is just like MacPhisto and the Fly. Bono knows he is Macphisto and the Fly. They both are a part of him, he is part egomaniac and rockstar. Those "characters" let a side of him that is genuine Bono, yet it is also a persona, a mask. Those characters are sort of like a release of the repressions he has as a rockstar. Bono has said that many times.

Same thing with political activism. Sure Bono is a political activist and all - but he has said many times - he only does good because he feels he is not the kinda of guy "who turns the other cheek." He wants a release from being an imperfect guy, from being a sinner and a Christian. So he made this political activist persona to do good.

Bono knows the contradiction of his lifestyle to his political activism. He wears $200 sunglasses, and probably has dozens of different models and styles. Does he really need all of them? If he just settled on one he likes, and then give the money he would have spent to charity?

Bono knows he will always be an imperfect man in an imperfect world. And history has shown his penchant for contradictions. Macphisto was the opposite of what 80's Bono was all about, yet it was also a release of what 80's Bono really felt. Now, activist Bono seems to be the opposite of the lavish, egomaniac, self-conscious 90's Bono persona, yet activist Bono is still very much Bono being a good Christian. It's all about contradiction and personas. But it doesn't matter, in the end, it is a win-win situation for everyone involved - from the AIDS victims in Africa, to the consumers who buy U2's records, to U2 themselves.

So I am consistent with my position that political activist Bono is just as real as MacPhisto and Fly Bono. They are all personas created to benefit all.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

jick said:
So I am consistent with my position that political activist Bono is just as real as MacPhisto and Fly Bono. They are all personas created to benefit all.
still a far cry from stating that the last leg of elevation was cashing in on 9/11

a statement that isn't only offensive to U2 but also to the entire U2 community

jick said:

They are good in creating win-win situations. Bono's Fly character, his Macphisto persona, and now this political activist front - they all add color to the legend of U2. The public gets their money's worth and U2 get to make great records. It's win-win.

This is only one of many statements you've made in this thread that have taken me aback. I won't even go into the 9/11 comments.

Saying that all of Bono's tremendous work for the causes he believes in is all a front or a "persona" is unbelievable. Why would someone put all of the effort that he has into it just to sell records. You're a trip, jick. Honestly.

But don't you see the difference between stage roles like The fly or Macphisto and Bono's outside-of-U2 activist work? (I don't think his reasons need to be justified to anyone, least of all to cynical critics/press)

How do you know he didn't give money to charity by now?
(if I'm not mistaken 15 billion dollars have been promised to fight AIDS, and Drop the debt campaign helped to erase 1 third of the debt of the poorest countries. U2 have so far estimatedly sold about 100 million albums, not counting the money gets divided between the band members and their manager. I think what he does is way more effective than if he was to give all of his money away, don't you?)

U2girl said:
But don't you see the difference between stage roles like The fly or Macphisto and Bono's outside-of-U2 activist work? (I don't think his reasons need to be justified to anyone, least of all to cynical critics/press)

How do you know he didn't give money to charity by now?
(if I'm not mistaken 15 billion dollars have been promised to fight AIDS, and Drop the debt campaign helped to erase 1 third of the debt of the poorest countries. U2 have so far estimatedly sold about 100 million albums, not counting the money gets divided between the band members and their manager. I think what he does is way more effective than if he was to give all of his money away, don't you?)

Bono reads the Bible and his role-model is Jesus Christ. In the gospel, Jesus told a rich man to give up all his riches because it is easier for a camel to pass through an eye of a needle than for a rich man to inherit the kingdom. Bono knows he will never be a Jesus and that he will always choose to be rich. So he might as well try to be a "mini-Jesus" by helping the third world, just like he tried being an "old-Vegas-Elvis" with the Mirrorball Man. And once again, nothing in wrong in trying to be a mini-Jesus. If most Christians in this world tried to play a Jesus persona more, this world would be a much better place.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: Re: Re: Re: BONO: Becoming more famous for activism?

jick said:

You are wrong - comparing apples to oranges, Jick. Because the Fly and MacPhisto were stage personas, not ones that weighed on his conscience, not ones that affected every other aspect of his life. Bono has, and will ALWAYS be a positive humanitarian activist. It's not a role he plays, it's a responsibility. I wish you could've seen Bono on World AIDS Day, I know you would feel differently about this situation if you had. Unless you've made huge strides in helping the world become a better place, I think it's simply heartless and wrong of you to keep minimalizing Bono's humanitarian efforts, especially since it's something you know nothing about.

This is dumb, Jick. Stick to writing thesis papers on how Avril Lavigne is like U2 and how Bono Jovi and U2 are alike as well.

Back
Top Bottom