Bono backing off the BEST EVER comment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this piece at @U2, from Norway, mentions how Bono said we won't know if the album will be as good or better than JT and AB for a couple years, and that it's up to the critics to decide whether the album is the bands best ever … hhmmmm … earlier this summer and fall all Bono could say was it's their best album ever and how they waiting 25 yrs to make the only album they've wanted to make …

I guess two perspectives prevail over this one: the media and the fans. Maybe it was him saying to one journalist, Your profession often decides and then people buy it based on your reviews and opinions and insights. who knows. it just struck me as a bit less sure about the album … maybe i'm reading into it too much. I think it's their best to date. without a doubt. It has everything. and is current. and is very interesting a whole. There is a subtext to the album i'm not sure some people will grasp … but I hope they do. And the album gets better and better after learning about the real issues and contexts to the songs.

Bono is the master of the soundbite.

Remember how during the ATYCLB promo campaign he kept saying, "There's no reverse gear on this tank," meaning that this was U2's new sound, not a return to pre-AB U2.

This time out, the sound is very similar, but now he's embracing it as the classic U2 sound.

I'm not sure he remembers what he says from one day to the next, he's just trying to sell records.

Bono is a master at contradicting himself.

Remember his comment about continuing to f*ck the mainstream when Zooropa got the alternative album Grammy? Well, they just did it once with Passengers. Ever since, they have embraced the mainstream with POP, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB. But then again, if you interpret it in a different light f*ck means having intimate relations, so you can argue that what Bono meant what being intimate with the mainstream.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Bono is a master at contradicting himself.

Remember his comment about continuing to f*ck the mainstream when Zooropa got the alternative album Grammy? Well, they just did it once with Passengers. Ever since, they have embraced the mainstream with POP, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB. But then again, if you interpret it in a different light f*ck means having intimate relations, so you can argue that what Bono meant what being intimate with the mainstream.

Cheers,

J

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Brilliant...!

I agree with you, J, but I'm not sure whether he contradicts himself because he doesn't care or because he doesn't remember.

I assume he just says whatever sounds good at the time.

The only people who remember are rabid fan who hang out on internet boards.

I'm sure he means most of the things he says about U2's sound and albums, I'm sure he really believes that each time that they do an album it's their best or really close to their best and I like that. It's good to know he feels like that about it. He contradicts himself because I guess they have a shitload of stuff in their heads that they want to do. I think U2 will will write a song with any interesting sound they stumble on. If it sounds good and it sounds right then they will make a song out of it, I have nothing against that. They've gien me too much for me not to trust them.

"Remember his comment about continuing to f*ck the mainstream when Zooropa got the alternative album Grammy?"

I was actually thinking about that comment after hearing "Vertigo" on a local adult-contemporay station. It doesn't get much more mainstream than adult-contemporary. Then again, its the same group that embraced Joshua Tree and made it a "classic" based on album sales and critical reviews.

Yea well he always says we need people to continue fucking the up the mainstream, you got to get mainstream first before you even get a chance to fuck it up.

I think hes finally being realistic that there is some stuff in the back catalog is very high quality....in the past he said he couldnt listen to U2 albums because he could always find something to do better but now maybe they are finally comfortable with what they have accomplished in music and that is a lot.

It may very well be the best theyve done but there is no arguing the power of U2s back catalog no doubt about that.

Bono has said that ablut every album prior to it's release.

Never believe what he says because half the time he is using hyperbole for effect and sometimes he is using it for humor.

Or he's saying it because the question "what do you think of the new album" is absolutely the stupidest question any professional journalist can ask Bono. :eyebrow:

Why can't it both be true that it's the album they've waited all their lives to make as well as not their best ever? Just because it's not their best ever doesn't mean it isn't in some way tied for best, but that isn't even the point. The point is, this may be the album where they've finally reached a certain goal (be it sound, writing, or simply saying what they wanted to say)...but it may or may not be the "best", which is quite a subjective thing.

Back
Top Bottom