Bono and the Simpsons movie oh how great it would be.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSL0535428620070705?feedType=RSS&rpc=22&sp=true

Simpsons movie targets church, environmentalists
Thu Jul 5, 2007 1:00PM EDT
Email | Print | Digg | Reprints | Single Page [-] Text [+]
1 of 1Full SizeFeatured Broker sponsored linkBy Mike Collett-White

LONDON (Reuters) - The upcoming Simpsons movie takes a typically irreverent dig at religion and environmentalists, and features a nude scene involving 'toon teen Bart that had the audience at a preview show applauding.

A 10-minute clip from "The Simpsons Movie", the first time Homer, Marge, their family and friends have made it to the big screen, was shown in London late on Wednesday ahead of its release worldwide later in July.

The clip offered several clues as to the plot, suggesting that the environment and religion would be major themes.

Rock band Green Day is booed and pelted when it starts speaking about the environment to a Springfield crowd, while Homer's daughter Lisa is a green campaigner shunned by the town's inhabitants who simply don't care.

She may also find love, however, after she swoons upon meeting a fellow campaigner from Ireland who insists he is not the son of U2 frontman and celebrity campaigner Bono.

The Simpsons also turn up late at church, where Homer's father has a seizure and warns of trouble to come.

When asked to explain this behavior, Homer flicks through a Bible, and mutters: "This book doesn't have any answers."

Perhaps the biggest laugh was for Bart, who skateboards through town naked after being challenged to do so by Homer.

After a series of scenes where strategically-placed extras and props protect his modesty, the audience gets a full view of his private parts through a gap in a hedge.

LIKELY TO BE OFFENSIVE

Series creator Matt Groening, speaking to the audience after the clips were screened, said he expected complaints.

"In America there's someone willing to pretend to be offended by everything and so we annoy people and that's part of the appeal," he said. "It's to entertain people and also to annoy a certain segment of the audience as well."

Series writer Al Jean agreed that there were big themes in the film, particularly the environment, but that the movie's makers did not obviously take sides.

"They are big themes, especially the environmental theme, but we always like to approach it from both sides, so later in the film when Lisa's giving a lecture about the pollution, the label of the lecture is 'An Irritating Truth'."

Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore inspired Oscar-winning climate change documentary "An Inconvenient Truth".

Groening said he had been thinking about making a movie based on the hit animated television series as early as 1992, but struggled to find the time.

Asked what the main message of the movie was, Jean replied: "It's that a man should listen to his wife."

Groening added: "And it's a romantic movie. Homer falls in love with a pig."

"The Simpsons Movie" enters a crowded animation movie marketplace, but Groening argued that it stood out from the majority of films in the genre.

"This really is a tribute to the art of hand-drawn animation which is basically disappearing," he said. "All the animated movies these days are computer-generated, and this is the old-fashioned, clumsy, hand-drawn ... way."

I was going to say that Bono's sons are a little young to be environmental campaigners, but then I remembered that Lisa is in 2nd grade, so I guess it works.

:drool: The Garbage Man Can :drool:

LemonMacPhisto said:
If this was 6 years ago, I would've been much more interested.

Why? The show sucked back then too.

It ain't been good since '98. And that's a fact. :sad:

I was at least interested in watching reruns back then though. :wink:

I'm more excited for the return of Futurama over this. That's a classic.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I was at least interested in watching reruns back then though. :wink:

I'm more excited for the return of Futurama over this. That's a classic.

Futurama is coming bacK????:ohmy:

Im a huge Simpsons fan but my bro tried getting me to see Futurama and I just never did until I stated seeing it on cable and I got hooked..:)

Is Futurama supposed to be funny? :eyebrow: I've only laughed a handful of times in the 10 or so episodes I've seen. Heck, Family Guy is funnier, IMO...and that's not saying much. Don't even get me started on American Dad.

This is a dark, dark age for adult-oriented cartoons. :(

LemonMelon said:
Is Futurama supposed to be funny? :eyebrow: I've only laughed a handful of times in the 10 or so episodes I've seen.

Okay, good. I thought I was the only pop culture junkie who doesn't like Futurama.

Unless you're talking about "Jurassic Bark," which is the saddest thing I've ever, ever seen on TV. My god, the SADNESS! :sad: That episode broke me.

LemonMelon said:
Is Futurama supposed to be funny? :eyebrow: I've only laughed a handful of times in the 10 or so episodes I've seen. Heck, Family Guy is funnier, IMO...and that's not saying much. Don't even get me started on American Dad.

This is a dark, dark age for adult-oriented cartoons. :(

unfortunately I cant get into Family Guy much less American Dad, but then i havent given eather a fair chance..and YEAH ADULT SWIM :lol::up:

or Comedy Centrals animation series too, Drawn Together :yikes:
talk about raunchy!!!

Family Guy is insanely stupid, but there's always at least one thing that makes me laugh really hard in each episode. So I watch it, because that one big laugh is always worth it.

corianderstem said:
Family Guy is insanely stupid, but there's always at least one thing that makes me laugh really hard in each episode. So I watch it, because that one big laugh is always worth it.

Family Guy :rockon:

"The family vacations in Alaska, where Homer partakes in a dog-sledding race. When they come back to Springfield, Professor Frink invents a device that removes peoples clothes and he tests it on bart (That's why bart is skateboarding naked in that one part) The clothes removing device takes up so much power that Mr. Burns decides to cut off the towns supply of power (hence the power shutting off).. Fearing for Barts soul, Ned Flanders decides to take him in but The Simpsons don't know that so they replace him with a pig. Bart is mad so he decides to steal the pig during church. Trying to woo back Bart, Homer buys a motorcycle but the motorcycle belongs to the president and all these government helicopters start tracking down the Simpsons. Also Mayor Quimby constructs a huge wall to keep out mexicans, that's what the big shadow is. God talks to the simpsons and He tells Homer to fill a silo full of pig crap and homer dumps it in the water. Actually God told him to build an ark but he misheard him. When the town finds out they hang homer. Lisa gets a boyfriend." :wink:

I can't stand Adult Swim. I miss the old days when cartoons were actually good and drawn good unlike the shit on Adult Swim and Cartoon Network. Fuck them all.

LemonMelon said:
Is Futurama supposed to be funny? :eyebrow: I've only laughed a handful of times in the 10 or so episodes I've seen. Heck, Family Guy is funnier, IMO...and that's not saying much.

No wonder you're on a U2 website, you have no taste.

(Although you're right about American Dad.....a rare miss from the creators of Family Guy)

Fact - The only good cartoons are :

Futurama - all - brilliant story driven comedy and the characters are very well developed.

Simpsons - 1992 - 1999. Anything after 1999 is absolutely embarrassing to watch as Matt Groening was focusing on Futurama. They destoyed all the characters completely by making them say totally out of character lines and doing 'crazy whacky' things to get a shock value. They tried to incororate more pop culture references and jokes after 1999 in a smilar fashion to Family Guy but failed miserably because the writers simply have no talent.

Family Guy - all - the most consistently funny show i've seen. The interchangable random jokes may have no place in the story, but who cares, as long as it's funny it doesn't matter.

American Dad - all - always consistently funny

South Park - all

Fact: nothing Family Guy has ever done can match the almost absurd awesomeness of seasons 4-7 of the Simpsons. It's simply never happened. And it never will; Family Guy is atrocious now. Has anyone here seen the episode where Lois runs for mayor? Damn.

At least Futurama has storylines and likable characters that aren't horrible ripoffs of much stronger characters of old.

If you want humor these days, watch Scrubs, The Office, or Simpsons & Seinfeld reruns. :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom