Bono and the guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foxxern

Refugee
How long has he been playing it? Seems the earliest shows I remember seeing him with a guitar are the Joshua Tree tour ones. He's got one during WOWY in the R&H movie too, but maybe he started earlier than that even. I thought I heard somewhere that he started playing during a few gigs of the UF tour. As far as I know, he didn't know any guitar at all when they first started up, so it probably took him a while to get comfortable playing in front of all those people. But I guess he had a pretty damn good teacher in Edge.

Of course nowadays he can play by himself, as evidenced by his solo performances of One a few years ago. Those were beautiful.

------------------
Change is the only constant

If you have heard that rather dreaded song called "New Day", Bono plays a guitar solo during the bridge and I thought it was damn fine.I dont know if he performed it or not, but in the video, Bono was shown playing that part.But overall I think he just holds the guitar to feel like a rock n roll star.I think he should develop the skill, then we can have more lose The Edge, just like The Edge now a days compliements Bono in singing.eg that tenor-ish Daaay and that lovely falsetto on Stuck.

However said that, he is a decent guitar player, some parts of the Kite,Unchained Melody live,Staring at the Sun (POPmart) are proof of this.But there is always a room for improvement.

------------------
In this Ozland

He also plays on Under a Blood Red Sky video,can't remember the song though.

------------------
In this Ozland

For you...A Day Without Me

------------------
Lately I'm sure, words won't implore you to stay

His guitar sounds terrible at times during the JT tour and some bootlegs from Popmart he really screws up badly....During Gone from Elevation you can't even hear it!!, He's just got it for show mostly!
But he does a good job sometimes...especially acoustically

Originally posted by pub crawler:
I honestly think the Edge secretly has a tech turn off B's amp just before every performance.

I must admit in the Elevation DVD you see Bono playing, but you rarely hear anything distinct.

Originally posted by madonna's child:
I must admit in the Elevation DVD you see Bono playing, but you rarely hear anything distinct.

At the very end of Kite, it's just Bono and his guitar, and you can hear him play. Rather it's good or not, I'm not a very good judge.

[This message has been edited by dipster (edited 04-26-2002).]

Well, its hard for him to compete with Edge in concert. No point in trying to steal any of his thunder. But it at least looks cool on him.

------------------

Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
I think I remember reading that Bono claimed to be able to play guitar at the first meeting in Larry's kitchen, but he didn't have one, so the duties went to Dave.

Yeah, on the AB video, Larry says something like "Bono said he could play guitar, but he didn't have one." That had to be kinda sticky.

------------------

Originally posted by dipster:

At the very end of Kite, it's just Bono and his guitar, and you can hear him play. Rather it's good or not, I'm not a very good judge.

[This message has been edited by dipster (edited 04-26-2002).]

Indeed he does, and it is good. But most of the time, you can't really hear him.

Like (and I'm not a good observer) but at the Grammys, Bono stopped playing at the end and I couldn't hear a significant difference between the sound of that performance and the sound from the tour.

you can see and hear bono playing his guitar on gone(elevation dvd) at the end that ching ching noise.you can see edge waiting for him but bono turns his back to the camera then edge playes the same thing and he gets mad at his guitar and all hell breaks loose.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES
i dont want to be a pinhead no more.

Back
Top Bottom