Bono and Nobel Peace Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ms. M

The Fly
Not sure where to post this but...

Bono Gets Nobel Peace Prize Nod :applaud:

Fri Feb 18, 7:35 PM ET

So this is what happens when you title an album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

U2's Bono, whose trophy case is packed with Grammys and even a Golden Globe, is up for another award that may render all the rest quaint: the Nobel Peace Prize.

The rocker, who in his spare time champions Third World debt relief, AIDS awareness and increased action in Sudan's troubled Darfur region, is one of the 166 nominees for this year's honor.

The Irish-born singer, last seen at Sunday's Grammy Awards collecting two statuettes and participating in the all-star version of "Across the Universe" benefiting tsunami victims, regularly travels around the world meeting with diplomats and heads of state to push his pet causes.

"I believe a fundamental human right is the ability to start again, to break free from the sins of the father," Bono told reporters on a 2002 trip to Africa with former U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, in which he crusaded for debt forgiveness.

"If people are brave and bold enough to begin a new relationship with [impoverished nations], there will be popular support."

This is the second time Bono has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. He was also in contention in 2003.

The prestigious honor will be announced in October and presented in Norway on Dec. 10. The prize, given out since 1901, includes a cash award worth nearly $1.5 million.

The Nobel Peace prize is traditionally given to those who pursue humanitarian work and/or human-rights advocacy. Past winners include Mother Teresa, Jimmy Carter and Nelson Mandela. Last year's winner was Wangari Maathai, an environmentalist from Kenya.

Bono and some of the other leaked nominees--like Indian sitar master and Norah Jones' father Ravi Shankar, Pope John Paul II and former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell--aren't considered to be among the top contenders. The prize is expected to go to an individual or group in Asia, especially in the wake of the unprecedented tsunami disaster.

Nobel Peace Prize nominations can be made by thousands of people worldwide, ranging from heads of state and parliamentarians to university professors to members of international law courts to previous winners. The ultimate decision will be made by a five-person panel.

While he awaits word from the Nobel folks, Bono and his bandmates will be plenty busy. U2 will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Mar. 14 and, two week later, kick off their Vertigo Tour in Florida.

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/eo/20050218/110878410000.html

:applaud:

While Bono is a deserving candidate, he won't win because his work is not yet done. I think when DATA is going in full force and AIDS is actually dramatically reduced in Africa, and an open trade policy is in place, THEN he will win. Right now he's worked hard at getting debts dropped - but there's a LOT more that needs to be done. So it's too premature to give Bono the award just yet. I'd say in about 5 years he should receive it.

Of course, if Bono were to win, the good thing is that he'd probably donate the entire prize right back to DATA or other charities. Not all Nobel prize winners are as generous.

The Pope won't get it. What has he actually done? Can't do much when you're ill ...

doctorwho said:
While Bono is a deserving candidate, he won't win because his work is not yet done. I think when DATA is going in full force and AIDS is actually dramatically reduced in Africa, and an open trade policy is in place, THEN he will win. Right now he's worked hard at getting debts dropped - but there's a LOT more that needs to be done. So it's too premature to give Bono the award just yet. I'd say in about 5 years he should receive it.

Of course, if Bono were to win, the good thing is that he'd probably donate the entire prize right back to DATA or other charities. Not all Nobel prize winners are as generous.

I agree with doctorwho - Bono will win it when his work is done. :yes:

Actually there is one rumor out there that the Pope won't get it. It's believed that the Nobel committee doesn't care for his moral views, birth control in particular. I think he would be a very deserving recipient myself, and no, it's not because I'm Catholic. It's because of his role in liberating his native Poland and the rest of the former Warsaw Pact countries. I remember when that was going on. It was the only time in my life that I ever actually enjoyed turning on the news. Bono will get it when he's closer to his goal or has actually arrived. He will, too!

doctorwho said:
I'd say in about 5 years he should receive it.

I still think five years is too soon. Ten might even be pushing it. I would think U2 would have to be retired (at least from touring) for several years so that Bono could dedicate himself full time for several years. I agree that there haven't been enough results yet for him to win it this year. But the fact that he's been nominated for three years is really cool.

Ms. M said:

Nobel Peace Prize nominations can be made by.... professors.

Cool! So even I can nominate Bono!

Kicking the tour off in Florida? Yeah, right.

By the way, does anyone know were they are rehearsing right now? The location seems to be a very closely-kept secret.

Last edited:
Let's be honest! Bono's work will never be totally done, as many people who's been on the same hard line as him. But we all hope that Bono makes some points of what he's supposed to do.
In my opinion, in 10 or 15 years we will get the Nobel Prize

Actually, Bono was nominated as far back as 2002 for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Here is a link to an article that I did on Bono and the Nobel peace Prize almost two years ago:

http://forum.interference.com/t81688.html

Bono WILL WIN the Nobel Peace Prize one day - for all the right reasons.

He completely deserves the award because he has conferred "the greatest benefit on mankind" with his music and his humanitarian activities.

BONO IS SIMPLY THE BEST....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Heh. Am I the only one reading the title of the thread as "Barnes and Noble Peace Prize"? :lol:

But yeah, I don't think Bono will be seriously considered for a Nobel Peace Prize until some more time has passed and he doesn't have the "famous rock star" thing going on as much. Because, to me at least, the words "rock star" and "Nobel Peace Prize" don't really mix. :huh:

He is Bono, however, so anything's possible. :wink:

ok I saw this article and two mistakes made in it. One, U2 won 3 grammys not 2 and they said that U2 is kicking off the tour in Miami on the 1st of March. Hello, hello OLD NEWS..AND INFO DUH!:mad:

Originally posted by doctorwho:
While Bono is a deserving candidate, he won't win because his work is not yet done. I think when DATA is going in full force and AIDS is actually dramatically reduced in Africa, and an open trade policy is in place, THEN he will win. Right now he's worked hard at getting debts dropped - but there's a LOT more that needs to be done. So it's too premature to give Bono the award just yet. I'd say in about 5 years he should receive it

yea, i would agree on that, b/c there is a lot that Bono must complete, before he can get it, but i think as long as he continues to work as hard as he is now, he should definately get it by the year 2010, or as early as 2009. But i wouldn't mind seeing him walk away with it now, because Bono is a very kind and generouse person, who has always did everything he could to help those that are les furtunate than him. That's a quality you don't see in many younge rock stars today, yet Bono surpasses that sterotype. He is truly a great man.

Last edited:
I posted this in the News section, but it seems more appropriate here... sorry.

It's hard to know where the status is on these issues. Did Bono actually get people to drop the debt? How many countries finally contributed? It's confusing b/c you hear that Clinton, Bush both approved of dropping the debt, but that Congress had to approve it. Did this happen?

There's a lot of talk about what's been "accomplished" (maybe too much talk? meh-heh-heh), but I know that I for one am still not clear on what has ACTUALLY been done. (For example, the US has earmarked billions for Africa, but I gather it hasn't been paid out yet.)

What has actually been done? Has money been raised for Africa, or is it all still rhetoric? Can any Interference'rs say with real authority? Is Bono still trying to round up promises from a few years ago, or has he collected on those and is just still beating the drum b/c there is more to be done?

Trying to educate my mind.

Back
Top Bottom