Bono and his brother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dano

The Fly
Today, I was watching U2 Jammed and thinking about the fact that Bono has now written music about his mother and father and frequently mentioned them at different times in interviews throughout his career.

That made me think, I've read a lot of stuff the man has had to say but he never mentions his brother. I almost forgot he had one. I think his name is Norman or something like that. Do we know much about that relationship? What do you all think?

Mm... that song more than likely refers to Christ (Lover=Holy Spirit, brother= Christ, Father= God the Father)

But, I suppose since Bono does the dual layer thing, it may work. Nevertheless, I think it's primarily a trinity thing

david said:
he got the title of running to stand still from his brother.

I did not know that. It just seems so strange to me that you never hear any mention of him attending events with or for members of U2. Maybe he doesn't enjoy the spotlight? Maybe they don't get along. Its just very curious to me because he's always been so vocal about his relationships with his parents.

the story goes that bono was talking to his broher and his brother was talking to him about his computer business, and his brother said something along the lines of "it feels like i am running to stand still."

Last edited:
I am bemused as to why anyone would want to know about Bono's relationship with his brother or anyone for that matter!!!I mean, is it our business, stuff like this ...? Do any of us even know the "real" Bono...? I find all this talk about Bono+Ali/his dad/mother/children/Auntie Aggie a bit weird...:coocoo:

I did som research on the net..

Restaurant Tosca

20 Suffolk Street, Dublin 2. Tel: 6796744 Incredibly interesting modern interior, Tosca's offers southern European cuisine and a good wine list. Owned by Bono's brother.

I think Norman was born in 1952. From what I've read, they did not get along that well in their younger days and once even threw knives at each other. I'm sure they're great friends now.

Here's a pic from 2002. The woman is no relation.

bonosbrothernorm-vi.jpg

BTW, this is what Bono's hair would look like if he didn't dye it :uhoh: Dye! :up: :love:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
I think Norman was born in 1952. From what I've read, they did not get along that well in their younger days and once even threw knives at each other. I'm sure they're great friends now.

:ohmy:
:lol:

oh to have been a fly on the wall in the Hewson household in the 70's.

I'm sure they are much closer now after the passing of their da.

Norman manages (owns?) the restaurant NUDE in Dublin and there are many books and mag articles from the 80s and 90s that go unto Bono's and his brother's relationship a bit. :wink:

Still, theirs has always been a very private relationship so anything we will ever know about it may be a bit speculative.

Better to leave it alone and wish them both well.

SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I somehow can't picture his brother singing "MOFO".

His brother was the chef in the The Sweetest Thing video. A quick shot of his face that you have to look for.

Methinks that Tosca is out of biz or has another owner. There are actually two Nudes (at least there were the last time I was in Dublin). Very supportive of locally grown organic produce which is a very cool ting. Actually, have photos of local farmers and their produce, like apples from Wicklow. Very, very cool.

Yep, I believe he was in the Sweetest Thing video too. I think he was even in the chef's hat or something!

Back
Top Bottom