Bono and Edge play suprise gig in London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miricale_Drug said:
sadly 27/4 will never turn up

I was there and snuck in a digital camera and took several shots. I don't see why some couldn't have snuck in an audio recorder, even if they did thorough body searches and made everyone "coatcheck" their cellphones.

u2fp

Only Bono and Edge in london? Wonder if Larry and Adam read this forum......paniced and turned up in San Fransisco for the alleged gig u2 were gonna be playing yesterday:wink:

^ One of the articles says Adam was there as well and watched from a balcony. Bono even joked about Adam and Larry not knowing that he and Edge are performing Wave of Sorrow and then suddenly said: Oh, Adam is here!

Great great news today.

These pictures are from U2.com, looks like screens from a video recording(they usaly get a littlle blurred).

unionchapel1.jpg
unionchapel2.jpg

Axver said:

We're still missing some from Vertigo, one from Popmart (Lisbon), some ZooTV (I know for sure that Brisbane has never turned up).

:sigh: Vertigo Toronto with Discothéque played...

will we ever see that vid?

:drool: Stay live accoustic... I can't wait to hear how that sounded... hope we'll get to hear/see this soon!

My parents have have been involved with Mencap for over 20 years because of my older brother.
They'll be very delighted to read this :rockon:

Peterrrrr said:
These pictures are from U2.com, looks like screens from a video recording(they usaly get a littlle blurred).

unionchapel1.jpg
unionchapel2.jpg

:hmm: DVD on the special edition with the next album ? DVD on the Bomb remaster ?

U2FanPeter said:

I was there and snuck in a digital camera and took several shots. I don't see why some couldn't have snuck in an audio recorder, even if they did thorough body searches and made everyone "coatcheck" their cellphones.

u2fp

You were there? Tell us about it details please!

U2FanPeter said:

u2fp

Maybe not a question people except from me :), but how was he voice? Did he hit the high "waaaaaaave" note in Wave of sorrow? :)

Damn. So cool. :drool:

So much to stuff to be psyched about here! Glad to see WOS played and apparently impressing the crowd! Great set, must've sounded awesome acoustic. And shadesless Bono :wahoo:

There's got to be a recording..... It seems like it was a benefit concert or something, so I wouldn't doubt that it was recorded somehow. And yeah, I agree---those shots from u2.com look like video screencaps...:hmm:

Peterrrrr said:

Maybe not a question people except from me :), but how was he voice? Did he hit the high "waaaaaaave" note in Wave of sorrow? :)

I think u2fp meant he was at the 27/4 show with the Hokey Pokey, not last night's show.

Last edited:
Surprise U2 charity gig wows fans

Bono and The Edge played one 1987 track live for the first time
Bono and The Edge of rock superstars U2 delighted fans when they made a surprise appearance at a charity gig.
The Irish pair played an unannounced four-song set, before just 250 people, for Mencap's Little Noise Sessions at the Union Chapel, in north London.

Referring to their bandmates, Bono joked: "Don't tell Larry (Mullen) and Adam (Clayton) we've done this."

BBC Radio 1 DJ Jo Whiley, the event's curator, said the multi-million-selling duo "were actually nervous beforehand".

Whiley, who has helped curate a number of shows to raise funds for Mencap added: "Seeing them in a situation like this, in a tiny chapel, makes people realise just how great they are - worthy of all the praise they get."

Joshua Tree

The crowd were told about some "very special guests" by organisers, but had no idea who it would be until they walked out on stage.

"The singer, Paul, is a shy guy, so please be gentle with him," Whiley told the crowd, before Bono and The Edge - real names Paul Hewson and Dave Evans - appeared.

They opened their set with Stay, moving on to Desire and Angel Of Harlem.

Their closing track was a first-time performance for the song Wave Of Sorrow - a track originally written for their 1987 album Joshua Tree.

Both men left the stage to a standing ovation.

"After they came off stage, Bono was asking me if they'd been OK and they were also wondering whether the 'new' song had gone down well," Whiley said.

The pair acted as the first warm-up act for Biffy Clyro.

Rumours

Fan Simon Dowling, 20, from Newcastle, said: "I was here for Biffy Clyro. We turned up at 5 o'clock outside and got rumours it was Bono and the Edge and we were like, 'that can't be true'.

"I've used all the battery on my phone taking pictures of them."

Biffy Clyro singer Simon Neil said he had found out only on Friday morning that Bono and The Edge were to perform.

"We got to meet them earlier and they were very kind. They actually apologised to us for jumping on our show which obviously, you know, is incredibly polite," he said.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

kassandra said:

The crowd were told about some "very special guests" by organisers, but had no idea who it would be until they walked out on stage.

Can you imagine being there, not expecting this :ohmy:

Peterrrrr said:

Wooooooooow! He realy did a amazing job on Desire! :drool: There have been alot of discussion about that Bono dosnt scream anymore when he sings, but this one, wow! It blowed away every ZooTV version of Desire, so this one was closer to the original then the ZooTV one, this show how good Bono's voice is now!

He didnt sang the "Waaaaaaave" note exaclty like on the studio version, but he holded it for 8-9 seconds.

Last edited:
WOOOOOOOOAAAA

Desire is in NATURAL KEY!!!

every live version ever is always half a tone down... for practically every song, except last tour for Vertigo, BD, Mysterious Ways (3rd leg on)

he NAILS the "OH SISTER" part.

:O "Never tears us apart" snippet :love:

Peter, thank you so much for the link! AMAZING performances, Bono's voice is awsome, I love his passion!

I hope Stay and AOH will appear as well sooner or later.

Whoa, what a great version of Desire, Bono really going for the 'Oh Sister I can't let you go' lines, he hasn't really tried to belt them in years.

Back
Top Bottom