Bono and Edge Kodak Moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
During the R&R Hall of Fame Ceremony, Bono said that he had a Kodak moment with The Edge in 1982 during a concert when the band got into a fight. I've never heard of this..does anyone know the details of this story? Thank You

I know the 'Kodak moment' he's referencing.

Bono was in the middle of the set when he took a break between songs to drink a bottle of Coke. Seeing Bono enjoying his, the Edge felt like drinking the bottle of Coke he had set aside as well. He reached down to grab it and realized it was gone! Bono was drinking his bottle of Coke!

Thirsty and enraged, Edge went over to try and snatch his Coke back from Bono. Confused and also quite thirsty, Bono resisted. The crowd cheered and screamed, and it looked like the two boys were going to come to blows.

But then, from behind the drumset, Larry said,

"Hey Edge, lookin' for this?"

And he lifted up a frosty bottle of Coke. That trickster Larry had hidden it all along! Adam, who had been combing his fro with a pick, looked at the three of them, shook his head, and smiled. Edge and Bono let go of each other's shirt collars and, after a pause, laughed hysterically.

Edge then proceeded to quench his thirst with the ice-cold Coca Cola as Bono sang a rousing acapella rendition of 'I Threw A Brick Through A Window.'

Last edited:
I was going more for 'corny and cheesy' like those actual Kodak commercials that are really sappy, or like those Coca Cola commercials from a few years back, that had like those 'Hallmark moments.' Like the one where the kids would be on a subway train after a concert and they'd all just kind of sit there and bask in the glory of youth, and then one of the kids would talk in voice-over about how great having friends was, and then he'd take a sip of his Coke and that would be the entire commercial. I tried to write the story as cheesetastic as possible, but maybe I didn't go far enough?

Oh no, the reason it was hilarious was due to cheesiness. You did well.

Haha, whoops. I thought when you said:

Hilarious.

That you were being sarcastic. It's hard to tell online, without the benefits of inflection or intonation. :)

-Miggy D

One thing I found in New Haven - close enough to 1982
From u2 live -
November 15, 1981 - New Haven, CT, Toad's Place

At the end of the 2nd version of 11 O'Clock, Bono throws hie microphone at Larry as is said to have charged at Larry's drum kit, angry as he was with Larry missing a cue or beat. U2 leave frustrated right after, dropping the closing the Ocean but return to play I Will Follow one more time.

Infinitum98 said:
During the R&R Hall of Fame Ceremony, Bono said that he had a Kodak moment with The Edge in 1982 during a concert when the band got into a fight. I've never heard of this..does anyone know the details of this story? Thank You

I remember years & years ago reading about what exactly happened. I just can't remember the story. Damn it.
I know it did end with Edge punching Bono.

I remember another Edge story where he hit a bouncer with a guitar because he was roughing up the crowd.

Re: Re: Bono and Edge Kodak Moment

Celticfc said:

I remember years & years ago reading about what exactly happened. I just can't remember the story. Damn it.

I remember another Edge story where he hit a bouncer with a guitar because he was roughing up the crowd.

Really!? WHAT story is that?

Re: Re: Bono and Edge Kodak Moment

Celticfc said:

You can find it in the "Unforgettable Fire" biography. It also said that Pod (one of the Lypton Villagers) ended up breaking Bono and the Edge apart.

Now... let's see, if I were Jick...

Based on this minimal evidence of people's failing memories, it's clear where Edge's loyalty lies. Bono was mad at Larry - clearly indicating that even then Bono's ego was so big that he felt he never made a mistake and had every right to throw things at Larry for his token mistake. Edge, who obviously had a major non-sexual crush on Larry, came to his rescue, by beating Bono to a pulp. Adam, meanwhile, was hitting on a babe at the bar.

Based on this, it's clear that Bono has always been the outsider of the group and that it's really Edge and Larry who are close. As such, we should expect that any day now, Bono will drop out of U2. By bringing up this old story, Bono has reminded everyone of their true feelings. I anticipate Edge and Larry to form their own band and Adam to resume his womanizing ways. Bono will, naturally, perform in Vegas.

Of course, this is only true if I were Jick. :wink:

It's in the Unforgettable Fire book, page 218.

In a nutshell, U2 were in New Haven, CT. everybody was ina tense, tired mood - y'know, too much time traveling together, everybody kind of getting on each other's nerves.

So they are playing, and Bono is kind f cranky all night, and then the beat of the song gets totally messed up. Well, Larry's snare stand broke. But Bono could not see from where he was standing - he only knew Larry had stopped playing. He turned and glared at Larry, and Larry kind of smiled and shrugged like "oops!" - well, Bono being an a mood thought Larry stopped playing just to be a brat.

So he lunged at him. Larry dived off the back of the drum riser. Bono kicked the drums over, having a tantrum. The audience was all psyched and cheering - they seemed to think this was all a part of the show!

Anyway, Larry runs off, Bono goes racing after him. Edge calmly reaches out, grabs Bono by his hair, pulls him back and punchees him in the face. (The actual punch in the face is mentioned in another book...that one I'd have to go search for... where Bono says "He gave me a dig in the mouth - he's usually so quiet, I never suspected...but it was a really really good dig in the mouth, and the nose!")

So Pod (roadie and friend from Lypton Village/Virgin Prunes) broke the fight up, and then Bono was all wracked with gulit and was feeling bad, so he disappeared all night to go and walk, and then came back in the AM and apologized. The rest of the band laughed and blamed the snare stand,and made up.

It is one of those things it'd be sort of interesting and kind of funny to see on video, but I have never heard of one being out there of the Hartford show.

Ok, I just wanted to share the story. Thanks! :):)

Jenny(HowthGirl)

U2Girl1978 said:
Oh wow that's hilarious HowthGirl. Thanks for that. :)

You're welcome! I always thought it was a great story!

Hell, I think about traveling with my best friend, even for short stints - and how much we would want to kill each other after too much togetherness. Yeah, best friends, but when you have to live with somebody...it can get ugly! LOL!

Especially when you're like 20 (as U2 were then) and you aren't quite as mellow as you get in your 30's ;) God - I hope I am more mellow now than I was at 20!

So anyway, that story was always a fave as it highlights that the same "We have been together so much that you are making me NUTS!" syndrome happened to U2 as well :)

Love,

HowthGirl

Thanks for sharing the story, HowthGirl-that's a funny little story. And the end of the story's a mature one-Bono apologized for what he did, the rest of the band forgave him and understood, and life went on. Very cool :up:.

I can understand the whole thing of being together so long that you start to get on each other's nerves-my family's certainly had that happen before, and I'm sure every other person here's experienced that with people they live with, too. But they also know that they'd be lost without each other, too, so they're willing to put up with the occasional irritations.

Angela

So that's what he was referencing in this article from Vanity Fair a few months ago?

"October 26, 1984, Paris, France: The day after seeing U2 perform at the large Espace Ballard, I arrive at the Warwick Hotel an hour late for my interview with Bono. He is barely awake, wearing a peach-colored terry-cloth bathrobe and, clearly, nothing underneath. I forgot to bring a cassette, so we go down the hall to borrow one from Edge, who is in his room, also wearing a peach-colored terry-cloth robe. I tell them they look like members of a cult. Edge gives me a tape of the band's sound check the night before, and I record the interview over it. (Years late, reading my notes, I realize, big mistake.) I point out to Bono that he's not doing all that flag-waving and hanging off of things onstage as much as he used to, and he says, "I find the greater the crowd, the greater the charge, but adrenaline can get me into trouble. One night I threw Larry's drum kit into the audience, and it came to blows with the band that night. Edge actually socked me in the jaw, and you know him, he's a real gentleman. If things go bad, everyone will be silent on the way back to the hotel and then there'll be a phone call from Adam, he's the diplomat, and he'll say, 'Can we have a word with you?' I'll have to go down there and face the firing squad. They'll just say, 'Come on -- you don't have to do this; you must keep control of this thing.' It's supportive; they know that if I fall off the stage I'll break some bones. They tell me the music should speak for itself.".--Vanity Fair, October 25, 2004

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
Now... let's see, if I were Jick...

Based on this, it's clear that Bono has always been the outsider of the group and that it's really Edge and Larry who are close. As such, we should expect that any day now, Bono will drop out of U2. By bringing up this old story, Bono has reminded everyone of their true feelings. I anticipate Edge and Larry to form their own band and Adam to resume his womanizing ways. Bono will, naturally, perform in Vegas.

Of course, this is only true if I were Jick. :wink:

Brilliant. Best thread in ages.

Brilliant. Best thread in ages. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well thank you...I feel honored, cuz i started the thread lol

I really enjoyed the "cheezy" story, as well as the "Jickish" interpretation...

:happy:

...But, at the risk of sounding like an incurable Pollyanna, I have to wonder why, out of 25 years, Bono chose to relate a story about Edge punching him in the nose?

It's a good story, no doubt, but weren't there hundreds of other "Kodak moments" that would have demonstrated the kind of similar connection Bono described in regard to Adam and Larry?

Please don't jump me, I'm just looking for a little insight.

PopDaisy

:bow: :bono: :edge: :larry: :adam:

Back
Top Bottom