Bono and Edge just got burnt by Jon Stewart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
riteshbhatt1 said:
I wish I saw this. I love TJSS. "Zell on Earth" was the funniest thing I've seen this year!
That was the funniest thing that I've seen also
but on crossfire - ahhh Jon Stewart:)
I've heard he is a fan - I'm not too concerned about a, as drwho said, a lame joke
Comedy Central repeats the previous night's show at 6PM central time so you should be able to catch it this evening

The transcript does not do it justice.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831

Relating more to the thread title, I was pissed when he made that joke. But he is too funny to be pissed at for long. And then I learned he is a U2 fan, so it's all good.

Last edited:
He's definitely not the first one to pull that line, and I'm pretty sure people have said it much more mean-spiritedly in the past... :shrug:

BluRmGrl said:

Although their deaths have greatly curtailed their concert appearances......

:reject: Sorry - the smart ass in me just couldn't resist that!!!
:happy:

What?!?!? They're dead!!!!!!! When did this happen???

Haha...I knew I was going to get that from somebody.

I'm at least glad to know their music hasn't died. And neither will U2's no matter how many people make fun of them.

Jon Stewart's a U2 fan actually. He's said that in the past, and it sounds like a fan joke to me...I mean, the man says disparaging jokes about Jews and comics and his own television career...I wouldn't take offense at anything he says.

I know I have seen or read somewhere that Jon Stewart thinks Bono is an incredibly cool guy, I just can't remember where.

Anyway, seeing as he's a fan, I don't think it's a big deal that he made the SBS crack. I just wish he could have come up with something funnier or more original. Jon's usually more on the ball than that.

Also, I'd rather see Bono on The Daily Show than The West Wing. The Daily Show is funny and cool, and The West Wing is stuffy, boring and pretentious.

One thing that struck me when I saw Stewart deliver that joke was the mixed reaction of the audience...some laughed, but some were murmuring and sounded like they were about to boo, so maybe the Daily Show's audience has some U2 fans as well.

Yes!! I thought I noticed the same reaction, but was unsure if it really happened or if I was just biased in favor of U2.

Jon makes fun of Bono in the Daily Show book, too. (if someone said this, I apologize. I didn't read the whole thread...) They have this game board about the presidency and one the spots on the board is "Meet with Bono to talk about Africa, move ahead a space.... on second thought, move back three spaces."

I love Jon Stewart though. The Daily Show is the only thing I consistently watch on tv. And I love how blatantly liberal the show has gotten since the election.

Ben Stiller used to have show on Fox back in 92 or 93, it lasted one year and it was brilliant. He actually won an emmy for writing for his one and only year.

Anyhow, as many of you know he had about 4 or 5 U2 skits in that one year alone. And in any one of them you could say that we was blatantly making fun of U2.

But two things:
1- It was downright hilarious
2- He is a huge U2 fan, that's why he was spoofing them
The ZooTV lloung is killer , you sides will split from laughing. I'm sure it's available somewhere, although I am sure a lot of you have seen them.

Also, Jon Stewart as someone already pointed out hosted the Grammy's the year U2 performed and won like 36 of them and I saw him on ET or some show and he was asked who he was most excited to see "U2" of course.

He's a fan, lay off him. 99% chance one of his writers wrote the line anyways.

U2DMfan said:
He's a fan, lay off him. 99% chance one of his writers wrote the line anyways.
Also a 99% chance that I'd love to kick his writers in the crotch. Argh... I'll forgive the guy one of these days.

Goddamnit. And The Daily Show used to be my favourites show on TV, too! what a let down. buh bye jonny boy.

I heard someone from the Daily Show say that the thing they hate the most is when they tell a political joke and all they get is applause or yells of approval with no laughs, because that means that the joke was really just a bald-faced political opinion.

In other words, they may be liberal, but what they really want more than anything is laughs, not pushing an ideology.

Back
Top Bottom