Bono and Edge do Spider-Man musical!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ahittle said:
Just say it to yourself a few times.

Spiderman: The Musical

Just sounds like a dumb idea. You just know Larry has a bad feeling about this...

Luckily it doesn't matter what he thinks because he's not involved with it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Maybe you need to expand your horizons, because Elton John is one of the greatest songwriters we have.

I was thinking of Disney-soundtrack Elton (extra terrible) not was-great-30-years-ago Elton (pretty amazing).

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well if that's the case then his/ her comment is even more ignorant.

What? What I mean is, I read "the Elton John set" as a short hand description for a demographic, not a comment on his songwriting ability.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Nothing about Spiderman says jazzy to me.
Who says there can't be some jazz in Spider-Man? Personally, I could definately see lots of loud, clanging brass in the mix. And as for strings, well, I think that would speak for itself...

Also, Michael Buble did one hell of a jazz rendition of the original Spider-Man theme.

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:

What? What I mean is, I read "the Elton John set" as a short hand description for a demographic, not a comment on his songwriting ability.

Well that was my original point... Good music spans over demographics. Now if they had said the Celine Dion crowd that would have been another statement all together.

Catman said:

Who says there can't be some jazz in Spider-Man? Personally, I could definately see lots of loud, clanging brass in the mix. And as for strings, well, I think that would speak for itself...

Also, Michael Buble did one hell of a jazz rendition of the original Spider-Man theme.

I'm not saying there can't be, I'm just saying nothing about Spider-Man(sticking to the original story and characters) says jazz to ME, that's all I'm saying...

ahittle said:

I was thinking of Disney-soundtrack Elton (extra terrible) not was-great-30-years-ago Elton (pretty amazing).

Ok, but you still come off sounding a little confused as to what musicals are and can be. No one said anything about Disney like musical...

Have you ever seen Rent, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Miss Saigon, Cabaret etc on the stage? Not exactly Disney audience.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well that was my original point... Good music spans over demographics. Now if they had said the Celine Dion crowd that would have been another statement all together.

Why? They're almost the exact same demographic (we are talking musical writing Elton John here remember). Anyway, you're talking about making great music that naturally crosses demographic boundaries, while ahittle is talking about specificaly aiming music towards a particular demographic - in this case the older, 'adult contemporary' demographic that laps that shit up.

Anyway, I don't think that will be a problem in this case - Spiderman as a brand/subject matter does not lend itself to a huge crossover anyway. I don't think there's any threat of U2 going for a big "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" or "My Heart Will Go On" cheese-tastic moment over this.

I'm in two minds overall about this. I've been saying for years that I really wanted U2 to do a side project of some sort where they are able to release a bit more of their creative side, seeing as their on-album work at the moment is being done to such a formula. Something like a soundtrack would be perfect. This, of course, could be that to some degree. I just really want them to do something with some depth to go alongside the light and soft and shallow stuff they are choosing to do for their albums.

Not so buzzed over some of the kind of songs necessary in musicals, and U2 doing them, and the fact that it is of course kinda tacky, being just another arm of Spiderman money making and all.

Maybe the reports are overblowing their role. They could of course write one killer song for it, kind of as a theme, and that tune/riff/whatever could be used and stretched out as a theme throughout the whole thing, as often happens in musicals (and film scores).

Honestly, despite the "pop/rock" vocal descriptions in the casting call, I'm expecting something a bit more...tribal? Certainly off the beaten path. Look at the other roles being cast (besides the expected comic characters):

A spider (dark) goddess archtype?

A g(r)eek chorus?

Sounds like Taymor is taking a very different approach to the material than the comics or movies, and we may in fact hear some of the lyrical themes from the AB era infused with some sort of African/Mediterranean musical influences.

I mean, if I'm gonna blow smoke out of my ass over something none of us have any clue about, I can at least be positive, right?

(BTW, Taymor's stage version of the Lion King could not be further from the Elton John musical if the fate of mankind depended on it. It's almost a post-modern unraveling of the LSD-infused dreams of the folk who made the movie.)

Hopefully this will have the same effect on their next album as their work on A Clockwork Orange had on AB.
It's great to see them doing different musical projects, it's getting them in shape and fresh for their next album!! :drool: :drool:

a bit off topic, but still related:

Does anyone here extremely curious about the complete score of the clock orange?

It's unbelievable that it has never appeared on the internet or in any other forms, except the single track we got as a b-side.:(

Earnie Shavers said:

Why? They're almost the exact same demographic (we are talking musical writing Elton John here remember). Anyway, you're talking about making great music that naturally crosses demographic boundaries, while ahittle is talking about specificaly aiming music towards a particular demographic - in this case the older, 'adult contemporary' demographic that laps that shit up.

How many stage musicals has Elton John written the music for? And like I said before Rent and Sound of Music have different demographics. It doesn't seem like you or ahlittle are getting that, maybe you haven't seen a lot of musical in your time.
Earnie Shavers said:

Anyway, I don't think that will be a problem in this case - Spiderman as a brand/subject matter does not lend itself to a huge crossover anyway. I don't think there's any threat of U2 going for a big "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" or "My Heart Will Go On" cheese-tastic moment over this.

I'm not sure why you are questioning me if you answered the question on your own?!

butter7 said:
a bit off topic, but still related:

Does anyone here extremely curious about the complete score of the clock orange?

It's unbelievable that it has never appeared on the internet or in any other forms, except the single track we got as a b-side.:(

It was never confirmed that they completed the score.

I really don't like the idea. I don't know any good musical - the idea of Spiderman singing love songs makes me sick...

I guess some of the comments have illustrated my concerns. Spiderman is a huge brand, and I can't see anyone initiating a musical without huge profits in mind.

This is not going to be edgy off-broadway stuff. It's going to aim squarely for the mainstream - the same folks going to see the Producers or Rent. Not judging there.

I know you were being facetious, but it is exactly my fear that the boys will be asked to produce a "Do You Feel the Love Tonight?" A whole musical full of HMTMKMKM would be stellar, but, let's face it, producers are going to want some schlock.

I don't mean to insult anyone, and I guess it comes down to taste. I can't think of a single musical that I enjoy that has been produced in the rock era. (I guess Bernstein squeaked in there, but West Side Story is hardly influenced by "rock" music.) Maybe some silly period stuff, but a dramatic modern musical? Not for me.

If you dig, that's cool. After all, it's just musical opinion.

ahittle said:

This is not going to be edgy off-broadway stuff. It's going to aim squarely for the mainstream - the same folks going to see the Producers or Rent. Not judging there.

Rent was completely rejected by the mainstream when it first came out.

But why only Bono and The Edge?
I would support it if that would be a U2 project, not a side project.

I wouldn't mind to see the album postponed because of a U2 album like this. Now... this?...:no:

Aygo said:
But why only Bono and The Edge?
I would support it if that would be a U2 project, not a side project.

I wouldn't mind to see the album postponed because of a U2 album like this. Now... this?...:no:

Larry just laughed. Adam just yawned.

Unless they start dressing up in the Spiderman costume, I don't see any reason to be bothered about it- especially since people have no idea what it will be like.

Back
Top Bottom