Bono and Dylan story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Here's an excerpt from the upcoming Dylan book (Chronicles) with a great story about Bono introducing Dylan to Daniel Lanois. :up:

From Chronicles Vol 1, p. 174/175/176

"One night Bono, the singer from U2, was over for dinner with some other friends. Spending time with Bono was like eating dinner on a train - feels like you're moving, going somewhere. Bono's got the soul of an ancient poet and you have to be careful around him. He can roar 'til the earth shakes. He's also a closet philosopher. He brought a case of Guinness with him. We were talking about things that you talk about when you're spending the winter with somebody - talked about Jack Kerouac. Bono knows Kerouac's stuff pretty good. Kerouac, who celebrated American towns like Truckee, Fargo, Butte and Madora - towns that most Americans never heard of. It seems funny that Bono would know more about Kerouac than most Americans. Bono says things that can sway anybody. He's like that guy in the old movie, the one who beats up a rat with his bare hands and wrings a confession out of him. If Bono had come to America in the early part of the century he would have been a cop. He seems to know a lot about America and what he doesn't, he's curious about."

[snip]

"It was just me and Bono sitting around the table. Everyone else was scattered about. My wife came by and said she was going up to bed. "Go on up," I said. "I'm going up in a minute." It took me a while to get there, though, and the case of Guinness was almost gone."

[snip]

"The night wore on. Out at sea, the lights of a freighter moved by every so often. Bono asked me if I'd had any new songs, any unrecorded ones. It just so happend that I did. I went into the other room and pulled them out of the drawer, brought them back and showed them to him. He looked them over, said I should record them. I said I wasn't so sure about that, thought that maybe I should pour lighter fluid over them - said that I had been having a hard time making records, making that work out. He said, "No, no," and he brought up the name Daniel Lanois ... said that U2 had worked with him and he had been a great partner - that he'd be perfect for me to work with - would have much to scramble into the mix. Lanois had musical ideas that were compatible to mine. Bono picked up the phone and dialed the man, put him on the phone with me and we spoke for a moment. Basically, what Lanois said was that he was working out of New Orleans and told me that if I was ever there, I should look him up. I said that I would do that. To be sure, I was in no hurry to record. Performing was what was on my mind first and foremost. If I ever did make another record, it would have to have something in common with that purpose. I had a clear road ahead and didn't want to blow the chance to regain my musical freedom. I needed to let things straighten out and not get mixep up anymore."

(I found this while browsing the newsgroups and thought it was a pretty neat story)

C ya!

Marty

AWESOME!!!! :applaud: Thanks Popmartijn! I like Bob even more now! :wink: I wonder if Bono has read that already, reading something like that about yourself that was said by a hero of yours must put him in heaven. I bet this book must be great! :up:

Here's to Bob. *raises a glass of Guiness*

Bono would be cool in a movie where he could play a tough character like Bob mentioned. That would be so awesome!

MrBrau1 said:
When's this from? I thought Dylan was po'ed at Bono for having a big mouth?

This is from Chronicles, which is the upcoming Dylan autobiography. And I think Dylan wasn't much po'ed at Bono for having a big mouth, but probably irritated a bit (a few times? Don't know the exact specifics) for telling some private conversations in public. But nothing which was cause for a long-standing grudge.

C ya!

Marty

So basically, Bono is responsible, in a roundabout way...for Time out of Mind. And for Dylan recording again which brought us Love & Theft. Thank you, Bono.

Wow, what an intriguing story. I bet eating dinner with Bono would feel like you were going on a train. And yes, he does have the soul of an ancient poet. That's why we like him so much.

iota said:
So basically, Bono is responsible, in a roundabout way...for Time out of Mind. And for Dylan recording again which brought us Love & Theft. Thank you, Bono.

And just as significantly, for Oh Mercy. If you don't have that album, get it... NOW!
*adores Most Of The Time from that album :love:*

Popmartijn said:

And just as significantly, for Oh Mercy. If you don't have that album, get it... NOW!

I think Oh Mercy is my favorite Dylan album. It's at least the one that made me go back and listen to the others again.

thank you daniel lanois...so brilliant!

Popmartijn said:

I believe that the quote from Dylan's book relates to Oh Mercy. Dylan recounts the making of Oh Mercy in his autobiography - and he would have known Lanois already when he recorded Time Out of Mind.

As for the album, I agree on Most of the Time. What a song. The whole album is amazing, but so is the bulk of Dylan's work. Time Out of Mind is also great, though I think surpassed by "Love & Theft", the album I felt should have won Album of the Year in 2002 at the Grammys. As big of a U2 fan that I am, I felt that it was a superior album, having a more timeless feel to it. Neither of them won, so the point is moot.

I look forward to reading Dylan's book. Over the past few years my appreciation and love for Dylan has actually grown beyond my love for U2 - something I'd have never thought would happen.

:up:

Wonder if he goes into the R&H collaborations... or if he wants to deny any involvement in it. :wink: "Hey, at least I wasn't in the movie!"

Back
Top Bottom