Bono: 3 OF THE NEW SONGS ARE CRAP!!.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allcub

The Fly
Ok Firstly; I took that line out of context..........I was watching The Late Late Show last Friday and they were paying tribute to Jim Sheridan of My Left Foot Fame. Well anyway Bono and Edge came on as special guests to pay their own tribute to Jim Sheridan. To fill you in - Jim was one of the characters on the scene back in the late 70s early 80s Dublin that supported the youthful U2 when they were surrounded by cynicism typical of the Dublin music scene back then.

But Anyway...........Bono was sayin that Jim always supported him through moments of self doubt and Pat Kenny asked Bono to give an example of experiencing self doubt. Bono looked at Edge and then continued to say that just last week they were laying down three tracks for the new album in London with a 40 piece orchestra and suddenly realised that the three songs were shite.......or not up to scratch......(or somethin like that). Pat asked if those songs were gonna be binned but Edge said no.....they were just gonna have to do go back and do more work on them. Then they got up and played a song (beautifully) with Daniel Lanois and his band (I think).

I thought it was kinda cool that they were so open about this experience in such a public forum and I guess that maybe that means they are confident enough with this new album to even say that about three of the tracks. Edge even talked about how they make their music and wait for the magic to happen.

But then again they've called Daniel Lanois in to help them in on the final straight and so maybe they are having problems tying up the loose ends. I think this album is gonna be a Monster one way or the other (in the best way!!)..........U2 playin with a 40 piece orchestra mixed with punk rock mixed with somethin magic and inevitably new. Anyway maybe all this has been documented somewhere else on the forum but I couldn't find it........apologies if it is. I just thought some of you might find it of interest.

*edit* I posted a similar post in Where the album has a name forum - we almost did it simoltaneuosly so it's ok.

I think the song they played was Falling at your feet. Bono said "we've never played this live, so if it's crap, we won't do it again".

:hyper: Think we will hear Falling at your feet on the next tour?

Yes, all 4 members of the band had apparently agreed the 3 songs with orchestra didn't work. It must have been fascinating to hear the band with a full orchestra. Maybe we will get a big ballad with an orchestra backing from U2 someday.

*edit* If they were adding touches like orchestra they must be near the finish

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
40 piece orchestra doesn't sound raw guitar rock to me...

Well if Metallica was able to succeed with a 100 piece orchestra backing them up, I think U2's music would sound awesome with it, because their type of music is more suited to it.

Metallica used conductor Michael Kamen for their S&M performance, the same man employed during a lot of the Passengers live spots. Sounded great... looking forward to hearing the aggregate, like the b-side of the Miss Sarajevo single.

The Who used orchestras. No one questions the fact that they rock... have some faith in the guys, this album will satisfy.

All i have to say is... Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

Of course, that was post AB.... I HIGHLY doubt the guys have that kinda darkness/energy in them.

Every new thing I hear just makes me bite my cuticles more.

*tries to be patient*

*looks forward to Cleveland trip and slane DVD*

Elvis said:

Of course, that was post AB.... I HIGHLY doubt the guys have that kinda darkness/energy in them.

I think you're right about the darkness vibe... but I really hope they still have the energy.

ok let me try that again for those who may have misread the first time... doesn't sound like RAW guitar rock to me...

yes... i know metallica did s&m... i own the album. and obviously i know about HMTMKMKM, seeing as my handle is a lyric from the friggin song... but i didn't say it doesn't sound like hard rock... i said it doesn't sound RAW, which has been a word thrown around a lot by people "in the know" to describe the new album... a 40 piece orchestra doesn't sound very RAW to me...

that being said... i don't care if it's raw or whatever the hell it is... i just want it to be good, which i'm sure it will be. i just made the comment because we keep hearing about this raw "just 4 guys in a room sound," and those 4 guys in a room have now become 44 guys... just sayin', that's all. u2 say a lot of things before an album is released, and the albums are always good, just never quite exactly what they said. atyclb was supposed to be a stripped guitar rock album too... after passengers, they said their next album was gonna be back to guitar rock... the next album was pop :shrug: i love both of those albums, but neither was what i'd call "guitar rock." i have a feeling this album won't be that raw war mixed with achtung baby album we've been hearing about, but it'll be great none-the-less. u2 just can't help but producing the crap out of it until... probably why they brought lanois in for a few days. i don't think they'll ever truely have a raw, stripped back record... but that's fine... as long as they keep crackin' out great tunes, i'll still be listening

Last edited:
When I heard about the orchestra sessions not working out, I was just heart broken. Alot of young people don't remember or have never probably heard of the Moody Blues, but they rocked, literally, with the London, New Orleans and many other symphony orchestras. I would have to read the album covers again. but anyway, If U2 can incorporate this sound into this album, and bring it on the road also, everyone will be blown away. IMHO Keeping fingers crossed.

POP started as a dance record. It changed, it evolved. It didnt end up as a dance record.

Just wait and see.

Expect Nothing.

Elvis said:

as i was scrolling through the replies before i got to yours i was thinking THE SAME THING.

i always wondered if U2 would ever capture the sound of that one song for an entire album.

david said:

as i was scrolling through the replies before i got to yours i was thinking THE SAME THING.

i always wondered if U2 would ever capture the sound of that one song for an entire album.

If they did... I think they'd capture a larger audience than they did with AB. I wish.

Well isn't HMTMKMKM just the Achtung Baby sound set to an even larger scope? It always sounds to me like it would have fit that album perfectly. I do agree that it would be interesting to see this sort of sound again though, U2 are at their best when they strive for epicness.

To be, HMTMKMKM is beyond AB.... altough it would fit... it perhaps would overpower the rest.

Didnt that song hit #1 for several weeks in a row?... and wasnt even an album single.

Unfortunately... I really do think the days and era of that U2 is long gone... its been over a decade.

hmm.. well Chris Thomas did produce Roxy Music.
maybe the boys have a bit of glam left in them after all...

of course, I highly doubt it too.

sue4u2 said:
When I heard about the orchestra sessions not working out, I was just heart broken. Alot of young people don't remember or have never probably heard of the Moody Blues, but they rocked, literally, with the London, New Orleans and many other symphony orchestras. I would have to read the album covers again. but anyway, If U2 can incorporate this sound into this album, and bring it on the road also, everyone will be blown away. IMHO Keeping fingers crossed.

AHHHH... the moody blues!!!
Mb5.GIF
Mb2.GIF
Mb6.GIF

well i was hoping for a raw "4 guys in a room" record... but eh... i guess we won't be getting that this time around either... that's ok... as long as it rocks, i'll be happy

3 songs does not constitute a record, so this news sheds no lite on what the album will sound like as a whole. What is does show is U2 are working on an album, and not rushing to finish. I like that.

I remember a comment made by Bono in the mid 80's about U2 never wanting to become the Moody Blues and backed by an orchestra (or something like that -- I'll have to check when I get home)

Maybe those 3 songs were slower (love?) songs with tempo a la All I want is you or Kite - I'm not sure they'd add orchestra to a faster song :shrug:
We know U2 tends to have one big love song on an album...

Ladies and gents, let me introduce you to the band...

on cello...ADAM CLAYTON!

on harp...EDGE!

on kettle drums...LARRY MULLEN JNR!

and your tenor tonight was no other then...BONO!

lol

New album, new songs, what's all the fuss about?

Listen...

I'm not bragging, I'm not gloating, I'm not showing off.... just sharing 2 previous experiences.

With both POP and ATYCLB, I was fortunate enough to hear individual tracks, as well as the entire albums months before they'd ever be heard by the public, both on and off the net.

In BOTH cases, the albums completely caught me off guard. Neither were 'as advertised' by Bono, Edge, or the media. With both, I'd say I listened to them 20-50 times when I first got them, just to really experience them, as well as hear all the details... to be able to really appreciate them.

In BOTH cases, they were the furthest thing from what I'd expected. But with each, I was pleasently surprised, even somewhat shocked. Sometimes I stepped back, thought to myself 'do I even like this song? am I supposed to like this song because its by U2? does this song suck and I'm forcing myself to like it?' and then I'd put it on repeat, over and over and over again.

U2 is a band I can't seem to get sick of (for long anyway), and what makes a good album, I've determined, isn't whether or not it's what I expect, or if a song is great, or even if it conveys the feeling I'm looking for U2 to emote. What does make a good album, is when you can listen to it over and over and over again, and it becomes a soundtrack to your life, or a period of it, when you don't get sick of a song because it's over played, and the song, and album, become a part of you.

On December 23rd, 1996 I was listening to Discotheque at full blast (on repeat of course), sitting in my black leather chair, working on a then young Interference.com. Whether I liked the song or not, it defined a moment in my life. 3 days later I leaked the song to the world, and Interference would be on it's way to becoming a very important part of my life, as well as other's.

Late August, 2000, I was with 3 other Interference'aholics visiting Dublin, Ireland for a week.... to see some U2 sites, explore the land, and of course see the Slane festival (no, not the one where U2 played - that was 2001). Everyday, I'd spend some time in a small little Internet Cafe in the Christ Church area, and on one day... two amazing things happened; I had a few emails waiting, the first of which would be telling me that I was going to be VIP'd to The Kitchen that night, and that my companions were welcome to join me (now this was incredible on it's own... I was already smiling from ear to ear). The next email contained a fairly sizeable attachment... beautifulday.mp3. Before the download even completed, I cranked up the speakers as high as they could go anticipating that I'd be blasting a brand new U2 song that no one had heard. I wasn't wrong. Every patron at the cafe stood up and came over, even the guy that worked there... "who is that?", "what song is that?", "is that the new U2?" were a few of the questions. It truly was a beautiful day, a beautiful trip, and in a beautiful place. Ireland and Dublin are absolutely amazing, and the Guinness ain't so bad either.

Anyway, why speculate? It's not going to be what you expect. U2 has constantly been changing, I wouldn't expect anything less this time around.

Enjoy the machine as it begins to roar, enjoy the music when it hits, and then try to make some sense out of it.... you know, after you listen to it 50 or so times in a row. Isn't that what this is all about anyway? or am I just nuts? ;)

Back
Top Bottom