Bold Positive Prediction: U2 To Mount The Mother Of All Comebacks (Thanks Mullen!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:
I really wish the people of Interference could read grey. Not everything is fucking black and white. Is the subtle humour and sarcasm so subtle that is requires constant explanation? Seems so.

Learn that our Jick is a mixed bag. There is a combination of humour, sarcasm and genuine thought in his posts. Either learn that it is not all the same all the way through his replies and posts, or accept that there is things in there you just dont get. Please do one or the other and stop this years old shit from going on and fucking on.

:banghead:

:yes:

Angela Harlem said:
I really wish the people of Interference could read grey. Not everything is fucking black and white. Is the subtle humour and sarcasm so subtle that is requires constant explanation? Seems so.

:banghead:

You know, some of us dont have 19000 posts to our name or have been here long enough to know the workings of some of the folks who post here.

As its a forum, a lot of things are raised and questioned. Correct me if I am wrong, but are there any rules which say you cannot ask someone to clarify or ask for constant explanation on topics they have posted on??

Or is it, to quote "so fucking black and white" that I've missed it completely?? Clearly its not subtle enough.

Don't call it a comeback, they been here for years. Rockin' the mic, putting suckas in tears.

Seriously. Comeback? I didn't kn ow they went anywhere....

Derek said:
Don't call it a comeback, they been here for years. Rockin' the mic, putting suckas in tears.

:dance: Best Post On This Thread ever.

whatever people are argueing about (and there's always gonna be someone who stands up and says "don't complain about someone else's post/ideas/criticism's/whatever; everyone's entitled to their own opinion"), my opinion on the original topic are thusly as such:

bon jovi = suck

u2 = suck not

with that, sweet friends, I bid you
HOO-HA.

Lancemc said:
All I know is that everyone else's opinion except mine is shit.:yes:

yes, but that's all that YOU know;

see, reality and a slanted madness are subjective to us all except the almighty.

I guess.

Lancemc said:
All I know is that everyone else's opinion except mine is shit.:yes:

In case I missed it, can you please re-iterate your opinion of the comeback and The Mullen Apology?

Cheers,

J

jick said:

This is getting too far off topic but I am not a RHCP fan. I don't think their career mirrors U2. If anything it would be Bon Jovi.

Slippery When Wet = Joshua Tree (pinnacle in sales for both)
New Jersey = Rattle & Hum (album released right after the pinnacle album)
Keep The Faith = Achtung Baby (both bands exploring new types of sounds)
These Days = Pop (commercially less successful then previous efforts)
Crush = All That You Can't Leave Behind (a return to commercial success)

The difference is Bon Jovi just followed the basic "one comeback rule" and they had theirs with Crush. Their next album, Bounce, tanked. Then their "One Million Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong" is boxed set that was only for the hardcore fans so commercially very unsuccessful. So from the early 80's up to 2000 or 2001, Bon Jovi was right up there with U2 in terms of longevity and staying power in the mainstream success road. But with the failure of Bounce and U2's imminent second comeback, it looks like Bon Jovi will get run over. But before that they were toe to toe with U2 - and were the closest to matching U2's staying power.

So there you go, I even veered farther off topic because I am not a RHCP fan and think your comparison doesn't quite match up. U2 are better compared to Bon Jovi.

But then this post isn't that far off topic. I still got to mention second comeback somewhere here.
Cheers,

J

Off topic... but Jick, the fact that you always mention Bon Jovi is one of the many things that has convinced me that you're a total wind-up merchant.:yes:

jick said:

Except for Zooropa, U2 were never alternative. They have always labelled themselves as POP. As for REM, I was never really a fan. They were just a one-hit-wonder "Losing My Religion" band. Before and after that song they were basically nobodies. The only thing going for U2 and REM are that they are friends. But then again, Bon Jovi also hung out with U2 during one of their Cleveland gigs.

Cheers,

J

REM a "one-hit wonder" band? Oh dear. That's hardly the case now is it? You'll have to do better than that!

sallycinnamon78 said:

One love, one blood, etc.

worst context of quoting a song lyric ever.

damn......that took me out.....that was like being in a real chill state, you know, hanging with some friends or your girl and everything seems right with the universe....and then all of a sudden an insurance saleman comes up to you with a bow-tie on and is like "EXCUSE ME SIR......CAN I INTEREST YOU IN AN INSURANCE POLICY??"

*needs a moment of silence*

:eyebrow: Oh come on. That was just a bit of deliberate silliness to lighten the mood. I thought that much was bloody obvious, as nobody would be stupid enough to quote that lyric - or react to someone quoting that lyric - in a post like this. :rolleyes: Good grief... lighten up for God's sake. This silly little debate isn't particularly important in the grand scheme of things. Consider discovering a sense of humour and a bit of perspective, perhaps? Grow up. No offence intended.

Party Boy said:

Ultimately every post made is their subjective assessment. Your view of Bon Jovi is your subjective assessment. Everyone is entitled to it - am not arguing that.

Quite so.

Last edited:
jick said:

Being an avid U2 fan, any threat to U2 alarms me. So far their stiffest and most recent competition was Bon Jovi - so I kept tabs with them to see to it that they haven't overtaken U2.

Cheers,

J

How can you state Bon Jovi is in the same category as U2? I mean WTF!?

sallycinnamon78 said:
:eyebrow: Oh come on. That was just a bit of deliberate silliness to lighten the mood. I thought that much was bloody obvious, as nobody would be stupid enough to quote that lyric - or react to someone quoting that lyric - in a post like this. :rolleyes: Good grief... lighten up for God's sake.

Quite so. [/B]

err....perhaps you missed the sarcasm in my post.

ah well sally, you're ok in my book.:wink:

:ohmy:

I suppose I misjudged that!

My excuse is that it's nearly 5AM and I haven't slept in over 30 hours so I guess I'm not at my best. Even sarcasm is going oveer my head at the moment! :)

Glad to know that you approve. ;)

Hey to the guy who said "U2 fell a notch with the pre sale fiasco."........you are completely wrong, completely wrong

U2 fell a notch with a pre sale fiasco?
what the fuck are you, drunk, high, crazy, depressed, ah?
what the fuck?

Party Boy said:

You know, some of us dont have 19000 posts to our name or have been here long enough to know the workings of some of the folks who post here.

As its a forum, a lot of things are raised and questioned. Correct me if I am wrong, but are there any rules which say you cannot ask someone to clarify or ask for constant explanation on topics they have posted on??

Or is it, to quote "so fucking black and white" that I've missed it completely?? Clearly its not subtle enough.

lol. If anyone hasn't been around so long that they might have an understanding of jick, I'd only hope they aren't one of the people who are very quick to reply to everything with the same old "here's jick with his negativity again". What I was referring to though, was how this has been happening for years with Jick. Some people have known him for years. Some are still saying it. Thats all. I dont think jick minds in the slightest of people ask him for elaboration, which is entirely different.

Angela Harlem said:

lol. I dont think jick minds in the slightest of people ask him for elaboration, which is entirely different.

That could work... as an replacement for Elevation:

ELABO-RA-SHUN! WOOOOOHOOO!WOOOHOOO! etc.

Last edited:
Jick's premise presupposes, stupidly, that there is this vast U2 audience that was laying low before they purchased HTDAAB to see how U2 handled the demand for concert tickets. That's quite a stretch, and patently absurd.

Think about it - Mullen's letter was directed to core U2 fans on one specific web site. It wasn't making headlines on the "Today Show" or "Entertainment Tonight". I didn't see it draped all over the entertainment sections of newspapers.

If anything, the publicity that the ticket debacle created was probably a good thing. Why? Because it showed those who are the more casual U2 fans that U2 is still quite relevant by their ability to sell out wordwide concerts in 5 to 6 seconds. Thus, it creates an extra layer of buzz and the casual purchaser decides the new album must be something decent afterall. Proving once again, that there is something to be said for the theory that any publicity - good or bad - is likely good.

bw in dc said:
Jick's premise presupposes, stupidly, that there is this vast U2 audience that was laying low before they purchased HTDAAB to see how U2 handled the demand for concert tickets. That's quite a stretch, and patently absurd.

:yes:
Call it creative licence, call it tongue in cheek, and you'd even call it trolling if people are taking this at complete face value. I sincerely doubt that jick meant this as a deadpan honest opinion all the way through.

:up:

sallycinnamon78 said:

My excuse is that it's nearly 5AM and I haven't slept in over 30 hours so I guess I'm not at my best.

I got you lady; I'm somewhat sleep deprived right now myself, and I worked all day and can't sleep yet.

let's meet up for an espresso.:happy:

JOFO said:

I got you lady; I'm somewhat sleep deprived right now myself, and I worked all day and can't sleep yet.

let's meet up for an espresso.:happy:

Don't think espresso will solve our insomnia problems!! :lol:

To all those guys laughing at me before for this post - I guess now you are all hiding your faces.

Now you must all see the wisdom of my post!

All of you laughed at the concept of this earth-shaking Mullen Apology. But guess what? It has gone beyond just Internet. It's now showbiz.

The Mullen Apology was just verbalized in this year's biggest musical event! What a stage to let it out! It truly is one of the most touching artist-to-fan moments in rock-n-roll history! Just check out all the gushing replies in the other threads in this forum.

The evidence is clear - U2 give a rousing performance of Sometimes You Can't Make It On You Own. No standing ovation. Why? Because most of the crowd were disgruntled potential ticket buyers who couldn't secure a ticket to the Vertigo Tour. They wanted U2 to know their wrath. And since most of them were celebrities - they really weren't Internet users and had not yet been exposed to The Mullen Apology.

But after The Mullen Apology was verbalized in global TV to 86 countries in 44 different languages, he got a standing ovation! The song doesn't get a standing ovation but The Mullen Apology does.

I do believe The Mullen Apology will trigger a massive climb up the American charts for a faltering album that has dropped to #31. Anyone who says otherwise --- well you really can't argue! Just wait for the week 12 USA results (which will be aided by the written version of The Mullen Apology) and the week 13 USA results (which will be aided by the primtetime verbal version of The Mullen Apology).

Mullen is truly one of the most important members of U2, and he is the one who tries the best to bridge the gap between artist and fan!

Three cheers for Mullen...

Cheers...

Cheers....

Cheers....

J

Love the cheers, by the way Jick you seem to make educated guesses that have an uncanny sucess rate in that many of them become fact:wink:

I forgot to add, here is hard proof how touching the primtetime version of The Mullen Apology really was:

http://forum.interference.com/t114152.html

Don't be fooled into thinking that Mullen is a terror no-smiles scary kinda guy just because he was born on Halloween. He really has a soft spot for the fans deep inside. Mullen is my man.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
To all those guys laughing at me before for this post - I guess now you are all hiding your faces.

Now you must all see the wisdom of my post!

All of you laughed at the concept of this earth-shaking Mullen Apology. But guess what? It has gone beyond just Internet. It's now showbiz.

The Mullen Apology was just verbalized in this year's biggest musical event! What a stage to let it out! It truly is one of the most touching artist-to-fan moments in rock-n-roll history! Just check out all the gushing replies in the other threads in this forum.

The evidence is clear - U2 give a rousing performance of Sometimes You Can't Make It On You Own. No standing ovation. Why? Because most of the crowd were disgruntled potential ticket buyers who couldn't secure a ticket to the Vertigo Tour. They wanted U2 to know their wrath. And since most of them were celebrities - they really weren't Internet users and had not yet been exposed to The Mullen Apology.

But after The Mullen Apology was verbalized in global TV to 86 countries in 44 different languages, he got a standing ovation! The song doesn't get a standing ovation but The Mullen Apology does.

I do believe The Mullen Apology will trigger a massive climb up the American charts for a faltering album that has dropped to #31. Anyone who says otherwise --- well you really can't argue! Just wait for the week 12 USA results (which will be aided by the written version of The Mullen Apology) and the week 13 USA results (which will be aided by the primtetime verbal version of The Mullen Apology).

Mullen is truly one of the most important members of U2, and he is the one who tries the best to bridge the gap between artist and fan!

Three cheers for Mullen...

Cheers...

Cheers....

Cheers....

J

You should check yourself into a psychiatric clinic as soon as possible... and don’t come back. For some reason you think all of this overdramatic and unnecessary stretch of every thing that happens concerning U2 is funny. It really isn't funny, witty or even too interesting.

Back
Top Bottom