Bliss in a U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge_2125

The Fly
I've not listened to U2 that much of late but the one thing that always draws me back - and I'm sure the same applies to an awful lot of you - is what, and how much, I feel when I listen to them. Whatever has happened in my life over the last five years, be it good or bad, there's always been U2. And there are some parts in their songs, live and studio, where I feel something akin to... bliss. I don't know how else to describe it.

Some of my favourite such moments:

Bad
On the ZooTV Dublin bootleg, Bono's falsetto on the 'I'm wide awake.' Most versions of 'Bad' are awesome, but this one is my absolute favourite, just for how beautiful that part sounds.

Mysterious Ways
The second solo on the ZooTV Dublin bootleg with Bono moaning and shrieking over it: 'I'll take you places you ain't ever seen' - it feels like the song does just that.

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
The chorus just explodes! Such a happy, happy song.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress
The guitar throughout but especially before 'Sunlight, sunlight fills your room.'

Walk To The Water
The guitar just after the 'Let me love you' is simply one of the most beautiful bits of music U2's ever recorded.

Running To Stand Still
The version on the Chicago DVD: especially from when Adam and Larry come in, through till Bono's mini-solo and the closing Hallelujahs.

Ok, way too long. :wink: There are plenty of others but these just stand out to me right now. What are yours?

edge_2125 said:
The guitar throughout but especially before 'Sunlight, sunlight fills your room.'

Nice catch. This is indeed bliss. Too many to name, but the most recent is definitely in Original of the Species:

you shout about it...oh my my leading up to and you feel like no one before...

The planets align at this point.

My most recent blissful discovery... Miss Sarajevo Live... on the 3rd leg of the tour, i really had no idea what i was in for with this song.... when i heard Bono belt that Pavoratti part, i melted... it's all i could think about for days... and i still can't get over it... i found a good bootleg of that song and i play it over and over... i get chills every time... it's breathtaking...

I agree with you ultravioletluvv: @msg 2x 3rd leg Miss Sarajevo was breathtaking, I thought I would faint. MLK on Unforgettable Fire hits my soul.:bow:

the end of stuck in a moment
the beginning of streets
i agree with BAD
the end of Vertigo ONE
CHRISTMAS BABY PLEASE COME HOME, yes!! =)
when everyone sings along to with or without you <3

edge_2125 said:

Mysterious Ways
The second solo on the ZooTV Dublin bootleg with Bono moaning and shrieking over it: 'I'll take you places you ain't ever seen' - it feels like the song does just that.

Yes yes.... on both counts! :drool:

the new live versions Stuck in a Moment -- when the band kicks in at the very end, it's just :drool: :drool: :drool:

all of Streets

the Solo& last chorus of The Fly

Mercy, especially the chorus

Electric Co., especially the awesome OUTRO :rockon: :rockon:

I will repeat soem already mentioned...

Streets Live... "The journey to equality goes on ON..." and the music itself.

Miss Sarajevo Live- I wasn't expecting something like that... I still shiver when I think about it.

OOTS - All of it.

Please... "So you never know what was on the ground till they made you crawl" / "But love is not what you're thinking of"

40... the only thing I don't like about this song is that it means that the concert is over ;)

edge_2125 said:

Walk To The Water
The guitar just after the 'Let me love you' is simply one of the most beautiful bits of music U2's ever recorded.

Yes, beautiful solos from Edge there.

Favorite studio moments for me:

Running to stand still; the falsetto from Bono & the music getting louder towards the last verse

So cruel: "love, like a dying flower, love, dying every hour" and the music after that but before the "fear or desire" verse

One: when Bono howls "did I ask too much, more than alot, you gave me nothing now it's all I've got"

Stay: "stay, with the spirit I found, stay with the demons I drowned, stay and the night would be enough" and the ending falsetto.

Sometimes: "I know that we don't talk, I'm sick of it all , can you hear me when I SING, you're the reason I sing, you're the reason why the opera is in me"

Re: Re: Bliss in a U2 Song

U2girl said:

Sometimes: "I know that we don't talk, I'm sick of it all , can you hear me when I SING, you're the reason I sing, you're the reason why the opera is in me"

I cannot hear that without tearing up- reminds me so much of my dad.

My other favorites:

the part already mentioned in Stay- "STAAAAAYYYY and the night would be enough"

Deep in the Heart- when he says all breathless "Angel, I wanna be alone tonight" (OH DAMN Bono Baby) and the guitar goes into this quiet wail like an echo, like two things collide finally or something. That song is so sexual. One of my favorite U2 songs ever.

Elvis Presley and America- the whole thing.

I have so many. I love this thread by the way. I know that most of my favorite parts in U2 songs are simply the inflections in Bono's voice. He's so incredible.

OH MY GOD! I almost forgot!
If God Will Send His Angels- "So where is the hope, and where is the faith and the LOVE? What's that you said to me?!" followed by "The next minute you're blowing a fuse and the cartoon network turns INTO THE NEWS..."

That is pure bliss. Ahhhhh:drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
"Please" Live :drool: :drool: :drool:

Besides Streets (which is #1 in terms of music, bliss, goosebumps, etc.) Please has like the best climactic rush of energy leading up to Edge's little solo with Bono doing his weird seizure-ish moans. :lol:

how about this one...

"oh, save me...what are we gonna now it's all been said, no new ideas in the house and evey book has been read...(solo)"

Oh I forgot one. Bono's falsetto and Edge's notes at the end of One. Again, even better live especially after the whole "do you hear me comin' Lord". That give's me goosebumps every time! :drool:

OOTS - especially this part:

And you FEEEEEEEEEL like no one before,
you STEEEEEAL right under my door

And of course One, Miss Sarajevo, Running to stand still...

Last edited:
catlhere said:
Oh I forgot one. Bono's falsetto and Edge's notes at the end of One. Again, even better live especially after the whole "do you hear me comin' Lord". That give's me goosebumps every time! :drool:

:up: How could I forget that??? And also in the end of WOWY - We will shine like stars in a summer night...

Right now Mercy does it for me. That song seems to transport me to another time and place. I feel like a younger boy when I listen to it. Almost like I haven't loved before and I find myself seaching for that feeling and wondering what it is all about.

Kite.... "I'm a maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I'm not a child... A maaaaaaaaaan who seeeees the shadow behind your eyes..."

Not just Bono's vocals but Edge's guitar is so amazingly beautiful... gives me chills everytime...

studio:
native son-"FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Levitate-"who could stop us now..."

The Fly-"Achtung Baby (enter edge solo)"

Beautiful Day-Last verse

Original of the species-All

LIVE!:

Vertigo: Stories for boys part

Walk on: Halleluyah (slane)

Miracle Drug: Edge part

Streets-ALL
:drool:

The guitar solo in All I Want is You, with the guitar buildup and Bono's "All I want is youuuu!"'s leading up to it. Especially live, with the crowd chanting along afterward. :drool:

And also all of Until The End of the World.

edge_2125 said:
Bad
On the ZooTV Dublin bootleg, Bono's falsetto on the 'I'm wide awake.' Most versions of 'Bad' are awesome, but this one is my absolute favourite, just for how beautiful that part sounds.

Really? Maybe this is just me, but i thought Bono butchered the best of the song by doing that falsetto. I don't know, maybe i'm wrong though:shrug:

This is a GREAT thread!!! All the "moments" mentioned so far I have to say I completely agree with.

I'm in love with OOTS as a whole. And just to add to the list, for me the intro/ bass line for WOWY hits me every single time :drool:

Back
Top Bottom