Blender's Greatest 500 Songs Since You Were Born

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeVox

War Child
1. Bilie Jean - Michael Jackson
2. B.O.B. - Outkast
3. Sweet Child of Mine - Guns & Roses

4. One
U2
The misunderstood breakup song that kept the band together
by Laura Sinagra

In the summer of 2005, no one was surprised to see Bono speaking out on world poverty from the stage at Live 8 one week, then giving a shout-out to Johnny Drama on HBO’s Entourage the next. But it wasn’t always that way. The U2 we now know — as anchored in the swirl of pop culture as in world politics — only emerged with 1991’s Achtung Baby album. And Achtung Baby would never have happened without “One.” In fact, U2 might not still be around today had they not stumbled upon this universally loved—though often misunderstood—ballad of struggle and fellowship.

“It amazes me,” Bono has said, “when people tell me they played it at their wedding or for comfort at a funeral. I go to myself, ‘Are you crazy? It’s about breaking up!’” Indeed, when the song was written, it seemed like the end of the line for the band itself. The four members were at a creative impasse after 1988’s bloated Rattle and Hum had left them pegged as tedious and pretentious. Pushing to change the band’s formula, a burned-out Bono and guitarist Edge were gravitating toward an interest in electronics; the rhythm section, consisting of Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr., wanted to continue in the same anthemic direction that had made them platinum stars.

In late 1990 they had begun recording at Hansa studios in Berlin, where David Bowie and Iggy Pop worked up some of the ’70s’ best rock experiments. But after a few weeks, the location was starting to seem ill-chosen. Just yards from the recently toppled Berlin Wall, the band watched a city realize that unification alone wasn’t going to solve all its problems. Recalled engineer Flood: “There seemed to be this dark cloud hanging over the whole session.”

Then producer Daniel Lanois heard Bono working on some middle-eight fragments and, elsewhere, the Edge toying with a guitar line that sounded promising. He got the band together, and they reluctantly began to play what would become the basic structure of “One.” Immediately, the Edge said, “Everyone recognized it was a special piece. It was like we’d caught a glimpse of what the song could be.”

The finished product retains that initial hypnotic feeling. The opening, echoing guitar sounds more like a sad fade-out coda than a beginning — tenuous, even defeated. And when Bono’s voice enters, it’s with an exhausted question routinely asked by doctors, mothers and, most important, lovers who want permission to leave without being the bad guy: “Is it getting better, or do you feel the same?” Then, as he muddles through that achingly familiar script, something changes. Lines that could be pulled from any doomed couple’s final argument are capped by a larger idea when Bono sings the words “One love,” a little ambivalently. Of course, any devout Rastafarian or dorm-room pothead will recognize “One love” as Bob Marley’s call for solidarity among the poor — it’s as if Bono, while he ponders his failure to rescue a troubled partner, starts to consider his failure to save the world. The Edge’s guitar punctuates his every statement with a tight little riptide swirl, the sound of weariness in the face of a challenge to “do what ya should.” Amid these doubts, the drums and bass continue to urge Bono on to a nobler goal.

The complexity of “One” led to the band’s filming three different videos for it. One featured Bono alone in a bar, ruminating over a cigarette. Another gestured toward the AIDS crisis, with the band in drag and shots of Bono’s aging father, leading to speculation that the lyrics concerned the difficulty of communicating across generation gaps. A third took up the band’s beloved American themes again, showing a buffalo running in a field. Indeed, the song got the Americana stamp of approval when it was eventually covered by Johnny Cash, who stripped the song to its raw core.

“One,” which never actually made it to No. 1, charting only at No. 10, is certainly a breakup song. But it’s also very much about the duty to stay together, about finding some kind of connection in times of war, fragmentation, plague, poverty and cultural difference. About being too cynical to believe in the hippie version of global oneness, but too much of a believer to reject it.

“There’s the idea that ‘we get to carry each other,’” said the Edge of his favorite lyric. “‘Get to’ is the key. The original lyric was ‘We have to carry each other,’ and it was never quite right—it was too fuckin’ obvious and platitudinous. But ‘get to’ … it’s like our privilege to carry one another.”
Available on: Achtung Baby (Island)

I was procrastinating and I found this at www.blender.com.........not sure if they place anywhere else.........pretty cool to see it ahead of Smells like Teen Spirit for a change but where the hell did B.O.B. by Outkast come from??

Xavier

63. "Beautiful Day"
U2 [2000]
How wanking off in the studio sometimes leads to global hits.

During a jam on another song, "Always," Bono yelled "it's a beautiful day," and producer Daniel Lanois convinced him to turn it into a chorus. The new song came together around that line: a vision of abandoning material things and finding grace in the world itself. Lanois described "Beautiful Day" as "one of those little gifts where you think, my god, we've got it!" The single went on to top the charts around the globe and won three Grammys.
Available on: All That You Can't Leave Behind (Interscope)

I'd rant about One being totally over-rated, but this list has no credibility. There's no way that those 3 songs ahead of One deserve the title of 'great'.

oh I agree, completely........reading Blender to me is more about entertainment than musical credibility...some of these entries are intentionally controversial. I remember Blender placing the Doors as one of the worst bands ever.... Though I do get a kick out of reading lists that try to gauge pop culture

Xavier

214. I Will Follow
U2 [1980] They were on the outside—but not for long.
The first song on U2's first album introduced the guitar sound that would define their work: A crisp-sounding vibration that reached all the way to the cheap seats—musicologists refer to this as “that cool chiming guitar thing the Edge does.” The arena-ready clarion call also established Bono's trademark lyrical earnestness, one of the reasons the song remains a fan favorite and a staple of the band's recent tours.
Available on: Boy (Island)

Gah I hate top anything lists. Personal taste is like the ass - divided.

268. With or Without You
U2 [1987]
Guitars wail, Bono weeps and stadiums worldwide simultaneously melt.
Available on: The Joshua Tree (Island)

443. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
U2 [1987]
Heart-wrenching, majestic rock for anyone who's ever misplaced his remote.
Available on: The Joshua Tree (Island)

well yeah 'One' is above everything ever made:bow:
what was placed above?
Sweet child o'mine?
Billie Jean?

what the fuck is this?:madspit:

I agree too- One will stand the test of time. In another ten years the three ahead of it will not even be on the same list, let alone in the same spots, but One will still be in the top five, or maybe at number ONE where it belongs.

Kudos to Daniel Lanios as well- you start to realize he really is the fifth member of the band. Musical genius.

Billie Jean is fantastic though. And remember, it has been around longre than one.

Sweet child of mine.. well it is pretty special to. But not outkast, no way

Billie Jean is a classic that will be around forever and will infintley be more popular than One.

One is my fave song of all time though (esp helped by all the amazing live versions)

My fave Jacko song is Man In The Mirror (which is prob my 2nd fave song - also has some wicked live versions)

I like reading lists like these, but only for sheer entertainment value, and to maybe be inspired to check out a song I'd never heard before.

There's no use in getting all cheesed off about anything on the list - common sense will tell you it's all subjective.

I like Blender magazine - they cover a wide variety of music and are often very funny. They could stand to have less scantily-clad chicks on the cover, but I can live with it.

Outkast's B.O.B. is a crazy song ... in a completely awesomely good way. :drool:

chickadee said:
'One' is my fave song, ever.

:yes:

Billie Jean and Sweet Child 'O Mine better than One? :eyebrow: I could think of plenty of songs that I wouldn't mind being ahead of One (though I think One is the greatest song ever), but not those two.

B.O.B... fuckin' great song, I think some people don't give Outkast the respect they deserve just because they're rap or whatever. But I wouldn't put B.O.B. before One, or probably not even the top 10.

There's a version floating around somewhere of B.O.B. with Tom Morello though... :drool:

Wouldn't Hey Ya have been a more expected OutKast choice?

Because that really is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

And for you hip-hop slaggers out there, it isn't even a rap song. I think it was even written on guitar.

Sweet Child of Mine, like it or not, is a great song. That guitar solo is, no pun intended, one in a million. And it's better than anything that ever oozed out of Aerosmith's ass.

As for U2, where the fuck is Bad? It should be higher than the test-tube radio concoction of Beautiful Day.

B.O.B.=One of my favorite songs of all time. Seriously.

Lists are fun, nothing to take seriously though. Especially Blender lists. Though they were right about the Doors....:p

lazarus said:
Wouldn't Hey Ya have been a more expected OutKast choice?

Because that really is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

God no. Outkast have WAY more better songs than that damn song. The most overplayed damn song of 2003 and 2004.

david said:

God no. Outkast have WAY more better songs than that damn song. The most overplayed damn song of 2003 and 2004.

Plus in my opinion, that just always seemed like Andre3000's song, not really OutKast's. Does Big Boi even do anything on it? Besides appearing in the video. lol.

Back
Top Bottom