Best Version Of The Fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really didnt like the Elevation tour version. I dont know, that was just me. Anything from ZooTV was great. Album is great. Even the bizarre acoustic version I have on a bootleg is good (Bono sings with a country accent).

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys but the Elevation version was probably the best. It was a bit of a surprise with the intro, and the fact they hadn't played it in a while made it a kickass addition right before the encore.

Do you mean remix versions? I only know of the Lounge Fly mix, but I liked the full-length album version better...
Great song in any form.

hmm, flashing video screens, everything you know is wrong, watch more tv. man that song rocked during zoo tv. what a visual and audio overload!

The version from the Boston DVD, maybe it is the sound quality but that version sounds even better than everything else on the elevation tour!! So powerful!!

Yeah, I have mp3's of the Elevation version for Boston and Pittsburgh. Boston is better, I think cause of the quality.

Hello,

I also have to say that I like the live version from the Elevation Tour best. As for which show, I don't have a preference. IMO, all versions of that tour are of a constant quality. Maybe the earlier ones are still a bit shakey, but for the rest they sound really good. So yes, I would also go with the Boston DVD version (although there are also some great quality bootlegs with The Fly on it).

C ya!

Marty

P.S. I still think that the ZooTV version was more a visual than an aural experience, i.e. you had to see that song live, but not necessarly hear it.

That's cool that so many of you like the Elevation version. Kinda suprises me. I've never cared for it too much, sounds like Bill the Butcher went crazy on it with his knives and butchered it into pieces to me. To each their own.

The Zoo TV version no doubt. Bono sang it perfectly and the Edge's guitar burned!! Larry and Adam kept the beat pumping and rolling at the same time. The screens flashing all those words in the matter of miliseconds...the Zoo TV versioned RULED!! Of course I was there for three shows, so I'm biased!

Elevation if I had to pick, but I also like the album and Zoo TV versions.

I really like the Charlotte (29 March) for the really weird sound in the "conscience can sometimes be a past" verse and in the end, and Buffalo (31 May) where it sounds like Edge is playing a bunch of tuned in chainsaws.

I like both. But the ZOO TV-version had something magic, like all the song on that tour...
Listen to the Rotterdam version (Bono's Birthday Pary). Guitars are slightly different in the beginning. Fantastic!

I don't feel any live performance of this song took the song onto a higher level above the album recording..but best live version would be Zoo Tv for me

I like both versions because they are different. Zoo TV is in a better key and heavier because of that but there's more passion in the Elevation version. Probably because its an outro song and they give it all they got before taking a breather. And that new intro is so cool.

Hmmmm, I think I would have to say the version from Montreal, I think it was 5/28 when Bono rolled around with MelPop, Bono is obviously very into the song and the moaning is quite intense:yes::silent:

I agree with Popmartijn, the Elevation ones were nearly always fantastic. I particularly like the ones from Chicago on the first leg, but that's just a personal preference, probably because it's all nostalgic. :)

Remember... In 1992-3 The Fly was performed by The Fly. In 2001, The Fly was performed by Bono. This two versions are very good, by I like ZooTV, I love ZooTV :D:D

Back
Top Bottom